EE Brake Set up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

piercebrew

by piercebrew

I just got a set of EE brakes for my 2017 Supersix HiMod, and when the shop put them on there is a lot of spongey feel in the brakes, I'm using SRAM Red levers. Any ideas, they had them set up with standard Shimano brake line. They were going to use compression free brake lines. Any suggestions would be great I really want to get this bike up and riding.
Thanks

sungod

by sungod

i've got them with sram levers (etap, but it's same brake pull/feel as red), certainly not spongey

did they fit the correct spacers for the rim width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Jagwire elite link housing is my go to with sram levers and EE brakes. Takes all the flex out of the system

piercebrew

by piercebrew

I'm not sure, is there any sort of trick or anything not obvious?
sungod wrote:i've got them with sram levers (etap, but it's same brake pull/feel as red), certainly not spongey

piercebrew

by piercebrew

I was thinking of going for those, but how robust are they? This is going to be my fair weather bike, but I want it to be set and forget, and no fuss.
sugarkane wrote:Jagwire elite link housing is my go to with sram levers and EE brakes. Takes all the flex out of the system

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

sugarkane wrote:Jagwire elite link housing is my go to with sram levers and EE brakes. Takes all the flex out of the system

I'm a fan of Yokozuna's Reaction brake and shift cabling. They're not lightweight, but they work undeniably well. They were "set and forget" on my bikes. Good luck!

corky

by corky

Yokozuna doesn't really play nice with EEs in my opinion.

EES need the outer cable to flex as they pull a lot of cable when the brakes are applied. YOkozuna is as stiff as a very stiff thing and the return spring of the EE can't cope. My experience is with the original MK1 version but I see no changes in the return spring in subsequent versions. I have had great experience with plain oil' Campagnolo housing. NB Cable flexibility is not the same as cable compression.

I think the EEs are inherently more 'spongy' than say Campagnolo calipers but this is not really a problem, they work amazingly well and this sponginess is a trade off with modulation, you just have to adjust to a different feel.

sungod

by sungod

piercebrew wrote:I'm not sure, is there any sort of trick or anything not obvious?
sungod wrote:i've got them with sram levers (etap, but it's same brake pull/feel as red), certainly not spongey

i installed mine exactly as in the instructions, checked rim width and for my wheels that meant both spacers needed

i'm using nokon with powercordz at the rear and front is steel cable (wanted to try powercordz on the rear first to see how the ee cable clamp/powercordz compatibility are)

for installation, i removed the old sram red brakes, ran new cables through the existing outers, also added a couple of extra nokon links front/rear to make the outer a bit longer - the outer was previously at exact minimum length for correct operation with the red brakes

when clamping cables, i set adjusters to minimum tension, held calipers closed and put tension on the cable, once clamped pulled levers hard to snug down the nokon beads again, this left about the right rim-pad clearance

braking modulation/power are certainly better than the old sram red calipers

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

+1 for jagwire elite cable housing. I run jagwire, sram etap levers and ee brakes and it works very well.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Without seeing any pictures of your setup or seeing them first hand its hard to trouble shoot your problem, but to me, it sounds as if your housing might be too short for the ee's. I'm assuming that you had standard SRAM red brakes previously, did you do new cables? or did the shop simply put the ee's on, using your existing set up?

If you look at the set up instructions for the ee's, it states that you typically need 1.5-2cm more housing than you'd use for traditional brakes. When I swapped mine on, at first I just used the cables as they'd previously been set up for my DA9000 brakes. The front set up fine, because I guess I had a little bit of extra cable there to begin with, but the rear was a much tighter fit and when I swapped the ee's on, there wasn't enough housing to work properly and I got a spongy feel. I knew I was gonna be swapping the cables soon anyway, so I wasn't super concerned. I did end up using Jagwire elite link as well.

kode54

by kode54

plus, i think there's a specified amount of cable under the adjuster to operate at the optimum level.

at one point, i took a pic of my set up and sent it to Craig (original owner of EE) and the first thing he said was that i didn't have enough play there.
so i pulled out a washer and made a few adjustments and it worked well as Craig promised.
who am i to argue.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I really like the jagwire, you can run the plastic liner full length which helps keep you system slick and the wear point is the liner which can be swapped out and is cheap

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hey Sugarkane,

Did you just run standard Campagnolo cables with this setup?

kytyree

by kytyree

I've run campy brake cables with mine for several years, no issues.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Thanks kytyree!

I still find it odd that Jagwire don't do a Campagnolo specific version?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com