Bora Ultra 35 vs. 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikesaretite

by bikesaretite

Hi all,

I'm itching to get on to some race tubulars and have been sold by the CULT hubs of campy wheels, but now need to pick a set. The light weight of the 35s seem enticing but the aero advantage at only 55 grams more for the 50s seems like a better choice for cat1/2 racing. Anyone have any hard aero data for these wheels? I've combed the web and found nothing. Any advice?

lw11

by lw11

I have the Bora Ultra 50's but if I had my time over i'd go 35's. I'm 63 kg and live on the coast, so it does get quiet windy and I do notice the rim depth a bit when it's blustery. The roads are pretty flat though so I do notice it's easier to hold speed when there's not much wind. The CULT hubs are amazing; so smooth and hold speed really well/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i thought kgt referenced some testing of the bora's recently. from that german magazine. they went very well in esting too as i recall. there is no doubt in my mind you'd be better off with the 50s though. @kgt please inform us (unless i am mistaken)
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

mrgray wrote:i thought kgt referenced some testing of the bora's recently. from that german magazine. they went very well in esting too as i recall. there is no doubt in my mind you'd be better off with the 50s though. @kgt please inform us (unless i am mistaken)

I will call him......

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

3Pio

by 3Pio

bikesaretite wrote:Hi all,

I'm itching to get on to some race tubulars and have been sold by the CULT hubs of campy wheels, but now need to pick a set. The light weight of the 35s seem enticing but the aero advantage at only 55 grams more for the 50s seems like a better choice for cat1/2 racing. Anyone have any hard aero data for these wheels? I've combed the web and found nothing. Any advice?

I was beeing in similar dilemma (instead of Ultra i bought One version) and after reading the review in Tour Magazine, i decided to go for 35 since there was not so much aero advantage of 50 vs 35 version. Since i climb a lot another plus for 35s. Bonus is that i prefer how they look on my C60 :)

I would recommend to choose like this:

- If u are lightweight, go 35s.50S could be harsh

- If u heavyweight, go 50s

- If u climb a lot, go 35s

-If there is a lot of side wind, go 35s

Or another idea :) Instead of Ultra version, go for One version, and buy both of them :) (u'll spend 50% more then just Ultra, but ull have two wheelset :) )

The magazine u should read is Tour Magazine No 8 2016

And the thread discussed about that:

viewtopic.php?t=140537

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Buy both the Bora one 50 and Bora one 35, and do the ceramic update.

3Pio

by 3Pio

PinaRene wrote:Buy both the Bora one 50 and Bora one 35, and do the ceramic update.

If there is need at all for update. Im riding USB Bearings in Shamals and they are so smooth. And in Bora One they feel even smoother.

And no any maintance problems (i have ride Shamals whole season including rain, and bad weather)

Mep

by Mep

3Pio wrote:
bikesaretite wrote:Hi all,

I was beeing in similar dilemma (instead of Ultra i bought One version) and after reading the review in Tour Magazine, i decided to go for 35 since there was not so much aero advantage of 50 vs 35 version. Since i climb a lot another plus for 35s. Bonus is that i prefer how they look on my C60 :)

I would recommend to choose like this:

- If u are lightweight, go 35s.50S could be harsh

- If u heavyweight, go 50s

- If u climb a lot, go 35s

-If there is a lot of side wind, go 35s

Or another idea :) Instead of Ultra version, go for One version, and buy both of them :) (u'll spend 50% more then just Ultra, but ull have two wheelset :) )

The magazine u should read is Tour Magazine No 8 2016

And the thread discussed about that:

viewtopic.php?t=140537

This is good advice.

saeie1

by saeie1

I bought a Bora Ultra 35 to climb up the hill quickly.

And now I like it very much.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I'd go 50's every time. I bought the 50's when they came out and love them. I'm 56 kg and live in Norfolk where it's windy and flat. Have had no problems at all. On the odd occasion i'm lucky enough to go anywhere hilly they go up and down hills great. I was worried before I got them but my worries were unfounded. Can't see an application foe the 35's now at all as I have Shamals. I personally think the 50's look much much better and would love a set of 65's if ever they made them! I find that weight is not that important to me where I live but aero is.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

3Pio

by 3Pio

cmcdonnell wrote:I'd go 50's every time. I bought the 50's when they came out and love them. I'm 56 kg and live in Norfolk where it's windy and flat. Have had no problems at all. On the odd occasion i'm lucky enough to go anywhere hilly they go up and down hills great. I was worried before I got them but my worries were unfounded. Can't see an application foe the 35's now at all as I have Shamals. I personally think the 50's look much much better and would love a set of 65's if ever they made them! I find that weight is not that important to me where I live but aero is.

I also have Shamals and i will compare them to Bora One 35s.

Bora 35 keep speed much better on flat parts.

On Hills cant notice big difference (still need to ride a bit more to compare this, since i have only 450 km on Bora's).

Bora 35's are much much stiffer wheelset then Shamals.

I can feel side wind a bit more on Bora 35s vs Shamals.

In my area is very hilly so always climbing and low weight vs aero :)

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

I had similar situation and went with the 35s for two reasons:
1) The 35s are not as harsh and since I like doing longish rides, 100km+ this becomes important.
2) Less issues with cross-winds
It only hurts if you think.

AJS914

by AJS914

bikesaretite wrote: for cat1/2 racing.

I wouldn't subject a hard to service and rebuild $1500 set of wheels to racing. You can build a good set of wheels with an aero aluminum rim for $600. If you damage a wheel in a crash then you can easily rebuild it and won't be out a small fortune.

saeie1

by saeie1

I chose 35 to climb the hill quickly, but I want to use it for visuals 50

eurperg

by eurperg

There's no weight difference between Bora 35 Ultra and 50 Ultra, at least not in the pair I have weighed. Actually the 50's were a couple grams lighter! There are many real weights in the Bora topic on this forum. The 35's have a more neutral and unnoticeable feel, whereas the 50's are more noisy. That is something you either like or not like... The pre-2015 Ultra Twos were not as good in crosswind as the new 50's. I have ridden both back to back and do not regret buying the 35's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com