Help me slam my stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

silvalis

by silvalis

zero setback post?
Chasse patate

Mep

by Mep

5 degrees may have been too much. Had slight numbness yesterday on an hour long ride which I haven't had before. It was +1 before and about -4 now. I'll probably adjust it to -2 or so.

The post is indeed zero setback and saddle is quite far forward. Position was set with the good old knees over spindles method. I don't feel cramped though. When riding I find myself wanting to move to the nose of the saddle rather than shifting back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Sorry if I missed this but does your saddle have a channel or cutout? If the numbness is in your perineum and not your hands (i.e. you use your arms to stop slipping forward), then having the nose up will put more pressure on your perineum. If your hips are rotated sufficiently, the narrower part of the saddle fits the rami better so sitting closer to the front of the saddle feels better.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

OP, did you do your fit yourself, because you mention Knee over pedal spindle, but your knee looks like it is way in front of the spindle.

You also do not rotate your hips at all. A longer stem might help you do that.

Mep

by Mep

My saddle has a cut out. Numbness is in the perineum with the new position, which wasn't there before when the saddle was angled about +1. I got fitted at my LBS initially, but obviously not with this new saddle angle which has shifted me a little forward. I have to say I am genuinely intrigued with the idea of a longer stem. I might try to acquire one cheaply and see what that does to the fit.

silvalis

by silvalis

Numbness is bad, so level it back out at maybe -1 or 2 down.

I'd also check your kops like mentioned above. You don't look like you have short femurs so I'm a bit curious as to why you're on a zero setback with the seat forward (and on a saddle that doesnt have an extremely rearwards seating position eg an smp). Cleats all the way back too?

And as above, rotate your hips. Do this by trying to straighten your lower back. Then whack on an appropriately longer stem.
Chasse patate

Kurets

by Kurets

The issue is simple, the saddle is too far forward, the bars too close and too high. Any bike fitting should start with finding a stable position for the saddle KOPS or not. You should have enough setback that you can support your upper body through your core and not your arms. The stem length and height should then be chosen based on desired riding position and fitness.

The setup you have now looks like the awful setups bike shops do for new cyclists who are not comfortable with a road bike set up as it should. As posters above have written, the bike looks extremely cramped right now. You cannot tweak yourself to good position from this IMO, you need big changes, and that will feel wierd at first.

Wookski

by Wookski

Kurets wrote:The issue is simple, the saddle is too far forward, the bars too close and too high. Any bike fitting should start with finding a stable position for the saddle KOPS or not. You should have enough setback that you can support your upper body through your core and not your arms. The stem length and height should then be chosen based on desired riding position and fitness.

The setup you have now looks like the awful setups bike shops do for new cyclists who are not comfortable with a road bike set up as it should. As posters above have written, the bike looks extremely cramped right now. You cannot tweak yourself to good position from this IMO, you need big changes, and that will feel wierd at first.

^ this. The setup is aesthetically offensive, get a longer stem and run it with -ve rise. Just replicate the setup of your favourite pro- it'll look awesome.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I want to clarify my suggestion about the longer stem.

You need to get your saddle position relative to the BB set first. As many of us have said, you look way too far forward. Once you have that set, then look at bar position.

As for my suggestion of a longer stem, I found that going with a longer stem (120) helps me to elongate my back and rotate my hips. When my stem is shorter, I tend to curl my back. Others may have different experiences.

Mep

by Mep

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I realize there's only so much a virtual bike fit can do. Will probably try to acquire a longer stem and keep y'all posted.

PrimO

by PrimO

Mep wrote:I ride a SS Evo and currently have about 25mm in spacers under my stem. Saddle is maybe about a half inch vertically higher than handlebars.

I'm pretty flexible and have a reasonably strong core, but when I bring the stem lower I find myself reaching too much and dealing with serious neck pain. I did a bike fit years ago to get my current fit, but that was before I got into trying to optimize my position for aerodynamics.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing differently? Is the geometry that extreme that I need to look into a different frame?

Your saddle is only 12mm higher than the bars yet you think your quite flexible? I would say the problem is that your not flexible, ok so the current set up works but your not flexible enough to go lower. I'm 47yrs and certainly not flexible yet my saddle is over 100mm higher than my bars. You need to work on your flexibility and lower the bars gradually (10mm at a time) and give each a few weeks for your body to adjust gradually to the new position.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

The OP said he could bend over and put his palms on the floor. That's pretty flexible in my book!!

Personally, I couldn't touch my toes if there was a $1000 bill laid on them, but I comfortably run 115mm of drop.