New Shimano eTube 3.2.1 enables synchro shifting for 9070?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

Sorry if I missed the earlier post about this...

Just downloaded the eTube 3.2.1. It has the option for enabling snchro shifting for 9070, though complains about the lack of the new internal battery (I still have the old ones instead of BT-DN110)

I've ordered the new battery but can't get it until Monday. Has anybody updated the battery? Does synchro shifting really work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Only purpose of this feature is to help those who don't know when to shift.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

2old4this wrote:Sorry if I missed the earlier post about this...

Just downloaded the eTube 3.2.1. It has the option for enabling snchro shifting for 9070, though complains about the lack of the new internal battery (I still have the old ones instead of BT-DN110)

I've ordered the new battery but can't get it until Monday. Has anybody updated the battery? Does synchro shifting really work?

Yes, it will work with 9070 once you get the new battery and update the firmware on your DI2 components.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

There's some info in this thread

Setting up Di2 Synchro shifting?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have the new battery. On the DI2 9070 system, I replaced the old battery (SM-BTR2) with the new one (BT-DN110.) After updating the firmware for derailleurs and the new battery, I took the bike for a quick ride. Here are the first impressions
1- Synchro shift works with a new battery only. Nothing else need to be changed in the 9070 system.
2- You have to enable it once. Then you can switch amongst manual, semi-synchro, synchro modes. No need to plug it to your computer (or use the iPad app.)
3- I definitely do not like the synchro mode.
It is not about when or how many gears it shifts (you can adjust those). For ages, I've decided when to shift the front. This does it by itself and it drives me nuts. Maybe I am an old guy, who doesn't like the change. Nonetheless, synchro mode genuinely gets in my way. I honestly don't see myself using it.
4- I do like the semi-synchro shifting.
I almost always shift both front and back at the same time. Putting a climber switch to shift the front and back with a click of a button, without taking your hands off the tops over and over again, will be nice.
Is it eath-shuttering experience? No. IMO, it is just a nice to have option.

Then again, I may change my mind about these modes and start liking one or another. I'd rather have them than not having them at all.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I agree that the 'semi' mode is more useful than the 'full', but even semi can put you in a gear you don't want to be in. Would be better if it 'adjusted' for just 1 gear on the cassette instead of two, which you can of course specify in the Etubes app. I filmed some examples of Synchro in action on the road which helps show the pros and cons (link below).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I've set up mine semi so that it's only active when I change from big ring to small and even then it's only 1 gear. Seemed to be good and nowadays don't think of it anymore
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270