Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:15 pm
Posts: 6
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a canyon ultimate, but I can't decide between the AL SLX 9.0 and the CF SL 9.0.
https://www.canyon.com/en-it/road/ultim ... x-9-0.html
https://www.canyon.com/en-it/road/ultim ... l-9-0.html

the specs are identical between the two, the main difference seems to be the aluminum vs carbon frame (and the price is quite close between the two).
do you guys have any feedback on the two bikes? what will be the main difference in term of feel, performance and durability between the two?

thanks!


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 am
Posts: 235
nevikte wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a canyon ultimate, but I can't decide between the AL SLX 9.0 and the CF SL 9.0.
https://www.canyon.com/en-it/road/ultim ... x-9-0.html
https://www.canyon.com/en-it/road/ultim ... l-9-0.html

the specs are identical between the two, the main difference seems to be the aluminum vs carbon frame (and the price is quite close between the two).
do you guys have any feedback on the two bikes? what will be the main difference in term of feel, performance and durability between the two?

thanks!


A friend of mine is running the CF SL 9.0 from 2014 with a lot of joy, and personally I would go for this model (despite that the alu bike is probably as good).
I have ridden an aluminum road-bike frame about 14 years ago, so no recent experience with riding such a race bike.

_________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.remo-knops.com/cycling/


Top
   
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:14 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 27
I recommend a carbon frame. This is because the carbon frame is better in running feeling and durability.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm
Posts: 141
Is CF worth $300? How much is it worth to you not to wonder? Tour Inc mag says they're about the same aside from weight in terms of stiffness and spring rate/ride comfort.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm
Posts: 968
Screw that, get the Ultimate EVO frameset and get some eTap deal somewhere :P


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm
Posts: 88
Location: Geneva, IL, USA
From what I've read, CF does not degrade over time whereas AL does.

_________________
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Posts: 1914
Some good replies from the marketing department here....

_________________
Using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm
Posts: 24
I have an older Ultimate Al that gets used as a winter/wet bike, & a new Ultimate CF SLX, aside from weight there's very little difference in performance. The carbon bike seems to absorb some road buzz, but that could be as a result of different wheels & tyres.
I love the way both ride, the only advantage I see with the carbon bike is going uphill.
I doubt I'll live long enough to see any deterioration of either frame material through fatigue, but in my experience, an aluminium frame is more robust in the event of a crash, so consider what sort of riding you intend doing.

Hope this helps :-)


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:15 am
Posts: 15
Judging from your question in general and your "needs" I would also recommend the ROSE Xeon RS-3000. Contrary to the Canyon you can specify all the components, especially the wheelset and chain rings, etc. The Xeon RS-3000 looks really nice in the black finish and is very light. A bit less than 7kg, depending on the size. Canyon is just getting hyped a bit too much in my opinion. And as an allround weapon an alloy wheelset is no bad choice. After a crash you'll see what you've done/has been done too you (your frame) and you don't need to worry whether the frame is broken somewhere invisible beneath the finish.

Cheers
Tom

P.S.: The Rose carbon frame which can be compared to the Xeon RS-3000 is just 100g lighter.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 am
Posts: 5
Tomdaws wrote:
I have an older Ultimate Al that gets used as a winter/wet bike, & a new Ultimate CF SLX, aside from weight there's very little difference in performance. The carbon bike seems to absorb some road buzz, but that could be as a result of different wheels & tyres.
I love the way both ride, the only advantage I see with the carbon bike is going uphill.
I doubt I'll live long enough to see any deterioration of either frame material through fatigue, but in my experience, an aluminium frame is more robust in the event of a crash, so consider what sort of riding you intend doing.

Hope this helps :-)


Do you know about how much the weight difference is?


