Ti bolts...what places to use them am I missing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

froze

by froze

I guess my question is why are you spending money on Ti bolts while using 105 components? You could have saved that money and bought an Ultegra rear derailleur, the new derailleur would have saved you more weight not to mention provided a bit smoother shift and a bit quicker. TI bolts and nuts are the last place you go to to shave weight.

Here's why, stainless steel cage bolts weigh .044 grams more per pair then TI cage bolts, but the TI bolts cost about $4.25 more for the pair. So let's say you had replaced 20 bolts of various sizes, you might save at the most 2 grams, but you had to spend at least $50, whereas you could have bought the Ultegra rear derailleur for $50 at Wiggle's and would have saved you 37 grams. Either way all the ti bolts and nuts found on a bike would come nowhere near 37 grams in savings.

If you're dead set on using nothing but lighter bolts you would save the same weight using aluminum bolts and pay way less. But regardless if TI or aluminum you cannot use these in places where a specific torque value is needed. Ti and aluminum have a way of either stretching or breaking or both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Standard 6 ti m5 stem bolts, compared to steel ones, save you around 8g. So per bolt in this size you make about 1.3g of weight savings.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

froze wrote:I guess my question is why are you spending money on Ti bolts while using 105 components? You could have saved that money and bought an Ultegra rear derailleur, the new derailleur would have saved you more weight not to mention provided a bit smoother shift and a bit quicker. TI bolts and nuts are the last place you go to to shave weight.

Here's why, stainless steel cage bolts weigh .044 grams more per pair then TI cage bolts, but the TI bolts cost about $4.25 more for the pair. So let's say you had replaced 20 bolts of various sizes, you might save at the most 2 grams, but you had to spend at least $50, whereas you could have bought the Ultegra rear derailleur for $50 at Wiggle's and would have saved you 37 grams. Either way all the ti bolts and nuts found on a bike would come nowhere near 37 grams in savings.

If you're dead set on using nothing but lighter bolts you would save the same weight using aluminum bolts and pay way less. But regardless if TI or aluminum you cannot use these in places where a specific torque value is needed. Ti and aluminum have a way of either stretching or breaking or both.

I don't know if English is your first language but going in for the jugular with the 'know-it-all full-on-attack' prose style doesn't usually win friends. :? Worse, you are totally wrong in many of your assumptions.

Fact is I already changed the rear dérailleur to a long cage Ultrega from a short cage 105 and saved 20g. Then I blew that weight saving to add 30g to have a 105 11-32 cassette as this is intended as an Everesting bike so need to be able to spin up steep hills when exhausted. Although I clawed back 3g using a SRAM lock ring instead of the heavy Shimano one.

You seem to be quite clear on the prices of ti bolts, although you have not the slightest clue where I live or what I pay might for them. Also different bolt sizes weigh totally different amounts, so the savings are not simplistic 2 grams over the whole bike, judging from the water bottle bolts and then guessing that across the bike.

I strongly suggest in the nicest possible way that you try to think of a less know-it-all manner of writing and also drop the idea that my circumstances are even in any way similar to yours. Also perhaps weigh some bolts on a digital scale.

You seem clear that you've decided that saving weight on ti and alloy bolts is a waste of money and have come in to preach your 'wisdom', but the truth is you are actually wrong. :idea:
Last edited by Lewn777 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

1415chris wrote:Standard 6 ti m5 stem bolts, compared to steel ones, save you around 8g. So per bolt in this size you make about 1.3g of weight savings.

Exactly, which by changing bolts from steel to ti or alloy where fit can really add up.

froze

by froze

Lewn777 wrote:
froze wrote:I guess my question is why are you spending money on Ti bolts while using 105 components? You could have saved that money and bought an Ultegra rear derailleur, the new derailleur would have saved you more weight not to mention provided a bit smoother shift and a bit quicker. TI bolts and nuts are the last place you go to to shave weight.

I don't know if English is your first language but going in for the jugular with the 'know-it-all full-on-attack' prose style doesn't usually win friends. :? Worse, you are totally wrong in many of your assumptions.

Fact is I already changed the rear dérailleur to a long cage Ultrega from a short cage 105 and saved 20g. Then I blew that weight saving to add 30g to have a 105 11-32 cassette as this is intended as an Everesting bike so need to be able to spin up steep hills when exhausted. Although I clawed back 3g using a SRAM lock ring instead of the heavy Shimano one.

You seem to be quite clear on the prices of ti bolts, although you have not the slightest clue where I live or what I pay might for them. Also different bolt sizes weigh totally different amounts, so the savings are not simplistic 2 grams over the whole bike, judging from the water bottle bolts and then guessing that across the bike.

I strongly suggest in the nicest possible way that you try to think of a less know-it-all manner of writing and also drop the idea that my circumstances are even in any way similar to yours. Also perhaps weigh some bolts on a digital scale.

You seem clear that you've decided that saving weight on ti and alloy bolts is a waste of money and have come in to preach your 'wisdom', but the truth is you are actually wrong. :idea:

I was never nasty in the least bit, but you sure were, so thanks for playing.