Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 pm 

Bought the bike used and installed the updated calipers. Front is fine pretty much like any other front brake, but rear is just spongy.... it just doesn't develop power very quickly or easily. Feels like its going through a lot more cable pull with a lot less result. It will eventually lock up the rear if you really bear down, but theres just not much modulation.
There's no issue with cable friction and when you compress calipers with your hand, they feel much like the front ones, so caliper function alone seems OK.
The only thing I can think of is that its related to the full cable run being in an outside sheath, but Specialized seems puzzled by that, and doesn't think it is related.
Swapped out the worn Black Prince Evo pads for a new set of the same, didn't change it. Front has softer gray pads that look and feel similar to Zipp pads, but that seems like its unrelated.
Any of you long-time Vias owners seen this?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:04 pm 

The brake issue has been addressed before. It's not an uncommon complaint (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135563). What year is the frame, and was the recall performed?

Madone 4, SpeedConcept, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:26 pm 

FIJIGabe wrote:
The brake issue has been addressed before. It's not an uncommon complaint (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135563). What year is the frame, and was the recall performed?

OK, I'll be gentle about this, but... my very first sentence said "and installed the updated calipers..."
There was not a recall. They voluntarily gave out improved parts. So, yes, it has the new brakes.
Secondly, probably like most other Vias owners I had read the thread you linked to, oh, eight or nine times and indeed posted in it a few times if memory serves and it is not about the problem I describe and in fact offers no technical info on any of its nine full pages of posts... it's mostly speculation about what the pros' issues with the bike were before brakes were updated... and debate over whether the bike is too complicated and/or too expensive, which are reasonable questions.
No, this is an issue unrelated to the earlier brake problems... probably something more simple. thanks though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 pm 

I was at work and trying to be helpful. Calm down.

Regarding your issue, I noticed something similar with the rear brake on my old Madone. The cable pull felt solid, and so did the caliper, when squeezed by hand. When combined, however, it didn't provide the same type of response as the front (it felt rough, in a way, and not as reactive as the front, more so than other bikes).

One suggestion would be to give the brake a thorough cleaning (obvious, I know, but that worked for me). Also, what cables are you using? I'm assuming that you're using something high quality, but it may be that the cable is bad, or kinked up somewhere. I used to use Yokozuna cables, which, although great for shifting, didn't provide the best feeling on the brakes. When I switched to Jagwire, the braking performance, especially the rear, was much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madone 4, SpeedConcept, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 am 

i would recommend shimano dura ace polymer cables and housing. super smooth. also check if the housing length is optimal.

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am 

I would imagine that the housing is to blame likely a tight bend putting drag on the cable. I would recommend a segmented housing capable of making tight bends like ilink.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 am 

Jagwire Compressionless. Not used it for a Vias, but for full run outers with bends, they are a huge improvement in my experience.

think they are called pro road XL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm 

FIJIGabe wrote:
I was at work and trying to be helpful. Calm down.

Regarding your issue, I noticed something similar with the rear brake on my old Madone. The cable pull felt solid, and so did the caliper, when squeezed by hand. When combined, however, it didn't provide the same type of response as the front (it felt rough, in a way, and not as reactive as the front, more so than other bikes).

One suggestion would be to give the brake a thorough cleaning (obvious, I know, but that worked for me). Also, what cables are you using? I'm assuming that you're using something high quality, but it may be that the cable is bad, or kinked up somewhere. I used to use Yokozuna cables, which, although great for shifting, didn't provide the best feeling on the brakes. When I switched to Jagwire, the braking performance, especially the rear, was much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, thats the feeling Im talking about, more or less. There's no serious friction when I pull the cable back and forth with the levers, the calipers alone feel fine. But... the cables are brand new coated dura-ace and perfectly clean.
But yeah, thats the feel of the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm 

Jay?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm 

I would agree.

Having too much emphasis on aero drag, all internal routing puts enough friction on cables..

S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:51 pm 

topflightpro wrote:
Jay?

Yes?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:20 pm 

thumper88 wrote:
Yes?

Hi. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 pm 

Was great seeing you at spring break Jay! What a time we had :lol: Still got that itch or did the cream sort it out?

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 pm