Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
Hello everyone

I am a longtime member on Bike Radar forums, and I have been directed here to seek help on a technical issue I am trying to sort out.

I am trying to find a solution to fit a SRAM Red Crankset in to a Cannondale Synapse Carbon frame with a BB30A bottom bracket shell.

I have never fitted a BB before, but have done all sorts of other stuff on my bike, except the BB part, so please go easy on me.

I have been told on bikeradar forums that I will need to remove something from the crankset for it to fit?

My frame is a 2015 Synapse carbon.

The crankset is the newer one, BB30 spec, with the red and checkered flag graphics on it, not the plain black one. Its a new crankset.

Can you please walk me thru what I need to buy to get this to work.

I only have a BARE frame, and the Crankset.

I have not bought yet any Bottom Bracket, Bearings, adaptors etc?

Many thanks


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 pm
Posts: 2
You need to remove the preload adjuster on the left hand side of the crank and replace it with a wave washer and 1 to 3 shims to remove any play.
I have done it on my Super Six evo 2016 which also have a BB30A bottom bracket shell. Download the crank manual from Sram website for the installation pictures.


Top
   
Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:23 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
dualathlonpc wrote:
You need to remove the preload adjuster on the left hand side of the crank and replace it with a wave washer and 1 to 3 shims to remove any play.
I have done it on my Super Six evo 2016 which also have a BB30A bottom bracket shell. Download the crank manual from Sram website for the installation pictures.


Many thanks for your reply.

By left hand side, you mean the NON DRIVE side?

And to remove the preload adjuster, you mean I have to physically remove the left side crank arm from the chainrings?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 pm
Posts: 2
Yes, remove the preload adjuster from the non-drive side. And yes, you need to remove the left side crank arm from the chainrings.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:43 pm
Posts: 40
.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
So is this the bottom bracket I will need to buy? And is this the correct process? I think the Cannondale in the video is a SuperSix Evo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WiAGiA591g


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Posts: 739
Location: NZ
Hi

BB30A isn't a great idea IMHO. Up there with integrated seat posts. BB30A isn't compatible with many crank sets, as far as I know only Cannondale Hollowgram and Sram Red (but only the ones with the pre-load adjuster).

Here's a link to an image (can't get it to upload) of the part you need to remove from the non drive side. Hope this works...

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

As mentioned you will need to replace the adjuster with a wave washer and a number of shims, which will depend on how much play there is once fitted. You need to be sure that the wave washer doesn't get fully compressed but at the same time there is no lateral play in the crank set (left to right within the bottom bracket).

Hope that helps.

:)
GJ


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
Gearjunkie wrote:
Hi

BB30A isn't a great idea IMHO. Up there with integrated seat posts. BB30A isn't compatible with many crank sets, as far as I know only Cannondale Hollowgram and Sram Red (but only the ones with the pre-load adjuster).

Here's a link to an image (can't get it to upload) of the part you need to remove from the non drive side. Hope this works...

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

As mentioned you will need to replace the adjuster with a wave washer and a number of shims, which will depend on how much play there is once fitted. You need to be sure that the wave washer doesn't get fully compressed but at the same time there is no lateral play in the crank set (left to right within the bottom bracket).

Hope that helps.

:)
GJ


Thanks for your reply. Can you please check the video? Is this the right installation for my frame? I am confused if I just need to put 2 bearings in to the shell, and then the crankset, or use bearing cups like in the video? Its a cannondale frame, so should be like mine?
Thanks


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
Here is the crank

Image


Image

is this the preload adjuster?

The black plastic ring that sticks out on the NON DRIVE crank arm?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 269
:welcome: Love the fact that you got directed here from another forum. This is the place to be :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
Mep wrote:
:welcome: Love the fact that you got directed here from another forum. This is the place to be :beerchug:



Thanks!!

Can you help with this issue? Its driving me nuts..


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am
Posts: 1474
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
On the axle, pushed up near to the NDS crank arm, is like a plastic collar thingy which is coloured dark grey. It has a little grub screw. This is the preload adjuster. Pull it off.

Fit a wave washer in its place, along with some plastic spacers to take up space. You need some 30mm internal diameter plastic spacers of varying width, available from online retailers.

If you look at the manual that came with your crank, you might find appropriate instructions. ie, instructions for installation with a wave washer instead of the preload adjustment collar.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
Valbrona wrote:
On the axle, pushed up near to the NDS crank arm, is like a plastic collar thingy which is coloured dark grey. It has a little grub screw. This is the preload adjuster. Pull it off.

Fit a wave washer in its place, along with some plastic spacers to take up space. You need some 30mm internal diameter plastic spacers of varying width, available from online retailers.

If you look at the manual that came with your crank, you might find appropriate instructions. ie, instructions for installation with a wave washer instead of the preload adjustment collar.


Excellent. Thanks for the clear answer. Can you please help with a link to the washer and plastic spacers I need to buy? Also, since you seem quite informed, a link to the bearings I need to buy?
Many thanks


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:25 am
Posts: 1474
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
You need a SRAM BB30 bearing assembly. These fit both BB30 and BB30A bottom bracket shells: https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-bb30-b ... t-EV136208

The above part will come with a wave washer and some spacers, however, you should also obtain some additional axle spacers with a 30mm diameter hole in them. One of these would be useful: https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-bb30-2- ... r-00101795 But a couple of 1mm thickness spacers might also be needed.

The instruction manual that comes with the bearing assembly will show you how to install. But you need a bearing press ... so a job for a bike shop. Expect most bike shops to have a selection of 30mm axle spacers.


Top
   
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:54 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Posts: 13
Valbrona wrote:
You need a SRAM BB30 bearing assembly. These fit both BB30 and BB30A bottom bracket shells: https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-bb30-b ... t-EV136208

The above part will come with a wave washer and some spacers, however, you should also obtain some additional axle spacers with a 30mm diameter hole in them. One of these would be useful: https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-bb30-2- ... r-00101795 But a couple of 1mm thickness spacers might also be needed.

The instruction manual that comes with the bearing assembly will show you how to install. But you need a bearing press ... so a job for a bike shop. Expect most bike shops to have a selection of 30mm axle spacers.



Many many thanks. I suppose the video I posted is not the one for me. I'll go to ,Evans today and get those things. Thanks again.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2015 Cannondale Synapse Black Inc

in Road

mdavis501

1

371

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 am

2old4this View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cannondale Caad12 BB30a

in Road

Peeza21

12

2272

Sat May 06, 2017 6:08 am

raffit78 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. BB30A chainset option - Cannondale CAAD12

in Road

gerryc89

8

1834

Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Jowwy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Sram Red BB30 cranks & BB30A

in Road

meanmachine

7

2544

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Valbrona View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 Cannondale Synapse

in Road

Ltyarbro42

14

3501

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 am

ohyeah22 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beanbiken, Jian81, jlok, zico88 and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited