Accidentally bought a counterfeit Look :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Some photos would make this thread 100x better than it already is. OP, how did you come to know that your frame is fake?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

OP has 3 posts and this topic was his first. Not sure if he was a trolling but this thread is entertaining though.

kode54

by kode54

well, at least you got something instead of a lump on your head and no bike and/or cash. if you're meeting someone in a back alley and you have cash on you...i can only imagine the worse possible scenario.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Looks (haha!) like it was pointless me offering to help......

Kaboom

by Kaboom

From a european point of view, you americans sure are paranoid about conducting cash transactions on the street.

About 70% of my bike comes from adverts on milanuncios.com, which is the spanish equivalent of leboncoin, and of those most were conducted locally, paid with cash, with no previous contact before the transaction other than a couple of SMS messages to find out details and arrange a meeting point. And not only bike parts, plenty of the stuff I own was purchased in this way, and plenty of my friends and family operate in this way quite often.

So far I haven't gotten mugged, ripped off, held at gunpoint or sold fakes. This is more than I can say for eBay. I have however scored some amazing deals that certainly fell in the "too good to be true" camp. As of last friday, a complete set of second hand SISL2 cranks with spidering and an extra 110bcd spider for 200€.

I'm aware that crime rates, or perceived crime rates, seem to be a lot higher in the States than in Europe, but the behaviour some of you guys are describing as naive, irresponsible, downright stupid and "getting what you deserve" certainly does not match how business is conducted between many individuals on this side of the pond.

About the bike... I'd put some knobby tires on it, head to a cyclocross track and beat the shit out of it. Of nothing breaks, cracks or snaps, I'd probably have no issue riding that frame anywhere.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

^^ Shill/troll alert with 1 post.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

TarugoKing wrote:^^ Shill/troll alert with 1 post.

Really? Who's my post trolling?

You guys are crucifying the poor dude for getting ripped off while doing things the way THEY ARE NORMALLY DONE in Europe. I don't care if you get shot or mugged or raped the second you step foot on the street in NYC, Detroit or wherever the fck and that leads you to think that the rest of the world is the same.

1 post because I have nothing to contribute and no questions to ask, but I've been lurking for a loooong while. I learned how to glue tubies from this forum.

kode54

by kode54

well, things may be different in Europe or even in Asia...but there are more scams and other dealings with Craigslist and other online bartering sites. besides, seems that more folks are 'carrying' than ever before...and the ease of getting a firearm is much easier than getting a license to carry one. there's a certain street smarts that one gets living in New York City. granted, there are safer places....but cheap, back streets, cash do not go together.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Kaboom wrote:From a european point of view, you americans sure are paranoid about conducting cash transactions on the street.

About 70% of my bike comes from adverts on milanuncios.com, which is the spanish equivalent of leboncoin, and of those most were conducted locally, paid with cash, with no previous contact before the transaction other than a couple of SMS messages to find out details and arrange a meeting point. And not only bike parts, plenty of the stuff I own was purchased in this way, and plenty of my friends and family operate in this way quite often.

So far I haven't gotten mugged, ripped off, held at gunpoint or sold fakes. This is more than I can say for eBay. I have however scored some amazing deals that certainly fell in the "too good to be true" camp. As of last friday, a complete set of second hand SISL2 cranks with spidering and an extra 110bcd spider for 200€.

I'm aware that crime rates, or perceived crime rates, seem to be a lot higher in the States than in Europe, but the behaviour some of you guys are describing as naive, irresponsible, downright stupid and "getting what you deserve" certainly does not match how business is conducted between many individuals on this side of the pond.

About the bike... I'd put some knobby tires on it, head to a cyclocross track and beat the shit out of it. Of nothing breaks, cracks or snaps, I'd probably have no issue riding that frame anywhere.

Where this "deals" made in Spain? I will assume so because milanuncios.com is only Spanish based. I will call your trade total BS. Local second hand bike market in Spain is the stupidest shit I have ever seen. People sell you used shit more expensive than new. The typical "deal" in Spain goes something along the lines of buying something used with a 10-20% discount. Thats why I buy all my stuff new or copies from aliexpress.

Vieuxchnoque

by Vieuxchnoque

Lots of counterfeit pina's on marktplaats ( Dutch craigslist). Riding a Pinarello is like owning a Rolex, many people will assume it to be a fake.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

So you ride your bike for the thoughts of other people? ;-)
I don't give a damn if they think my Dogma is real or not, I know its a real one. My bike, my pleasure :-)

AJS914

by AJS914

I agree with Kaboom. Suggesting that the OP knew he was probably buying stolen goods is uncalled for. He got ripped off. Enough said. He acknowledges that he was stupid.

Anyway, in the US I've done hundreds of transactions on craigslist buying and selling used bike stuff and have never had a problem nor have been ripped off.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

fabriciom wrote:Where this "deals" made in Spain? I will assume so because milanuncios.com is only Spanish based. I will call your trade total BS. Local second hand bike market in Spain is the stupidest shit I have ever seen. People sell you used shit more expensive than new. The typical "deal" in Spain goes something along the lines of buying something used with a 10-20% discount. Thats why I buy all my stuff new or copies from aliexpress.

Hola Fabriciom! Soy el mismo Kaboom de foromtb!

Yeah all of these were conducted in Spain, both in Madrid and in Palma de Mallorca, where I'm living now. There is a lot of overpriced crap on milanuncios but good stuff pops up every now and then, and I've never had a problem.

I bought an almost complete (full group except for cranks, chain and brake calipers) Sram Red 10v a couple of years ago for 350€. Excellent condition, no problems whatsoever.
I also bought the FSA SLK-Light crankset, 0 miles (not even a single chain mark on the rings), taken off a brand new bike, 160€.
Spare set of Speedplay cleats, brand new, 25€ including shipping.

And lots of other non-bike-related stuff.

However a lot of stuff also came from the buy/sell section of foromtb. Also mostly overpriced but again, great stuff comes up every now and then. I paid 170€ for my lightly used, great condition CAAD9 frame there.

Sure it's not like stuff's free, but there are some deals to be found.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Kaboom those are normal used prices atleast here in Finland. They are okey but nothing special. I have done much better deals myself.