Parlee Z Series Frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jitensha

by Jitensha

I haven't seen as many recent discussions about the Parlee Z1, Z2, and Z3 frames. I'd like to get a heat check on these frames-- has their time passed or are they still sought after? For example, is something like a Colnago C60 much more desirable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Colnagos are much more sought after IMO. They have a larger following. The Z1 was a custom frame. The Z2/Z3 was available in semi-custom. I think because of that people aren't really looking for them in the used market. It's hard to sell custom geometry.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Every time I go to my lbs they've got a couple getting built up

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Time has indeed cooled the way the world views these frames, particularly Z1-4.

On the other hand, this makes them are exceptional value for money in the second hand market - far more so than Colnagos.

Time has not changed the almost magical ride quality, but I suspect they are less stiff than the larger-tubed newer Colnago frames.

mrgray

by mrgray

Yeah I've owned lots of colnago and sold lots too. Had a z3. Very similar bikes imho. Parlee bit cheaper and a bit harder to sell. Both very well made sturdy bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

llhh

by llhh

Having built up a Z1 few years back, the best thing about the frame (in addition to overall ride quality) is that the very moment you start riding it, you stop looking at any other bikes. Having previously ridden Colnagos, Pinarellos for the best part of my life, there was a constant urge to change for later model, upgrade, build, tune etc. Z1 is just so timeless and so different from the crowd that it allows you to finally focus on cycling, not reluctantly following the aero-frame-venge-disc-brake fashion show. Never going to sell mine for sure.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

Jitensha

by Jitensha

llhh wrote:Having built up a Z1 few years back, the best thing about the frame (in addition to overall ride quality) is that the very moment you start riding it, you stop looking at any other bikes. Having previously ridden Colnagos, Pinarellos for the best part of my life, there was a constant urge to change for later model, upgrade, build, tune etc. Z1 is just so timeless and so different from the crowd that it allows you to finally focus on cycling, not reluctantly following the aero-frame-venge-disc-brake fashion show. Never going to sell mine for sure.

This is a great point and it's the reason I bought my Z3. It is a timeless frame that takes you completely out of the upgrade cycle. My only hesitation about the C60 is that it has been on the market for several years and a replacement must be due soon. Knowing that C60 values will drop like a rock when the new model comes makes me think twice about letting go of my Z3.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

Honestly, when the person who runs a dream bike factory could choose anything and chooses a Parlee Z1, I think that says a lot.
Here's a story of a #pinkparlee Z1

_SJ_

by _SJ_

I will never even contemplate selling my Z3. This one is for keeps.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I would contemplate selling my Z3, but only because my Z4 is so good.

Musiker

by Musiker

Still love my Z5 - And it totally took me out of the N+1 game (atleast in terms of roadbike frames).. Will I never upgrade? Dunno, I could be tempted for a new Parlee if I feel the improvements are great enough (internal routing, aero, weight)...

AJS914

by AJS914

I went from a Z4 to a Colnago C59. The C59's ride quality is so much better that the C59 took me out of the N+1 game. I liked the Z4 just fine and really wasn't looking for another bike but the deal on the C59 came along and I thought I'd try it. It's made me a Colnago fan. The Z4 also built up 1/2 pound (200 grams) lighter but I'll take the weight penalty and the better ride quality of the C59.

That said, the Z4/Z5 frames are really good deals in the used market.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

the best bikes are the ones peloton proven, with companies that can invest millions into R&D, simple as that

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

waltthizzney wrote:the best bikes are the ones peloton proven, with companies that can invest millions into R&D, simple as that

Unless of course you use the bike differently than the pro peloton does. Then the opposite might be true.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Or of course, when the peloton is actually riding a re-badged custom Parlee.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com