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm
Posts: 24
sodac wrote:
Tomdaws wrote:
I have an older Ultimate Al that gets used as a winter/wet bike, & a new Ultimate CF SLX, aside from weight there's very little difference in performance. The carbon bike seems to absorb some road buzz, but that could be as a result of different wheels & tyres.
I love the way both ride, the only advantage I see with the carbon bike is going uphill.
I doubt I'll live long enough to see any deterioration of either frame material through fatigue, but in my experience, an aluminium frame is more robust in the event of a crash, so consider what sort of riding you intend doing.

Hope this helps :-)


Do you know about how much the weight difference is?


According to Canyon my Ultimate Al 9.0 should weigh about 7.6kg as standard. The Ultimate CF-SLX should be 6.3kg, but I've put heavier wheels on & Quarq PM but maybe lost a few grams by fitting a Fizik R1 saddle.

I know this is WW but I've found there's more to a bike than just its weight, for example, I prefer my Zipp 303s to the Mavic SLR wheels that came with the CF-SLX despite the Zipps being 3-400g heavier. They're both light enough for me, & suit the type of riding I do.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:15 am
Posts: 15
7,6kg is quite something. 61cm frame?

The paint finish weights about additional 150g compared to the anodized frame.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm
Posts: 24
Tomace wrote:
7,6kg is quite something. 61cm frame?

The paint finish weights about additional 150g compared to the anodized frame.


No medium frame so 56cm. The Al 9.0 is five years old tho.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 166
My previous bike and current bike are exactly these two. Had my CF now around two months and done one training camp on medium mountain roads with it, no racing yet but coming. I'm 6'4" and 170 with decent sprinting ability. IMHO difference between these bikes is much bigger than stated. Overall stiffness is clearly higher on CF, bb area is very very stiff. Front end is very stiff too. I have 40cm bars on AL and 42cm on CF and still it's very stiff front end when I try to bash all out from slow speed power sprint workouts. But. It's very comfortable bike to ride big hours day after day, soaks road buzz nicely, of course tyre pressure and 23/25 choise makes big difference. On climbing it feels so direct in and out of saddle, no energy wasted not a single bit. AL is very good bike for fast downhill riding, but CF is still much better, like on rails and comes better when speed climbs up, turns in so nicely.

Overall I was surprised that difference in everything overall was this big. But I absolutely love it! :thumbup:


Top
   
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 152
Location: Melbourne, Australia
My 2c worth, for anyone this may help in future.

I own the 2017 Ultimate AL SLX frameset which I've built it up with Campy Chorus, Ritchey 4-Axis alloy stem, Specialized Hover alloy bars, ENVE seatpost, San Marco Aspide Carbon FX saddle and Campy Zonda C17's.

I'll be posting pics/specs and review in the gallery forum, but to add to this conversation, I wanted to say that this frame is absolutely phenomenal. I don't understand why it isn't spoken about in the same conversation as the Cannondale CAAD or Specialized's Allez. Stiff as guts, exceptionally comfortable (and I run 23mm tyres!) and very light - I don't have weight details on hand now but will post these in the gallery thread.

I use it on the indoor trainer, in the wet, and generally to crunch miles (also plan to use it when travelling overseas). One will not be disappointed with this frame for this use :thumbup:

NB: My climbing / sportive / sunny weekend bike is the 2017 Ultimate CF SLX frameset with exactly the same groupset/finishing kit but with Bora Ultra 35 tubulars. It's definitely better ;-)

_________________
It's ALL about the bike.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Canyon Ultimate CF Evo

in Road

bruno2000

8

1594

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 pm

bruno2000 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Canyon Ultimate EVO

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

lovemyway

36

8622

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm

inchul View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Canyon Ultimate AL slx Photos?

in Road

nevikte

11

2714

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am

arnoldagdagan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX - Frameset weight

in Road

nonamed

10

1971

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 am

robertbb View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Canyon Ultimate Tyre Clearance

in Road

mogwaiboi

0

173

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 am

mogwaiboi View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BdaGhisallo, Bing [Bot], cycleboyco, deano87, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], mpulsiv, UTmtnbiker and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited