Current gen SRAM cassette shift quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

Has SRAM improved the noise/shift quality for their current stuff? I haven't used a SRAM cassette since first gen Red and all of the ones I tried shifted terribly. I was thinking of going from 11-28 to 11-30 and they make seemingly the lightest option for those ratios, but if its going to shift slower/be noisey I'll just go Shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chello

by Chello

SRAM updated their Red cassette in 2012/2013 when 10 speed Red came out with the Yaw FD. At that point the cassette changed from open glide to x-glide and things improved quite a bit from both a shifting and noise perspective. If you haven't tried any of those cassettes they are quite good.

Mep

by Mep

Big improvement going from the first gen Sram Red cassette to the version with elastomers in between rings, which is what I have now. Shifts cleaner and definitely quieter in my opinion.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Don't buy SCAM if you want great shifting. Campy or Shimano only.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

Mep wrote:Big improvement going from the first gen Sram Red cassette to the version with elastomers in between rings, which is what I have now. Shifts cleaner and definitely quieter in my opinion.

May I ask what chain are you using? My XG1190 is noticeably noiser than 6800 cassette on Shimano HG-901 chain, curious if it will it be quieter on different chain.

Mep

by Mep

chiumomo wrote:
Mep wrote:Big improvement going from the first gen Sram Red cassette to the version with elastomers in between rings, which is what I have now. Shifts cleaner and definitely quieter in my opinion.

May I ask what chain are you using? My XG1190 is noticeably noiser than 6800 cassette on Shimano HG-901 chain, curious if it will it be quieter on different chain.

KMC x10SL. That said I had a Sram chain on before and they were probably equally quiet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

I just went from 105 cassette and chain to sram red cassette and kmc x11sl and they are much quieter and smoother shifting.