How to make my Ridley Noah SL lighter??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fonzo89

by fonzo89

Hi everyone. Just wanting everyone's expertise on how to make my 2015 Ridley Noah SL lighter. Currently, it weighs 7.3kg and I'm wanting to hit 7kg. Here is the set up as follows:

Frame (small): 1100g (advertised as 950g for a medium, ha)
Fork: 400g
Proprietary seat post: weight unknown

Wheels: Fulcrum racing zero nite
Tyres: Veloflex corsa 25mm
Tubes: Continental tube race
Groupset: DA 9000 11-28, 53-39
Pedals: Speedplay chrome
Saddle: Fizik Antares with carbon rails
Stem: 3T team stealth 120mm
Bars: 3T team ergosum

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Shrike

by Shrike

DA 9000 is about 1998g
Red eTap is about 1905g

Bit spendy though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Without spending crazy money, I would do the following:

-tune skewers (30 - 40 gr)
-TI axles for your speedplays. Can be a little hard to find third party ones, but lots have had luck, me incl.
-Michelin Ultralite innertubes (75 gr each)
-Deda bartape (35gr all in)
-Extralite expander + light topcap and Ti screw (10 - 15gr total)
-Cut seatpost to lenght
-Do your fulcrum wheels already have the new (white?) alloy Shimano body? If not, you can loose 30 - 40 gr with the new Fulcrum body for Shimano.

All the above (not counting the body) would save you arond 150 - 200 gr.

And post a pic of your ride, those Noah SL bikes are very nice looking!

fonzo89

by fonzo89

Cool, thanks for the tips! Just wondering what does "tune skewers" mean? Do you mean the Shimano free hub? Mine are black not white :(

They certainly are nice to look at! Here is mine. Enjoy! 8)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2bhi0u6walmjkh/IMG_5356.jpeg?dl=0

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

tune is a brand

grumpus

by grumpus

Skewers usually a good gram/$ deal. Tune, or planet x will save some weight.

Your contact points could be lightened, but comfort becomes an issue for those parts. There are plenty of lighter saddles to choose from, kalloy stem would save some weight, titanium parts on the speedplays help.

Ti/aluminum bolts won't save a ton, but I think they're kind of fun. Aluminum recessed brake nuts, and rear derailleur pivot bolt are probably the biggest weight savers if yours are steel. Aluminum headset cap bolt, ti stem bolts. Last but not least, tubulars.

Delorre

by Delorre

fonzo89 wrote:
Delorre wrote:Without spending crazy money, I would do the following:

-tune skewers (30 - 40 gr)
-TI axles for your speedplays. Can be a little hard to find third party ones, but lots have had luck, me incl.
-Michelin Ultralite innertubes (75 gr each)
-Deda bartape (35gr all in)
-Extralite expander + light topcap and Ti screw (10 - 15gr total)
-Cut seatpost to lenght
-Do your fulcrum wheels already have the new (white?) alloy Shimano body? If not, you can loose 30 - 40 gr with the new Fulcrum body for Shimano.

All the above (not counting the body) would save you arond 150 - 200 gr.

And post a pic of your ride, those Noah SL bikes are very nice looking!

Cool, thanks for the tips! Just wondering what does "tune skewers" mean? Do you mean the Shimano free hub? Mine are black not white :(

For exemple, these quick releases (skewers) from tune https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=4465;menu=1000,4,171;mid%5B109%5D=1

The alloy body I mean is this one. Don't have the part n° by hand, bit it has been mentionned over here a couple of times already:
http://www.ebay.com/p/campagnolo-freehub-body-for-shimano-sram-9-10-11-speed-cassettes-os-axle/1041168363

Delorre

by Delorre

fonzo89 wrote:

Really nice one, best color scheme also :thumbup:

hannawald

by hannawald

Why are Ridley bikes so heavy? Do they use some old carbon layup technology? I like new Ridley Noah SL Disc with integrated cables http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/r ... ed-cockpit
but when I look at the technical info of their frames, frame in size M, unpainted is 1060g and unpainted fork is 540g. SL in the seems like a joke. Canyon Aeroad and many others can do it much lighter... this pretty much stops me from buying it..
Do you have any explanation?

sagatme

by sagatme

hannawald wrote:Why are Ridley bikes so heavy? Do they use some old carbon layup technology? I like new Ridley Noah SL Disc with integrated cables http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/r ... ed-cockpit
but when I look at the technical info of their frames, frame in size M, unpainted is 1060g and unpainted fork is 540g. SL in the seems like a joke. Canyon Aeroad and many others can do it much lighter... this pretty much stops me from buying it..
Do you have any explanation?

