New SRM not reporting L/R power balance to Garmin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warx

by warx

I thought this metric was implemented a while ago with SRM. My meter is supposedly less than a year old. I presumed it reported to ANT+ and therefore recorded by my Garmin 520.

I've just started checking my balance lately from my other meter - a P2M Type-S. Trying to check for trends but realized my race bike (Venge) had never recorded this balance. Bummer!

Is there a setting in the Garmin (I looked and can't find it), a meter firmware update? (my SRM is new as of November). Do I need to "upgrade" to a $900 bike computer? :-|

Thanks for any insights!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clm2206

by clm2206

AFAIK, SRM as of today has no way to distinguish between left-right power, as P2max does.

Enviado desde mi SM-E700M mediante Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

warx wrote:I thought this metric was implemented a while ago with SRM. My meter is supposedly less than a year old. I presumed it reported to ANT+ and therefore recorded by my Garmin 520.

I've just started checking my balance lately from my other meter - a P2M Type-S. Trying to check for trends but realized my race bike (Venge) had never recorded this balance. Bummer!

Is there a setting in the Garmin (I looked and can't find it), a meter firmware update? (my SRM is new as of November). Do I need to "upgrade" to a $900 bike computer? :-|

Thanks for any insights!!

Not an option with an SRM.

warx

by warx

Thanks! :-| My searches had shown posts from 2013 saying "coming soon" and more lately "newer SRMs do it". Oh well.

Ironically, there's nothing actionable to do about an imbalance at my [Masters] level so I was really only curious since I am contemplating a Stages for a track bike I am building. At this point I see no disadvantage given it's simplicity of fit and price and their high-speed option (and new high-speed head unit coming soon).

BTW I am left-handed/legged and show a 52-48 left bias at low cadence but swap to a right bias at higher cadence! So by the laws of averages (ahem) I think I don't need to worry about it and buy some nicer wheels, track pursuit bars etc. with the $1900 I'll be saving.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Don't worry. SRM will have that available in 5 years.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Srm does not have LR metrics.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

PinaF8 wrote:Srm does not have LR metrics.

It would require a completely new design for them to accomplish that and after pioneering the technology and sticking with their design for two and a half decades, I can't see them changing it any time soon.