Campagnolo now made in China!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fordred

by fordred

ferrarista wrote:
Taiwan is not part of China? :P

Depends on who you talk to.
The political party in Taiwan, (KMT) lost the civil war in China and fled to Taiwan around the time WW2 ended.

So Taiwan have been self ruling for a pretty long time and their cultures are vastly different. Personally, I feel that the culture in Taiwan is closer to Japan than China.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Taiwan is known as the Republic of China
China as The People's Republic of China

Taiwan is not recognised by China as a solitair state.
Only 21 countries of the United Nations does.
How and why you can read here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan

MiddMan

by MiddMan

mpulsiv wrote:
Antoine wrote:On the other end around 40000 chinese are working in Tuscany , making "made in Italia" clothes.
Working conditions are as bad as they are in China, they don't pay taxes and the profit goes to China.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2017/03/30/01003-20170330ARTFIG00255-chasse-aux-clandestins-a-prato-le-plus-grand-chinatown-d-italie.php

https://www.pressreader.com/france/le-figaro/20170331/281535110829533

This is utterly disturbing. Consumerism is the driving force! We buy he crap we don't need for temporarily satisfaction. Sooner than later we pollute the planet. If we all take the minimalist avenue, the demand of goods will drop. On this note, overpopulation is the root cause on cheap labor. China is the prime example.

Automation is next big wave in production factories. What will happen when robots take over manual labor performed by humans?

I'm a firm believer that you can enjoy cycling as a minimalist. This sport has been around for ~ 130 years with simplicity.

Absolutely.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Fresh comments on the bottom of this page www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/where-yo ... made-50553
Last edited by mpulsiv on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Oops, double-post. Deleted it.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

LarryT

by LarryT

Pretty grim. https://cycleitalia.blogspot.com/2024/0 ... uture.html
Since most of the "designer" stuff is made in Asia, does Vicenza now figure "Made-in-Italy" has no value compared to the savings they get from having the stuff made in Asia? I've had a few Tektro brakesets over the years (both with their own name and Campagnolo's on them) and they've been just fine, but I would prefer to buy them from Tektro and pay less than what Campagnolo asks. I guess when people buy Ferrari cars made in China it'll all be over and done with? AHHGGGGGggggg!

velov

by velov

Storm in a teacup. Also, comparing Campy to Ferrari is hilarious.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

fordred wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:32 am
ferrarista wrote:
Taiwan is not part of China? :P
Depends on who you talk to.
The political party in Taiwan, (KMT) lost the civil war in China and fled to Taiwan around the time WW2 ended.

So Taiwan have been self ruling for a pretty long time and their cultures are vastly different. Personally, I feel that the culture in Taiwan is closer to Japan than China.
Politics aside (some of your money going to a democratic state vs...), in the context of high end bicycle parts I consider it very different.

I agree with the comment above that "Made in Taiwan" is a badge that gives me more reassurance about quality and accountability.

usr

by usr

LarryT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:30 am
I guess when people buy Ferrari cars made in China it'll all be over and done with? AHHGGGGGggggg!
I guess if you bought Ferrari, you'd expect stuff like brake fluids to be from purely Italian sources? Hopefully cold pressed? Engine control unit programmed in Latin perhaps?

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Guys please can we keep away from politics and olive groves 🙏🏼 back on topic.
Many thanks
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

ichobi

by ichobi

I've heard that Campagnolo as a company is doing well and was told that there main wealth is not inside their cycling business but in real estates managed through their trust funds of sort? I couldn't verify this nor find any related information at all but have heard this from a few sources inside the industry offline and online. Is this true? Does anyone has more info on this?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Capagnolo SRL (SRL translates pretty much as Ltd. to English, although a Limited company in the UK and Società a Responsabilità Limitata in Italy aren't exactly equivalent) is one thing. The individuals from the Campganolo family are another. Some of the relatives of Valentino Campagnolo appear to be pretty wealthy people, but it is not possible to know in Italy what is the financial position of an individual without their explicit agreement. As usually is the case in Italy, a good part f that wealth is linked to real estate. That is true for most Italian people. Italians are in average richer than Germans, for example, and that is due to the valu of their real estate assets.

So, Valentino Campganolo and part of his family have the kind of wealth and the kind of assets that many private manufacturing company owners have in Northern Italy. That per se tells us nothing about Campagnolo SRL, other than it has been a profitable business for their owners for a long period of time.

SRLs in Italy usually provide third party sanctioned reports on their financial position to their suppliers in order to open credit lines at them. Otehr than that, there's no way of knowing what's going on. all I can say is Campagnolo is a company the company I work for is very happy to collaborate with.

ichobi

by ichobi

Oow thats awesome. Thanks for the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

Assuming it is authentic, which it probably is, I guess we might be able to conclude that Campy decide to cheap out and make more profit, Made in China just happens to be the optimal solution for them to make the most amount of profit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

It's just a water bottle cage, who cares if that is made in China where probably all water bottle cages are made except for King Cages.

There was another company called 50Strong that used to make lightweight plastic cages, I couldn't find their website, but Amazon still carries their product so they must still be in business. I bought two of their cages factory direct about 4 years ago, they work fine for road use but they don't have the grip for someone who might run gravel or offroad use. Surprisingly though I have gone on gravel with it and never ejected a bottle, but the looser fit didn't inspire confidence for me to get rough with them, they are very inexpensive and they are lightweight, and they are made in the USA by former military people.

With some searching someone might find other cages made in America.