Sram ETap Shifters Rattling

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Samklee15

by Samklee15

Hey Guys,

I gave my main road bike a few weeks off while on vacation and just got back to discover it has developed a rattle in both shifters. I took the hoods off both shifters and checked the tension on every visible bolt and screw but it hasn't solved the issue. Its quite infuriating but is only really audible when going over bumpy roads and it's like a high frequency vibration. Has anyone else experienced this and if so a solution?

Thanks !

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Lets get the obvious out of the way first: How sure are you that it's the shifters rattling and not something else?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samklee15

by Samklee15

kkibbler wrote:Lets get the obvious out of the way first: How sure are you that it's the shifters rattling and not something else?

Yes I'm 100% sure. I also forgot to mention that if you squeeze the middle of the shifter on the flat part of the hood the rattle goes away.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Brake housing ferrules? Are the cables and housing old enough to need replacement? Tiny bit of slack "like 1-2mm" in brake cables can cause the cable heads to vibrate in certain circumstances.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

griffith500

by griffith500

I'm experiencing exactly the same. Do you have blips installed? I suspect the blip cable could be causing the rattle...

Samklee15

by Samklee15

griffith500 wrote:I'm experiencing exactly the same. Do you have blips installed? I suspect the blip cable could be causing the rattle...

I do not so that's not the issue, for me at least. I'm starting to think it's the brake ferrules having a few mms of slack in them at the end where they seat in the shifter but have yet to confirm this. Mostly lead to believe this because I'm using the flat top Enve bars with internal routing so I can imagine the cables sliding around and the ferrule becoming loose.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I have a quiet rattle in one lever that matches this description. I'll check my 'blips', but they're non-standard and I don't believe they're the cause.

Comlite31

by Comlite31

I came across the same issue. Stick RPG 2 So I ask the help of bike repair shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com