Di2 fine tuning problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

havana

by havana

I can't get my Di2 setup to work properly.

Problem:

With the chain on the 34T: shifting in the rear is poor, so I used the fine tuning setting to adjust the gears (setting -3). Now all is well, but when I shift to the big ring (50T), shifting in the rear is mediocre. By using the fine tuning settings again I can make the gears work properly again, but obviously that doesn't solve the problem. It's a vicious circle.

Hardware

- Ultegra Di2 11-speed
- Long cage derailleur
- SRAM 11-speed chain
- Marchisio 11 speed cassette 13-30
- Quarq power meter

What have I tried to solve the problem

- Aligning the derailleur hanger about 6 times
- Using a brand new derailleur hanger (including alignment)
- Re-adjusting the inner and outer limit of the RD
- Adjusting the B-screws on the RD
Last edited by havana on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Just curious - have you had these same shifting issues with any other cassettes? I've personally found that sometimes the cassette can be the problem (for instance, EDCO cassettes are really crap for me for shifting, whereas SRAM seem to work fine).

Also- is the shifting poor in any particular place in the block? (top, middle, bottom or poor throughout)?
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

is the mech bent?

I had a similar issue on a mechanical set up when the joint between the cage pivot and the cage itself got knocked and bent slightly

havana

by havana

I just switched to 11-speed, unfortunately this is the only cassette I've got. My other bike is 10 sp Campy.

The problem appears to occur in the middle of the cassette.

Sprockets on Marchisio cassettes sit into plastic spacers. The sprockets can be mounted 2 ways; with the little mark facing outwards or inwards. Not sure if it's important to install them all the same way. This could be the problem however.

I've sent Marchisio an email about this.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

ms6073

by ms6073

Have the derailleur hanger checked for proper alignment.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

havana

by havana

That's my next step. I've checked it about 6 times with a professional Parktool tool but it's probably a good idea to get a second opinion.

mattr

by mattr

havana wrote:Sprockets on Marchisio cassettes sit into plastic spacers. The sprockets can be mounted 2 ways; with the little mark facing outwards or inwards. Not sure if it's important to install them all the same way. This could be the problem however.
It almost certainly has something to do with it, the shift gates and ramps will be on the wrong side of the sprocket.

Either try (borrow) a shimano 11 cassette to check, or put your marchisio together properly and try again.

The change in chain tension between 34 and 50 may mask the problem in one ring, but not the other.

havana

by havana

Not sure how one should position those sprockets.

The largest sprocket (which is a normal sprocket so it will only fit one way) has the teeth mark facing inward.

The smallest two spockets (which only fit one way) outward.

Not sure how to position the middle sprockets.

Sent Marchisio an email for clarification.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

how about a nice ultrga cassette by the look if every thing is straight the elephant in the room is the Marchisio

havana

by havana

For some reason I had forgotten my wife uses 11 speed. Swapped her 105 cassette over to my bike. Problem fixed! Marchisio is on its way back to the supplier.

saeie1

by saeie1

I suffer from the same fine-tuning.
Especially, I am thinking about how to configure the Synchronized shift.

agravic

by agravic

This might not apply to you but it did to me for the littlest smoothness increase using a shimano chain vs. sram.

if all the other suggestions fail, try a shimano chain. might be placebo but I didn't have any hesitations or smoothness issues after using all shimano parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

agravic

by agravic

also. if you aligned the derailleur hanger 6 times, its already a bit fatigued. so may not be as stiff and rigid as a new un-fatigued hanger. Keep in mind, hangers are designed to have a set amount of deformation before it weakens.