SRAM Red 22 Crankset in a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2015 with BB30A?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nonamed

by nonamed

odessouky wrote:
Valbrona wrote:You need a SRAM BB30 bearing assembly. These fit both BB30 and BB30A bottom bracket shells: https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-bb30-b ... t-EV136208

The above part will come with a wave washer and some spacers, however, you should also obtain some additional axle spacers with a 30mm diameter hole in them. One of these would be useful: https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-bb30-2- ... r-00101795 But a couple of 1mm thickness spacers might also be needed.

The instruction manual that comes with the bearing assembly will show you how to install. But you need a bearing press ... so a job for a bike shop. Expect most bike shops to have a selection of 30mm axle spacers.

Many many thanks. I suppose the video I posted is not the one for me. I'll go to ,Evans today and get those things. Thanks again.

Keep us up to date. Would be grateful If You could take some step - photos from installation process. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The video is for a PF30 frame. You have a BB30a. I suggest you google the subject.

There is another active thread on this forum describing BB30 creaks and BB30 bearing installation. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144720

It requires the correct tools, careful installation and ideally, locktite and primer.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

odessouky

by odessouky

Ok, so I am now even more confused.

Did I buy the wrong Crankset for my BB30A frame?

I just noticed that the axle has BB30 AND PF30 written on it?

Does that mean it will not fit my Cannondale Synapse?

The SRAM manual that comes with the crank suggests that there are THREE versions of the crank: GXP, PF30, BB30?

What the heck, the PF30 and BB30 1-A look exactly the same in the diagrams, but with different measurements:

PressFit 30 I-A 46mm x 68mm Looks like this is what I bought. Will this fit?!!

BB30 i-A 42mm x 68mm

GXP looks very different:

PressFit GXP 41mm x 86.5mm

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Relax.

The markings on your craknset can seem a little confusing. There is only one type of BB30 crankset, however, a BB30 crankset can fit in two general types of bottom bracket shell.

Type 1 is the BB30/BB30A bottom bracket shell where the cartridge bearings sit directly inside the BB shell.

Type 2 is PF or Press-Fit 30. This is a Bb shell where the bearings are retained in cups which get pressed into a BB shell.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/c ... ets-36660/

odessouky

by odessouky

Valbrona wrote:Relax.

The markings on your craknset can seem a little confusing. There is only one type of BB30 crankset, however, a BB30 crankset can fit in two general types of bottom bracket shell.

Type 1 is the BB30/BB30A bottom bracket shell where the cartridge bearings sit directly inside the BB shell.

Type 2 is PF or Press-Fit 30. This is a Bb shell where the bearings are retained in cups which get pressed into a BB shell.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/c ... ets-36660/

:beerchug:

phew...

yes, i realised that just now, having checked everywhere on SRAM's webpage for different part numbers for the different cranks...

Now I get it...thnx...

:beerchug:

by the way, i was told to use circlips to snap in to a groove on either side of the BB shell

are these the grooves?

And should i finish first the cables etc, BEFORE I PUT IN THE CRANK?

Thanks

SL1

by SL1

Yes they are the grooves.

Yes finish the cables first.

:thumbup:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Yes, two grooves inside the BB shell for the circlips.

Internal cables can be a sod because there's often the need to remove the crankset to thread them through. However, you only need remove the crankset ... not the cartridge bearings.

NB Cables do not run through a frame bare. They need some suitable plastic sheathing, and this can be difficult to source.

If someone does the installation of the crankset for you, ask for a quick lesson on how to remove/inmstal the crankset. You have to become familiar with how it's done.

odessouky

by odessouky

Valbrona wrote:Yes, two grooves inside the BB shell for the circlips.

Internal cables can be a sod because there's often the need to remove the crankset to thread them through. However, you only need remove the crankset ... not the cartridge bearings.

NB Cables do not run through a frame bare. They need some suitable plastic sheathing, and this can be difficult to source.

If someone does the installation of the crankset for you, ask for a quick lesson on how to remove/inmstal the crankset. You have to become familiar with how it's done.

Thanks for that.

No, I plan to do this whole thing myself. I thought when I order the cables they come with their own sheath?

odessouky

by odessouky

Since you've brought up the cables, what the best well priced option that I should buy?

Since I aim to buy a mix of force and Red parts, would the shimano PTFE cable be ok?

Or must I buy SRAM cable?

I'm plan on Force front and rear derailleurs, used Red shifters, if I can find any, or I'll go for force 22 shifters.

I already have the force 22 cassette and chain.

The Red 22 cassette costs a FORTUNE!!!!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've got the feeling that some advice here has confused "wire" and "cable".

If that is an internally cabled frame then there should be guides already in place around the BB shell. Makes no difference if the crank is installed or not.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

odessouky

by odessouky

bikerjulio wrote:I've got the feeling that some advice here has confused "wire" and "cable".

If that is an internally cabled frame then there should be guides already in place around the BB shell. Makes no difference if the crank is installed or not.

yes, its a frame with internal routing.

Yes, I can see TWO plastic guides scotch taped to the outside of the frame around the bottom bracket shell