Accidentally bought a counterfeit Look :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

I'd be perfectly fine having the seller sent to French Guyana Papillon style.

dj97223

by dj97223

Cash payment in a back alley: "I knew it was probably stolen, but I didn't know it was fake. Man, you can't trust anyone these days." :roll:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol^
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Antoine

by Antoine

Leboncoin is notoriouslly bad, fake or stolen goods for sale, sellers robbed at gunpoint, ...

If you are still in Paris go in a police station to tell your story. If you can provide some information on the seller and proof of payments they may help you.
You can set up a meeting with the seller (pretexting something like wanting to buy another bike or stuff) and they will arrest him as soon as he shows up.

If not go in any police station (in a large city) or a gendarmerie (small city) for advice.

If you have to go through the tribunal d'instance it's going to take a long time.

jeffy

by jeffy

not to say it IS unreliable, but i wouldn't trust it.

Buy a CAAD / Emonda ALR Frameset

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I heard Team Sky bought their trispoke wheels from Paris.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Hahaha.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

rainerhq wrote:I heard Team Sky bought their trispoke wheels from Paris.

No. Couriered over from Manchester. No point in buying locally when you can pay someone to travel for a day.

glepore

by glepore

I'm with the camp that is flipping you the bird-bargain price, cash, back alley...hmmm, sounds like you were ok being on the side of the crime that made out, and ended up on the side of the crime that didn't.

Ride the damn thing, its probably fine, and if it isn't you deserve what you get.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope that you didn't pay "look" prices for that counterfeit frame but at this point, its all in hindsight.

Since you have it, can't do anything about it in regards to re-selling it, might as well build it with cheap components and use as a commuter bike?

If it looks too good to be true, sounds too good to be true, then well.. it probably, the reality is exactly that.. for a reason.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

geedawg

by geedawg

To echo a lot of what's been said, just b/c it is counterfeit doesn't mean that it is dangerous to ride. . .it could potentially be just fine. On the other hand, it could explode over the first pothole. You just have no idea with these type of frames. I wouldn't touch it myself. . .not worth the potential of injury. But like some others on the forum, it could be just fine. Everyone has a different level of risk adverse-ness.

superdx

by superdx

I'd echo a previous comment and go with an aluminium frame like CAAD, Canyon or Trek. Fairly inexpensive. You said you spent a fair bit on the components already so an aluminium frame should not be out of your reach.

You might be fine, but an accident might cost you way more in medical bills. More importantly, time off the bike. I wouldn't risk it.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

chipomarc wrote:You guys buying these are the same types that are buying stolen bikes.

Never bough a stolen bike in my life. Also, because I bought a copy does not mean I was going to buy the original.

mattr

by mattr

chipomarc wrote:can't think of anyone being so stupid as to think Look would care about this.
Can't think of anyone stupid enough to think that a manufacturer wouldn't be interested in someone selling counterfeit frames.

Oh, yeah. Maybe one. :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

mattr wrote:
chipomarc wrote:can't think of anyone being so stupid as to think Look would care about this.
Can't think of anyone stupid enough to think that a manufacturer wouldn't be interested in someone selling counterfeit frames.

Sure but it's clearly in the context of the OP wondering if Look can do something for him (my impression was he was asking them to give him a real frame to replace his fake) which is cloud cuckoo land stuff.