Carbon-Ti hub review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We finally got around to posting our review of the carbon-ti hubs, in summary, we're really impressed with them. http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2017/03/ ... ub-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Thanks, Jason.
Would you recommend these for heavier riders.
I assume that with a deeper rim the 20/24 spoke count wold be fine up to a certain weight class (say 90kg?)

Mep

by Mep

That's quite the glowing review. How would you compare these to say the Extralites?

KC

by KC

I have been considering these as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Stolichnaya wrote:Thanks, Jason.
I assume that with a deeper rim the 20/24 spoke count wold be fine up to a certain weight class (say 90kg?)

That's been the one complaint we have is that there is no 24/28 version. We've worked with Carbon-Ti to get a 24/28 version done, but right now all of their machines are running at full capacity trying to keep up and get out some new mtb models. Once that's done we can make 24/28 happen but I think that's quite a ways off. As for heavier riders, it really depends on the rims and spokes as well. We did a set of Enve 3.4 on Alchemy hubs a couple years ago for a rider who was 125kgs, (almost 7 feet tall.) And those had to be done in 20/24. They've held up for him, but he's surprisingly easy on equipment. I think 85-90 is probably where I'd put these on the upper end with a stiff rim and thicker spokes, but of course that depends on the rider and conditions.

Mep wrote:That's quite the glowing review. How would you compare these to say the Extralites?
I like Extralite and it helps that they are the lightest option available. But I don't consider them to be a daily rider hub for most riders, so I'd not directly compare them. For event wheels the Extralites are a good choice for a lot of riders, but not as a daily driver.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

madcow wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:54 pm
Stolichnaya wrote:Thanks, Jason.
That's been the one complaint we have is that there is no 24/28 version. We've worked with Carbon-Ti to get a 24/28 version done, but right now all of their machines are running at full capacity trying to keep up and get out some new mtb models. Once that's done we can make 24/28 happen but I think that's quite a ways off. As for heavier riders, it really depends on the rims and spokes as well. We did a set of Enve 3.4 on Alchemy hubs a couple years ago for a rider who was 125kgs, (almost 7 feet tall.) And those had to be done in 20/24. They've held up for him, but he's surprisingly easy on equipment. I think 85-90 is probably where I'd put these on the upper end with a stiff rim and thicker spokes, but of course that depends on the rider and conditions.
Mep wrote:That's quite the glowing review. How would you compare these to say the Extralites?
I like Extralite and it helps that they are the lightest option available. But I don't consider them to be a daily rider hub for most riders, so I'd not directly compare them. For event wheels the Extralites are a good choice for a lot of riders, but not as a daily driver.
is the need for a little more regular maintenance that produces the caveat as a daily driver?? I know most riders (irrespective of intent) don't get around to appropriately maintaining their equipment.

lwk

by lwk

Is there maybe any news of these hubs coming out with 24/28 drilling?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

vamoots58 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 pm
is the need for a little more regular maintenance that produces the caveat as a daily driver?? I know most riders (irrespective of intent) don't get around to appropriately maintaining their equipment.
i guess it's because of 20/24 spoke count doesn't make the wheel super robust. 24/28 should be very strong daily abuseable for most people.

Multebear

by Multebear

Does anyone have long term experience with these hubs?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My experience is very good. They seem reliable and robust although one customer who hit a hole and dmaged his frame also cracked the hub flange, destroyed the axle and the all the rear hub bearings. I never say the bike. I think it might have been wrecked.

there is 24/28H now.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:31 pm
My experience is very good. They seem reliable and robust although one customer who hit a hole and dmaged his frame also cracked the hub flange, destroyed the axle and the all the rear hub bearings. I never say the bike. I think it might have been wrecked.

there is 24/28H now.
Ouch. Was it the front or rear hub? Heavy rider?

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rear hub. I never met the rider but he trashed his bike. Crash replacement frame and wheel. Pretty extreme situation though.