Help me slam my stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe it's a 52 sloping frame? If this were a Colnago 52S, then the frame would be way too big.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

OP has a Cannondale SS. Stated in first post. Horizontal TT. It's a small frame.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

I agree with Bikerjulio. OP, a fit "years ago" may no longer work for you.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Wookski

by Wookski

Just slam and deal with it- Spacers are horrible

Mep

by Mep

The overwhelming advice appears to be just do it and progress slowly, so that's what I did. Photos of the current set up

http://picpaste.com/b9d342139b8d95a42ee ... b470f5.jpg
http://picpaste.com/IMG-20170325-WA0003-ow5J83fy.jpg

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I found that straightening my back and rotating my hips when lowering my stem helped with my neck issue. By straightening my back, I'm naturally looking more forward/upward rather than downward.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

that is helpful.

I'm old and not at all flexible and I still ride lower, so I think you just need time to adapt.

Your stem is flipped up so you still have room to get lower if you want to later.

You don't look "stretched". about right.

If anything the saddle looks a little low to me. You could try raising 1/2 cm at a time.

The "hip rotation" comment is good. This brings us to the saddle angle. If the nose is up then you won't be able to comfortably rotate the hips forward. Saddle should be level or even down slightly.

Lets see what others think.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

KCookie

by KCookie

Use the tools suggested by sugarkane, cut the steerer, eat some cement and HTFU. [emoji1]

Seriously though, ive just slammed my stem, looks good and best of all feels great. Never been more comfortable.
Can always buy another fork.!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

I would do what was mentioned and rotate your hips.
And try to keep better posture and straighten your back a bit. Which sort of goes hand in hand with the rotated hips.
Chasse patate

Mep

by Mep

I have a long torso and tend to slouch so it makes sense that you guys are saying to straighten my back. Are we talking about lower or upper back though?

What I'm interpreting so far is to tilt the saddle angle down slightly (mine is perfectly level currently), rotate hips forward and try to bring up lower back to be more parallel to the ground.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think you should get some professional advice.

FWIW, people usually aren't concerned about slamming their stem when it is flipped upwards like yours.

dj97223

by dj97223

I've figured out your problem -- your white bulbous head is too large for your neck.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Mep wrote:I have a long torso and tend to slouch so it makes sense that you guys are saying to straighten my back. Are we talking about lower or upper back though?

What I'm interpreting so far is to tilt the saddle angle down slightly (mine is perfectly level currently), rotate hips forward and try to bring up lower back to be more parallel to the ground.

Meld has an article on hip rotation https://medium.com/@meld3d/hip-rotation-5919de70a956, the pictures may be useful. For me, I think of it as pushing my stomach forward, so more of a lower back thing. Also, lowering stem impacts bike fit, so you may need to adjust say your stem length, saddle position etc. And because it impacts fit, it's best to do it a little at a time and have the body adjust gradually.