Chain length - Campy Record 11s on C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im Replacing the chain (after 4250km) on my bike so wanted to be sure that the length is right.Campagnolo suggest 8-15 mm distance between the chain and part of deralieur and im measuring about 16mm. If i put one link longer than there is rubbing in small chainring because chain too close.
So am i ok like this or i should go one link longer?

Thanks

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That looks fine. I always also take a look at the big/big combo. If I have some chain to spare in the big/big combination, then, and only then, I may shorten further. Having the chain shorter in the small/small combo is not a bad thing IMO. But the bottom line is that that rear derailleur needs to be safe in the big/big. That's my approach.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Usually just take 4 complete links off each new chain before installing.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Looks right. I use small-small and then do exactly what you have done and try to use the longest length. If it is too long it will not properly clear. I would check with the existing chain length also.

I always give the chain a very good clean (instant debate) also, to get off all the storage grease you see in the photos.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would go for as long as you can as this allows for running any cassette from the 11/23 up to the 11/29 without worrying about chain or causing excessive tension on the system when it is in big/big. In your case it looks like a judgement call since your two options are sort of at each extreme of long and short. If it were me, I would "possibly" go with the longer option even though it may be grazing the above pulley cage slightly when in the small small. Couple of caveats...1) When I say grazing, I mean grazing... not rubbing with any force. Since you should rarely, and possible never, be using the small/small combo, it should be ok. If it clears when it's on the second smallest cog that should be ok... provided 2) that there is at least some tension on the rear derailleur spring when it is in the small/small, even though it may be grazing a bit. Again, kind of a judement call that I would want to see and play with a bit in person before deciding. You'll likely be fine with the length you show, but I like it closer to 10mm than 15mm. I did notice they changed the spec from 8-15mm to 10-15mm on the 2015+ stuff.

I experimented with this a lot when setting up my C60, and the longer option was best for my situation, although my choice was a lot clearer than yours. That's why I say yours is a judgement call. If it is too short, you may have difficulty adjusting the thing later so that you get the 5-7mm gap between the largest cog and the upper pulley when the chain is on the small chain ring up front.

I talked about that a fair bit in my build thread. Here's the link to the relevant post, you may want to read the couple of posts before it and after it for the complete story...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142391&start=75#p1299386
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

Mr.Gib wrote:That looks fine. I always also take a look at the big/big combo. If I have some chain to spare in the big/big combination, then, and only then, I may shorten further. Having the chain shorter in the small/small combo is not a bad thing IMO. But the bottom line is that that rear derailleur needs to be safe in the big/big. That's my approach.

And this is how look in Big-Big

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Oucchhhh! That hurts. Go longer.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

ghisallo2003 wrote:Looks right. I use small-small and then do exactly what you have done and try to use the longest length. If it is too long it will not properly clear. I would check with the existing chain length also.

I always give the chain a very good clean (instant debate) also, to get off all the storage grease you see in the photos.

The old chain is one link longer then this, but it was transfered from my old Pinarelo, and beeing in hurry to start riding my C60 as soon as possible, i asked a help from local shop to check chain, and to adjust properly deralieurs (and they did not adjust the front deralieur properly, and also the chain protector and i found that wrong way...), so im not sure if they adjusted the chain properly or it was easier for them just to install it without shortening.

BTW, existing chain length (one link longer), it's same number of links suggested by some chain length app (enter cogs, then chainstay length, and it's calculate number of links..

About cleaning the chain i had idea that is good to left this grease, but probably im wrong (i admit i did not analyze that properly until now).

Calnago wrote:I would go for as long as you can as this allows for running any cassette from the 11/23 up to the 11/29 without worrying about chain or causing excessive tension on the system when it is in big/big. In your case it looks like a judgement call since your two options are sort of at each extreme of long and short. If it were me, I would "possibly" go with the longer option even though it may be grazing the above pulley cage slightly when in the small small. Couple of caveats...1) When I say grazing, I mean grazing... not rubbing with any force. Since you should rarely, and possible never, be using the small/small combo, it should be ok. If it clears when it's on the second smallest cog that should be ok... provided 2) that there is at least some tension on the rear derailleur spring when it is in the small/small, even though it may be grazing a bit. Again, kind of a judement call that I would want to see and play with a bit in person before deciding. You'll likely be fine with the length you show, but I like it closer to 10mm than 15mm.

I experimented with this a lot when setting up my C60, and the longer option was best for my situation, although my choice was a lot clearer than yours. That's why I say yours is a judgement call. If it is too short, you may have difficulty adjusting the thing later so that you get the 5-7mm gap between the largest cog and the upper pulley when the chain is on the small chain ring up front.

I talked about that a fair bit in my build thread. Here's the link to the relevant post, you may want to read the couple of posts before it and after it for the complete story...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142391&start=75#p1299386

Thanks Calnago for detailed post. On this chain i'll use only one cassette, and that is 11-29 Chorus i have. The chain im replacing was one link longer, but as i said it rubbing the cogs that way when small-small. I use sometimes that combination going on few deg downhill. I'll definetly read ur link, and also tommorow will post pics from small-small and big-big with one link longer.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:Oucchhhh! That hurts. Go longer.

Thanks for quick reply :)

Ill try one link longer (as it was before), and send pics so that what we can see which combination to stay :)

And here is longer version

Big-Big

And Small-Small

This is less then suggested 8-15 mm

So longer or shortet the final sugestion will be?
Last edited by 3Pio on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grumpus

by grumpus

I'll take longer even before seeing the pictures. The small, small and big, big combinations are probably equally unlikely to occur on the road, but if you end up small small for a second or two with a too long chain, you might get some rub on the derailleur. If you end up in big big with a too short chain, you risk ripping the derailleur off with likely wheel/frame consequences too. Not fun.

3Pio

by 3Pio

grumpus wrote:I'll take longer even before seeing the pictures. The small, small and big, big combinations are probably equally unlikely to occur on the road, but if you end up small small for a second or two with a too long chain, you might get some rub on the derailleur. If you end up in big big with a too short chain, you risk ripping the derailleur off with likely wheel/frame consequences too. Not fun.

Ok, going longer :)

Thanks to everyone

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup. Longer. Is there at least a little tension on the derailleur in the small/small?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That is totally nasty. I would never even shift past the second largest cog on the stand if I saw that the cage was heading that way. Ouch indeed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

em3

by em3

BINGO.....go longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:Yup. Longer. Is there at least a little tension on the derailleur in the small/small?

Yes, i checked that this morning and there is small amount of tension (but very small)

Mr.Gib wrote:

That is totally nasty. I would never even shift past the second largest cog on the stand if I saw that the cage was heading that way. Ouch indeed.

:) U are right.. I put it there with my hands, no shifting. But i agree.. Looking nasty.

BTW, another dilemma now. On the last chain i used a KMC Quick Link 11s since i like to clean my chain and drivetrain after some time (ussually after 1000 km, i disconnect chain, and clean it putting in degreaser. This include dismouting of cassette and Jockey pulleys of rear deralieur and also putting them in degreaser).

Of course i put some grease when i assembly jockeys.

To be this procedure even easier i bought Park Tool Pillars for connecting/disconnecting of quick link easier.

I did not notice any problems with this quick link. This time i want to to test for first 1000 km the Campagnolo pin, and after that to replace it with QuickLink.

Is there any advantage of Campagnolo connection pin vs KMC QuickLink?

If i do that way (trying Campagnolo pin in first 1000 km, then switching to QuickLink), on which link to brake the chain for installing quicklink? On the link where the Campagnolo pin is installed, or something random?

And should i install Campagolo pin at all, or to go from start with QuickLink?