Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:04 pm 

I'm looking for a recommendation on the best glue for the material that makes up the Dura Ace 7970 Di2 Brake Lever body.

Before you get excited... this is a non-structural component that I'm glueing. I'm removing the Di2 guts from a Dura Ace 7970 Di2 lever so that I can use it for a 1X setup on my cross bike. I've removed the shift buttons and levers, the flightdeck buttons and the Di2 shifter sockets. Whats left is the Lever body panels. My plan is to glue them back into place so that there are no "voids" in the Brake lever body underneath the brake hood.

All the unnecessary parts have been removed and the body panels are cleaned up and are ready to be glued in place. Anyone have any ideas?

I think that this plastic is carbon reinforced plastic, similar to Look pedal bodies, or some water bottle cages, but I'm not sure.

Sean

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:04 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm 

It's Nylon so not the easiest material to bond too,but being glass filled will help get a key on the surface to bond. Its best to abrade the surface you want to get a good key, i've had success with methacrylate adhesives such as Devweld, and silicon adhesive works pretty well also. Or you could try melting and fusing the surfaces together. For a definitive guide see below,

http://www.permabond.com/2015/03/18/bon ... -adhesive/