Speedplay Tune ???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1spd

by 1spd

Hey guys, so I ordered and installed some J&L ti bits to my pedals the other day as pictured.

So the problem I had is that I am unable to clip into the pedals now. You can see where there are gaps between the bow ties and the pedal body. In those areas, the plate appears to be slightly raised maybe 1/2mm but apparently enough to prevent the spring from engaging. At first I thought it might be the screws sticking up but indeed those are recessed. Curious if anyone else experienced this or if anyone has an idea of how to correct it. I'm not out a lot of money but I do appreciate the weight savings the whole tune provided (-56g). As pictured the pedals weighed in at 142g. Popped the stock bow ties back on for now so I can actually ride.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

stevec1975

by stevec1975

the only replacement plates I found to work were the ones I got from Dulight.fr, all others have had this issue (although hearing that the new toronto cycles one also work)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1spd

by 1spd

I appreciate that. I thought about Toronto after ordering these but figured I'd give it a shot since I have had great luck with my J&L ti spindles on my Single speed mtb for the past 3 years now. But after riding to/from work (couldn't fix because I was running late and REALLY wanted to ride there) with the inability to get clipped in completely, I took them off as soon as I got home. Sucks but live and learn I guess. Should have popped back on here before ordering the damn bow ti's. Thanks again!

vneilv

by vneilv

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but which model are your speedplay pedals? The reason I ask is that most of zero pedals (and the light action) models have small grooves and channels in the pedal body and yours look completely smooth in the photo above.

1spd

by 1spd

Mine (pictured) are/were the X2's with a stainless steel spindle/axle. X2's were definitely smooth on top with no grooves. Free floating if you will. Like standing on ice once clipped in with 15 degrees of float.

vneilv

by vneilv

Ahhh right, did you get the specific J&L X series bow ties as there are two different versions on eBay and they seem to only make the coloured versions for the Zero/Light action models.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That will be the problem. The bow ties you have look like z series and not the ones for your pedals

1spd

by 1spd

Well, I think they got me then. I was originally going to just get the standard silver version. I then got an email from them asking if I wanted them in green as they just received some back so I said sure since it was only a few dollars more. Didn't even think they would be sending me ones for the different version pedal. Makes complete sense now tho!

reknop

by reknop

1spd wrote:Hey guys, so I ordered and installed some J&L ti bits to my pedals the other day as pictured.

So the problem I had is that I am unable to clip into the pedals now. You can see where there are gaps between the bow ties and the pedal body. In those areas, the plate appears to be slightly raised maybe 1/2mm but apparently enough to prevent the spring from engaging. At first I thought it might be the screws sticking up but indeed those are recessed. Curious if anyone else experienced this or if anyone has an idea of how to correct it. I'm not out a lot of money but I do appreciate the weight savings the whole tune provided (-56g). As pictured the pedals weighed in at 142g. Popped the stock bow ties back on for now so I can actually ride.

What are roughly the costs of the tuning ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

reknop wrote:What are roughly the costs of the tuning ?

For Speedplay Zero pedals (prices rounded up/down to nearest $5):

Ward Industries Ti spindles US$60
Ti spindle end bolts (Toronto Cycles) US$5
J&L Ti bowties US$20
J&L Ti bowtie screws US$10

So with shipping/duties/taxes you’re looking at a little over US$100, less than the cost difference between Zero CrMo and Zero Ti. I saved about 40 g per pedal. YMMV.
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Eager to see how this story ends. Price seems right, but functionality seems compromised.

Years ago, I used aftermarket aluminum bow-ties on my Zeros. They were expensive and I eventually got tired of replacing them. I could get back into the groove again assuming I could reliably clip in and out when needed!

RyanH

by RyanH

The Toronto ti ones have held up well. I've put probably 8k miles on mine so far.

1spd

by 1spd

Well the functionality sucked for me but that was simply due to getting the wrong ones. However, my JL ti spindles have been going strong for almost 3 years now on my Crank Bro's egg beaters on my Single Speed MTB. I have even hopped on my road bike right after riding the mtb to see if I could feel a difference (such as a bent spindle) and they are still holding up. I weigh approximately 180 lbs and they are still going strong. I'm thinking the road version should hold up just fine considering the stress the mtb ones have been put through.

At this point, I'll look into getting some new bow ties in the next month as I order a few other little nick knacks for the project.

What I really need is to buy another scale so I can actually weigh the damn bike as a whole!!! At this point, I'm just shooting for 15 lbs which i know is not WW status but you have to start somewhere!

tarmackev

by tarmackev

If it's any use I have the J&L silver Ti bow ties on my Zeros and they're perfect, no difference in performance from the original bow ties.
I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

i swapped out 4 pedals that were originally stainless or chromoly over to Ti using the J&L spindles and the bowties. i have no issues whatsoever with the exception of some wear of the anodized areas where you clip in.

the parts work great, lighter than the Speedplay Titanium pedals. i also swapped out the bolts to titanium as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com