Rd7970A-need a little love...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

Guys-does anyone have actual access to a rd7970a-they're not in Shimano's wholesale catalog in the USA yet, and my second rd7970 just died. My one choice at the moment is a NOS rd7970 at $660 ( no used parts on fleabay), and at that price I'd almost rather drop a grand into a minigroup and battery and go 9070, as they don't fail. The rd7970's all seem doomed, but the 7970a seems a perfect solution. If anyone can actually get a 7970a, shoot me a pm or reply here.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

glepore wrote:Guys-does anyone have actual access to a rd7970a-they're not in Shimano's wholesale catalog in the USA yet, and my second rd7970 just died. My one choice at the moment is a NOS rd7970 at $660 ( no used parts on fleabay), and at that price I'd almost rather drop a grand into a minigroup and battery and go 9070, as they don't fail. The rd7970's all seem doomed, but the 7970a seems a perfect solution. If anyone can actually get a 7970a, shoot me a pm or reply here.

viewtopic.php?t=142606

glepore

by glepore

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of the wholesaler and the ebay uk link. They won't post to US-shimano has restrictions apparently. Hoping for a little help from a member here with actual access...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

androidavies

by androidavies

The RD7970a is available in the UK from Madison, the Shimano importer. They have stock available, their suggested retail is £549!!

I'd think any shop over here would be looking for payment up front, before special ordering one in for you and sending it across…..

I have a used RD7970, you can PM me about it, or e mail, androidavies at gmail dot com It's surplus, so be happy to see it getting some use. I'd rate it 7.5/10 for condition, and it has aftermarket jockeys in it.

A.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Iirc the 7970-a and 6770-a were just custom versions of the 9070 and 6870 designs with a 10 speed firmware programmed. The 7970-a required some goofy converter box to go from etube (at the derailleur) to the old style di2 5-pin cables. Which means you'd need both. But I think there's a chance you could use any etube derailleur with that converter box. Of course that all depends on getting either of those in the states. So the simpler bet is probably just a used 7970 classic off eBay or just upgrading the whole grouppo

glepore

by glepore

The 7970a isn't a was, its a new product introduced around the same time as the new DA. You're correct that its just a rd9070 with a box. The box isn't available separately. The issue with buying the original rd7970 is that its doomed, they all (or at least too many, this will be my third and I have friends that have lost theirs as well) eventually lose indexing or die. Mine overshifted into the wheel (the limit was set loose b/c it was stubborn about the 28) and was no more- no damage but no activation. Had been funky for a while. So given that the only rd7970 on ebay now is $695 and I can buy the a version for less than that, if they would ship to US, isn't really sensible. Upgrading is ok, but my fd/shifters are perfect, you need cables and a different battery mount. So around 1k. Hence why I'd rather figure out how to get an a version or a crapshoot cheap 7970. Plus I have a bunch of 10s wheels.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I looked into it while building up a 6770 gruppo bc I didn't want to switch all my bikes to 11 speed. The 7970-a and 6770-a have existed as a model for about about a year and a half as far as I can tell. I don't think it was ever intended as a consumer part, most early references imply that it was offered as a warranty replacement part or dealer service part. I tweeted to shimano and they basically gave me the runaround.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShimanoROAD/ ... 1633786880
I ended up just buying a used 6770 derailleur.
If you find a us distributor i would be very interested.

rcb78

by rcb78

kulivontot wrote:I don't think it was ever intended as a consumer part, most early references imply that it was offered as a warranty replacement part or dealer service part. I tweeted to shimano and they basically gave me the runaround.

This is exactly what it is for,, straight from the mouths of the guys in the Shimano America HQ. Getting ahold of one will require a dealer that has a solid relationship with Shimano. They really have no plans to make this a readily available item, just a last ditch way to save a groupset for someone that's an original owner from day one. Once it's in the dealers hands, it's their choice what to do with it, but it is not intended for resale, only for support.

KCookie

by KCookie

jmstar wrote:very nice~

What's very nice, just after posts for discount.

glepore

by glepore

rcb78 wrote:
kulivontot wrote:I don't think it was ever intended as a consumer part, most early references imply that it was offered as a warranty replacement part or dealer service part. I tweeted to shimano and they basically gave me the runaround.

This is exactly what it is for,, straight from the mouths of the guys in the Shimano America HQ. Getting ahold of one will require a dealer that has a solid relationship with Shimano. They really have no plans to make this a readily available item, just a last ditch way to save a groupset for someone that's an original owner from day one. Once it's in the dealers hands, it's their choice what to do with it, but it is not intended for resale, only for support.

Right, that's what I'm afraid of. The bike is a 2012 Cannondale with DA 7970 supplied oem, but I was gifted it used. Ordered one from Hollandbikeshop, lets see if they can actually deliver. In the meanwhile would still buy a 7970 for short term.

Thanks for the feedback.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

glepore wrote:
rcb78 wrote:

Right, that's what I'm afraid of. The bike is a 2012 Cannondale with DA 7970 supplied oem, but I was gifted it used. Ordered one from Hollandbikeshop, lets see if they can actually deliver. In the meanwhile would still buy a 7970 for short term.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think your original idea of spending a little more cash and going for an upgrade system to 9070, or even 6870 for less money, is the smart way to go. There's little point spending crazy money trying to keep components going that the manufacturer orphaned five years ago. You'll get the advantage of E-Tube cabling and will be able to mix and match for years to come and any replacements you need will be far cheaper and much, much easier to source.

glepore

by glepore

Just to bring this full circle, for anyone who's looking in the future, ordered it on 3/21 and it arrived today (!). It was "discounted" as well, about 490 pounds. I'll test it later, but believe that the "magic box" that isn't available separately would allow one to use any etube 10 or 11 speed derailleur.

Its a shame the adapter isn't available as standalone part to enable an 11 speed upgrade path.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I had someone test the 7970A 'box' with a 9070 mech. And plug his 7970a mech into a 9070 shifting system. Neither worked.

Maybe it's a firmware issue but at first glance the parts are not interchangeable between systems.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The 7970 system doesn't work off a "BUS" system like the newer e-tube ones.

So, the junction box is just a cable adaptor junction. It shouldn't work with the newer e-tube shifters and FD systems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com