power2max power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Who will win Paris-Roubaix 2017?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:56 am

Peter Sagan
48%
Tom Boonen
15%
Matt Hayman
6%
Sep Vanmarcke
No votes
Greg Van Avermat
9%
Michal Kwiatkowski
6%
John Degenkolb
12%
Ian Stannard
No votes
Niki Terpstra
3%
Edvald Boasson Hagen
No votes

Total votes: 33

ichobi

by ichobi

After 2 years of P2M (on rotor 3d+ crank) I can say that it's the only equipment in my bike that never has a single issue. It just works flawlessly and reliably. The other things I need to fiddle with in one way or another. I don't even feel i need to upgrade my PM for years to come.

Lynet

by Lynet

I've had three different Stages units (Gen 2 on Hollowgram arms) all returned (issues with power consistency when doing threshold and above, dropouts, temporary battery issues etc.). Meanwhile my Power2Max Type S-spider has just performed. No issues what so ever. Just got a NG-spider for my race bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

TheDarkInstall wrote:The very notion that a power meter can go wrong simply does not exist if you go for a Power2Max.

So very True.

phunky

by phunky

Just got my first P2Max installed and hit a minor cosmetic issue (of my making). The P2Max customer service was beyond amazing. Another happy customer.

benp

by benp

I've now got 4 P2M's. One pre-classic-classics, two type S's and I've just taken ownership of an NG.
Not many hours on the NG, but the other three have been faultless, despite being used in foul weather (which is about 5 months a year).
I've no experience with any other power meter (apart from the horrifically bad Polar unit) so cannot comment on any pro's or cons, but for me the P2M's are great units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffy

by jeffy

i really hope the NG lives up to their legacy ...

ms6073

by ms6073

Lynet wrote:I've had three different Stages units (Gen 2 on Hollowgram arms) all returned (issues with power consistency when doing threshold and above, dropouts, temporary battery issues etc.).

Sort of a topic drift, but there are numerous threads on the Tacx user forums with regard to an issues with a Tacx Neo Smart trainer as they cannot understand why their $1500 Tacx trainer always outputs significantly lower watts when compared to the output of their Stages powermeter. 8)
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

PinaF8

by PinaF8

ms6073 wrote:
Lynet wrote:I've had three different Stages units (Gen 2 on Hollowgram arms) all returned (issues with power consistency when doing threshold and above, dropouts, temporary battery issues etc.).

Sort of a topic drift, but there are numerous threads on the Tacx user forums with regard to an issues with a Tacx Neo Smart trainer as they cannot understand why their $1500 Tacx trainer always outputs significantly lower watts when compared to the output of their Stages powermeter. 8)

Im in that group and I would trust the neo power output before I trust stages. Anyways, I'm a pioneer user.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The tacx will have lower power output as there are drivetrain losses to account which the stages is upstream of. The other issue of dropouts is almost always related to a broken battery door on the stages, which i admit is a poor design, especially on the gen 1s, but can be temporarily fixed with tape, and replacement doors are free.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrobart

by jrobart

PinaF8 wrote:
ms6073 wrote:

Im in that group and I would trust the neo power output before I trust stages. Anyways, I'm a pioneer user.

PinaF8, how do you like the Pioneer? I just bought the dual sided Pioneer, but haven't installed it yet. I have two SRMs (one Specialized SWorks and one Campy SR) on other bikes that have been rock solid, but the price difference and the dual side measurement was too good to pass up. Having said that, I'm starting to have second thoughts, so please tell me that I made the right decision with the Pioneer!!!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

Rick

by Rick

I really, really, REALLY wanted to like my Stages.
I worked with their support team for a full month; tried everything they asked; even upgraded my garmin edge 500 to an edge 520.
I even returned the first one and got a second unit. ....behaved exactly the same.

But, in the end, I could still never make it through a 2 min or longer interval without a second or so of dropout. And that really screws with your average power readings.

If you can make one work for you, I envy you. But are you really looking critically at the data ?

PinaF8

by PinaF8

jrobart wrote:
PinaF8 wrote:
ms6073 wrote:

PinaF8, how do you like the Pioneer? I just bought the dual sided Pioneer, but haven't installed it yet. I have two SRMs (one Specialized SWorks and one Campy SR) on other bikes that have been rock solid, but the price difference and the dual side measurement was too good to pass up. Having said that, I'm starting to have second thoughts, so please tell me that I made the right decision with the Pioneer!!!

I hope you purchased the pioneer head unit too? I tried to make it work with garmin 520 and 1000 but the drop outs drove me nuts. I've been using it for a while now and I am very satisfied with the consistency.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

jrobart

by jrobart

No, I didn't buy the head unit as i'm using a Garmin 1000. So can I assume that with the Pioneer head unit that it is working the way you hoped it would?
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

PinaF8

by PinaF8

jrobart wrote:No, I didn't buy the head unit as i'm using a Garmin 1000. So can I assume that with the Pioneer head unit that it is working the way you hoped it would?

You will not get the full data readings of the system. Garmin edge 520 and 1000 read slower and would cause dropouts during sprints and high cadence. Worse of all dropouts during my sessions in TrainerRoad, drove me *f##k* insane.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrobart

by jrobart

Thanks for the heads up. One last question, are you happy with the Pioneer head unit? do you have the 500 or the 900?

Not being able to pair with my phone and having to run a separate cadence sensor (issue with the meter itself not the head unit) seems a bit dated.