Dura Ace FD converter:on or off position for Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

Finally have 99% of the parts for my new Supersix (2015 HM/58cm) and was setting it all up last night when I came to page 10 of the front deraillieur setup.
( http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-FD0002-05-ENG.pdf )

There is a tool mentioned (TL-FD90) to decide whether to use the converter:on or converter:off position.

This determines the FD cable angle.

I bought the DA parts from Merlin in one of their 'brown box' deals - I think it has minimal packaging etc. Anyway, I've looked for the plastic alignment tool to determine whether to have the converter on or off but I can't find it.

Can anyone help me out?
Anyone with a 2015 Supersix Evo HM? What FD converter position did you use? On or off?

It's DA9000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

You don't need the tool. Just eyeball it when you have it installed and take your best guess. If you pick the wrong setting, your FD won't shift smoothly/properly and you'll know to swap it.

island

by island

Thanks - no doubt I could try one way then the other but it must be a standard setting for supersix owners.
Will give it a whirl later tonight...

mattr

by mattr

There won't be a standard setting. Depends on how high the front mech is and what angle the seat tube is at.

So size and build dependant.

SL1

by SL1

Try the ON position first.

The converter design is flawed anyway. I have experimented extensively with it. On my Cannondale Supersix (non evo) i get much better FD trim and shifting by ignoring Shimano's converter tab completely and passing the cable straight over the top of the bolt instead. I get better leverage and the lever requires less force. Make of that what you will.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

island

by island

Thanks - the ON position worked and the FD shifts like a hot knife :) Happy to have moved from 9spd tiagra to 11spd DA - and it's sunny today... BOOM!