Cervelo S5 replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Expecting more vertical compliance from frame X to frame Y is like splitting hair. You focus on the wrong pivot (e.g. frame) to increase comfort. Harsh aluminum frame will be more comfortable on wider tires. Instead, look for a frame that will accept at least 28mm tires and enjoy the ride below 80 psi. The industry is heading full speed in this direction to increase tire clearance.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

brycerider

by brycerider

Definitely looking for a frame that takes 25mm and greater tires. Want something thats solid through the front end when giving it some stick out of the saddle and good power transfer without transmitting all the road buzz up my back. I fit a 56 Tarmac very well and like how that bike handles. Maybe the new R5 is worth a look?
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Could be 6 months or more to actually get your hands on a new R5. Think it'll be officially released at the Giro.

Would be well worth the wait I bet.

brycerider

by brycerider

Will check it out
N+1 It Never Stops

Delorre

by Delorre

mpulsiv wrote:Expecting more vertical compliance from frame X to frame Y is like splitting hair. You focus on the wrong pivot (e.g. frame) to increase comfort. Harsh aluminum frame will be more comfortable on wider tires. Instead, look for a frame that will accept at least 28mm tires and enjoy the ride below 80 psi. The industry is heading full speed in this direction to increase tire clearance.

I can assure you that a Scott Addict and a Canyon CF SLX are not in the same league regarding confort, both with the same wheels, same tyres/ pressure and both with a 27,2 superlogic seatpost. The Canyon is way more compliant, with a lot better filtering of road buzz :shock: But overall, he is also less stiff and responsive. But I'm with you that tyres can make a huge difference, but only if you compare a 23 with a 28mm tyre. Going from 23mm to 25mm (or in reality from 25 to somethig like 27) is more subtile, but noticeble.

brycerider

by brycerider

Thanks for the feedback on the Foil vs the Canyon. I run 25mm on the Tarmac and 23mn on the S5 (can't take bigger). Can feel the difference.
N+1 It Never Stops

1415chris

by 1415chris

Get yourself new S5 :), 25mm and still plenty of clearance. I also checked tubs Vittoria Pave 27, it looked ok as well.

cpark

by cpark

I stayed away from pre-2015 S5 for the precise reasons you just mentioned.
I test rode it awhile back and do remember the whippy front end and the tight clearance.
The one other thing I disliked was the tall stack height.

The current generation S5 (2015 and on) had addressed all of my concerns, so I bought one.
It turned into one of my favorite bikes.
I run a set of Enve 4.5 on them with 25mm 4000S tires and it's actually quite comfortable for an aero bike.
I run a SES handlebar on them, and it gets up a high speed in a hurry and seems easier to hold it.

I test rode a R5 while back and it felt stiff and more lively than 55, but the ridiculous tall stack height was the deal breaker for me.
It does look like the new R5 is very similar to S5 in stack height with the 1/2 degree more laid back HT angle and longer chainstay which will make the bike more stable and comfy.
I also liooks like it will take the 28mm tires, so I maybe getting getting one in the near future.

I like the new BMC Teammachine SLR01 which also take 28mm tires but I don't like the 3year warranty on them.

I like the fact that Cervelo comes with the lifetime warranty on their frames now which provides bit of peace of mind.

brycerider

by brycerider

Thanks for the feedback. I meant to post up the outcome....I bought a 2016 S5 at a firesale price (half of RRP) - the Di2 HED 6 version. I love it. So much smoother to ride and way more planted through the corners. Looking for a lighter wheelset for the uphill days at the moment but very happy with it.
N+1 It Never Stops

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote=brycerider post_id=1325838 time=1498118122 user_id=12552]
Thanks for the feedback. I meant to post up the outcome....I bought a 2016 S5 at a firesale price (half of RRP) - the Di2 HED 6 version. I love it. So much smoother to ride and way more planted through the corners. Looking for a lighter wheelset for the uphill days at the moment but very happy with it.
[/quote]

Old thread but I am wondering about chainstay rub on the 2016 ?? I am contemplating puchasing one so any input is GREATLY appreciated !!