So heavy 'cause is a disc frame.

Frame with traditional brakes is 950 gr in size M and fork 400 gr.
Similar to Wilier cento10 air, and lighter then new Colnago Concept.

Maybe not the most light bike on the market, but... It's Aero bike.

Ridley Helium SLX sure is lightweight bike.

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

aero and disc is just part of it. Canyon Aeroad claims 980g for the same size. I guess it is for the painted frame as i think it is normal to claim a weight of painted frame.. if Ridley is 1060g unpainted, than it is cca 1160g painted.. almost 200g on a frame and similar will be for the fork as 540g unpainted is more than lots of 29 mtb rigid forks.. so Ridley is almost 400g heavier than comparable bike from Canyon? Cheap chinese aero frames claims under 2kg for frame, fork and seatpost, so it is about the same...

it is not a hate post about Ridley. I very like the bike appearance, Ridley brand story, it should be also comfortable for the category, but the weight seems too much as it is almost impossible to make it a reasonable weighting bike even if you put dura ace on it.

i just want to know the reason if they use some old carbon layup technology or other manufacturers are kidding with claimed weights (its unpainted, without bolts etc vs Ridley measures in a different way..)

sagatme

by sagatme

hannawald wrote:aero and disc is just part of it. Canyon Aeroad claims 980g for the same size. I guess it is for the painted frame as i think it is normal to claim a weight of painted frame.. if Ridley is 1060g unpainted, than it is cca 1160g painted.. almost 200g on a frame and similar will be for the fork as 540g unpainted is more than lots of 29 mtb rigid forks.. so Ridley is almost 400g heavier than comparable bike from Canyon? Cheap chinese aero frames claims under 2kg for frame, fork and seatpost, so it is about the same...

it is not a hate post about Ridley. I very like the bike appearance, Ridley brand story, it should be also comfortable for the category, but the weight seems too much as it is almost impossible to make it a reasonable weighting bike even if you put dura ace on it.

i just want to know the reason if they use some old carbon layup technology or other manufacturers are kidding with claimed weights (its unpainted, without bolts etc vs Ridley measures in a different way..)

They use fiber 50T 40T 30T as all top bike frames.

Simply they think less to extreme lightweight. It's the same choice of Colnago and Wilier, at least in the Aero models.

Just we need to ask if these more grams It means more stiffness in race performance. This is more important for me :)

Actually I have a Canyon CF SLX 2014, frame 780 gr, bike with race wheels is 6,5 kg.

I want a stiff Aero bike, more useful on my criterium races. I want performance, if this mean more 300-400 gr I can accept.
I'm looking for a Ridley Noah SL (size S) with eTap and my race wheelset (of 1180 gr.)

I hope to stay around 6,8 kg.

I can cut weight from components on my Canyon on saddle, handlebar, cable routing and skewers.

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

of course stiffness matters but than you have new generations and they are always lighter and stiffer... they may use same carbon but may be they have unnecessary overlays in layup because the manufacturing process is less precise.. i don't know..maybe it is because it was introduced 2014 and there is going to be new generation soon..

disc fork is 100g heavier than rim brake fork. i know they had to beef it up, but 100g, it seems to me that they just put there more carbon and that is, lack of engineering, trying to push their best..

but maybe i am wrong, i would like to be as i really like it except for the weight.. it would be very hard to squeeze the disc brake version to a reasonable weight..

maybe the weight is including thru axles or others quote the weight without paint as well..