SRAM Red 22 Crankset in a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2015 with BB30A?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

odessouky

by odessouky

Hello everyone

I am a longtime member on Bike Radar forums, and I have been directed here to seek help on a technical issue I am trying to sort out.

I am trying to find a solution to fit a SRAM Red Crankset in to a Cannondale Synapse Carbon frame with a BB30A bottom bracket shell.

I have never fitted a BB before, but have done all sorts of other stuff on my bike, except the BB part, so please go easy on me.

I have been told on bikeradar forums that I will need to remove something from the crankset for it to fit?

My frame is a 2015 Synapse carbon.

The crankset is the newer one, BB30 spec, with the red and checkered flag graphics on it, not the plain black one. Its a new crankset.

Can you please walk me thru what I need to buy to get this to work.

I only have a BARE frame, and the Crankset.

I have not bought yet any Bottom Bracket, Bearings, adaptors etc?

Many thanks

dualathlonpc

by dualathlonpc

You need to remove the preload adjuster on the left hand side of the crank and replace it with a wave washer and 1 to 3 shims to remove any play.
I have done it on my Super Six evo 2016 which also have a BB30A bottom bracket shell. Download the crank manual from Sram website for the installation pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

odessouky

by odessouky

dualathlonpc wrote:You need to remove the preload adjuster on the left hand side of the crank and replace it with a wave washer and 1 to 3 shims to remove any play.
I have done it on my Super Six evo 2016 which also have a BB30A bottom bracket shell. Download the crank manual from Sram website for the installation pictures.

Many thanks for your reply.

By left hand side, you mean the NON DRIVE side?

And to remove the preload adjuster, you mean I have to physically remove the left side crank arm from the chainrings?

dualathlonpc

by dualathlonpc

Yes, remove the preload adjuster from the non-drive side. And yes, you need to remove the left side crank arm from the chainrings.

SL1

by SL1

odessouky

by odessouky

So is this the bottom bracket I will need to buy? And is this the correct process? I think the Cannondale in the video is a SuperSix Evo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WiAGiA591g

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

BB30A isn't a great idea IMHO. Up there with integrated seat posts. BB30A isn't compatible with many crank sets, as far as I know only Cannondale Hollowgram and Sram Red (but only the ones with the pre-load adjuster).

Here's a link to an image (can't get it to upload) of the part you need to remove from the non drive side. Hope this works...

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

As mentioned you will need to replace the adjuster with a wave washer and a number of shims, which will depend on how much play there is once fitted. You need to be sure that the wave washer doesn't get fully compressed but at the same time there is no lateral play in the crank set (left to right within the bottom bracket).

Hope that helps.

:)
GJ

odessouky

by odessouky

Gearjunkie wrote:Hi

BB30A isn't a great idea IMHO. Up there with integrated seat posts. BB30A isn't compatible with many crank sets, as far as I know only Cannondale Hollowgram and Sram Red (but only the ones with the pre-load adjuster).

Here's a link to an image (can't get it to upload) of the part you need to remove from the non drive side. Hope this works...

https://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

As mentioned you will need to replace the adjuster with a wave washer and a number of shims, which will depend on how much play there is once fitted. You need to be sure that the wave washer doesn't get fully compressed but at the same time there is no lateral play in the crank set (left to right within the bottom bracket).

Hope that helps.

:)
GJ

Thanks for your reply. Can you please check the video? Is this the right installation for my frame? I am confused if I just need to put 2 bearings in to the shell, and then the crankset, or use bearing cups like in the video? Its a cannondale frame, so should be like mine?
Thanks

odessouky

by odessouky

Here is the crank

is this the preload adjuster?

The black plastic ring that sticks out on the NON DRIVE crank arm?

Mep

by Mep

:welcome: Love the fact that you got directed here from another forum. This is the place to be :beerchug:

odessouky

by odessouky

Mep wrote::welcome: Love the fact that you got directed here from another forum. This is the place to be :beerchug:

Thanks!!

Can you help with this issue? Its driving me nuts..

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

On the axle, pushed up near to the NDS crank arm, is like a plastic collar thingy which is coloured dark grey. It has a little grub screw. This is the preload adjuster. Pull it off.

Fit a wave washer in its place, along with some plastic spacers to take up space. You need some 30mm internal diameter plastic spacers of varying width, available from online retailers.

If you look at the manual that came with your crank, you might find appropriate instructions. ie, instructions for installation with a wave washer instead of the preload adjustment collar.

odessouky

by odessouky

Valbrona wrote:On the axle, pushed up near to the NDS crank arm, is like a plastic collar thingy which is coloured dark grey. It has a little grub screw. This is the preload adjuster. Pull it off.

Fit a wave washer in its place, along with some plastic spacers to take up space. You need some 30mm internal diameter plastic spacers of varying width, available from online retailers.

If you look at the manual that came with your crank, you might find appropriate instructions. ie, instructions for installation with a wave washer instead of the preload adjustment collar.

Excellent. Thanks for the clear answer. Can you please help with a link to the washer and plastic spacers I need to buy? Also, since you seem quite informed, a link to the bearings I need to buy?
Many thanks

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

You need a SRAM BB30 bearing assembly. These fit both BB30 and BB30A bottom bracket shells: https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-bb30-b ... t-EV136208

The above part will come with a wave washer and some spacers, however, you should also obtain some additional axle spacers with a 30mm diameter hole in them. One of these would be useful: https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-bb30-2- ... r-00101795 But a couple of 1mm thickness spacers might also be needed.

The instruction manual that comes with the bearing assembly will show you how to install. But you need a bearing press ... so a job for a bike shop. Expect most bike shops to have a selection of 30mm axle spacers.

odessouky

by odessouky

Valbrona wrote:You need a SRAM BB30 bearing assembly. These fit both BB30 and BB30A bottom bracket shells: https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-bb30-b ... t-EV136208

The above part will come with a wave washer and some spacers, however, you should also obtain some additional axle spacers with a 30mm diameter hole in them. One of these would be useful: https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-bb30-2- ... r-00101795 But a couple of 1mm thickness spacers might also be needed.

The instruction manual that comes with the bearing assembly will show you how to install. But you need a bearing press ... so a job for a bike shop. Expect most bike shops to have a selection of 30mm axle spacers.

Many many thanks. I suppose the video I posted is not the one for me. I'll go to ,Evans today and get those things. Thanks again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com