What does a DT RWS Thru-Bolt do?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/ ... bolt-front

I currently run a Mavic Aksium disc brake front wheel. I believe this is 15mm thru-axle, but I use it with Mavic adapters to convert to regular quick release.

The DT Thru-Bolt is stated as 9mm, so I am guessing that it will not work with my hub, perhaps only with DT hubs.

Any other similar solutions out there?

Thanks.

jeffy

by jeffy

DT make endcaps for their hubs to switch to thrubolt 9mm (front) and 10mm (rear).

they are essentially an "axle" style skewer for QR dropouts

* i believe other MTB hubs (Hope?) also can provide 9x100 and 10x135 endcaps

they allegedly stiff things up, particularly the front end. I like them.

by Weenie

rcb78

by rcb78

There are other hubs that offer endcaps for these too. My I9s (Torch Road Disc) have this option as well as some Bitex hubs I have. I've got a set of those DT skewers, as well as a set from Novatec that are a more traditional style but still 9mm and 10mm thru bolt. The Novatecs have a steel shaft and are STIFF if that's what you're looking for. I use them on my offroad only disc wheelset. The RWS set it on the road use wheels.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Thanks folks.

I have a pair of end caps coming to convert my Mavic front hub from 15mm TA to 9mm TA.

Just seems a little disconcerting that the front dropouts should be resting on what is in effect a 9mm aluminium skewer. The existing system with a regular 5mm steel QR skewer would seem safer, as the dropouts are resting on the machined protrusions of the end caps.