Help me slam my stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Some people do intentionally buy bikes with tall head tubes so they can slam their bike easier. Older S5 is a good option I think.

https://www.nrgcycles.co.uk/60584/produ ... oCYOXw_wcB

AJS914

by AJS914

I was going to post that slamming the stem to make a fashion statement is just dumb especially if it makes your neck hurt.

If you only have a 1/2" drop though from saddle to bars and only 2.5cm of spacers then it sounds like your frame is too big. You should probably be looking for some professional help with fitting. When pros slam their stem it's usually on a frame that is a size or two too small.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

AJS914 wrote:When pros slam their stem it's usually on a frame that is a size or two too small.

That makes sense to me. I see a lot of people on here with frames smaller than mine. Either every cyclist on here is 5'8" or shorter, or a lot of people are riding smaller frames. I have a 56 with 50mm of spacers. I recently went from a 100mm to 110mm and put one of my 5mm spacers above going from a stack of 55mm spacers. I am more comfortable riding in the drops for long periods of time. I feel ok with that, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the enjoyability of my rides just to please some internet trolls. Slammed stems do look cool, but that's not why I bought or ride my bike.

Mep

by Mep

AJS914 wrote:I was going to post that slamming the stem to make a fashion statement is just dumb especially if it makes your neck hurt.

If you only have a 1/2" drop though from saddle to bars and only 2.5cm of spacers then it sounds like your frame is too big. You should probably be looking for some professional help with fitting. When pros slam their stem it's usually on a frame that is a size or two too small.

A lot of great feedback in this thread. What's your thinking on the frame being too big?

I'm trying to envision a smaller frame - my saddle would be same height, reach would be shorter, but presumably I'd still have to get the handlebar up to the same height.
Last edited by Mep on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

The frame sounds too small because you said you only have 1/2 inch drop from saddle to bars and you are trying to remove 25mm of spacers to slam your stem. That means your max drop would be only 40mm on this bike. On most road bikes you should be able to achieve a much larger max drop than that. I'm guessing that you have a short stem on the bike?

Now, maybe you didn't fully describe it or I misinterpreted what you wrote. If you posted your height and the size of your bike and maybe pictures people here could really help you.

Mep

by Mep

Good call. I think you might be right. I'm inclined to think that I need a smaller frame. I'm pretty comfortable on the drops even though it's vertically lower, and I think it might be because the drops are closer to me.

joejack951

by joejack951

Mep wrote:I'm trying to envision a smaller frame - my saddle would be same height, reach would be shorter, but presumably I'd still have to get the handlebar up to the same height.

Or, your saddle would be the same height, your reach would be the same courtesy of a longer stem, and your handlebars would be much lower than your saddle, the latter point taking advantage of the #1 reason to ride a smaller frame.

If you don't want low handlebars, ride a bigger frame. Simple as that. Sounds like that is where you are already so carrying on. Perhaps over time you can work on increasing your flexibility and strengthening your core to allow for gradually lower handlebars. Once you have your stem slammed then consider a smaller frame (and/or more race-oriented frame if you ride an 'endurance' frame now) to go even lower. You can also use a more negatively angled stem to lower your bars.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Another thread that could be improved 100-fold with photos. Not that they would make an internet bike fit more legit, just more entertaining. SS is a racy frame anyway, no shame in spacer-ing.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I still don't understand why the OP wants to slam his stem.

He says that lowering his bars any more is uncomfortable and makes his neck hurt. What's the point in intentionally putting yourself into a position that makes you hurt?

This is like when my wife used to buy ridiculous shoes because they looked good but never actually wore them because they hurt her feet.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've read the OP's various statements about his fit and like most here I'm confused. With an almost slammed saddle and complaints about feeling stretched, I can only picture someone who was sold a bike way too big originally.

We still have absolutely no information about OP's own or the bike's dimensions.

Surely OP could at least post up a picture of his bike.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Even easier than posting a picture of OP's bike would be posting OP's height and frame size.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Or we start a book.

My bet is 5' 4" on a 58 cm frame.

One.

Mep

by Mep

Keep them coming. All profits go to Julio [emoji6]

Apologies for not including what would probably be helpful information. 5'7 on a 52cm. I don't roll the way you do Julio.

Mep

by Mep

And to everyone who was asking for photos, I'm traveling this week so not able to post any but will try to when I get back.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Well, I thought that might coax some information out of you.

Without knowing anything else I'm left thinking "why is the saddle so low?"

If you are 5' 7" on a 52 cm which normally one would think is approximately right.

Perhaps you are unusually proportioned?

Short legs and long torso is not unusual. But then why would you feel "stretched?"

So many questions........

Calling for a qualified professional fit, rather than the internet version.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com