Ultegra 6800 brake feel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The brownish colour ones that come with 9000 and 6800.
Using Tapatalk

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Try a Yokozuna cable set-not super light, but has a great lever feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

rcb78 wrote:The 'grit' feeling is almost always the individual strands of cable rubbing across either a ferrule, poorly cut housing end, or something along those lines. You just need to track down the offending bit and correct it.

The above is the main culprit and this is made worse by the tortured route that some rear brake cables must follow. On some bikes, even with a perfect cable job, the lever action will still feel a bit scratchy, grindy, and with more resistance than is ideal.

FWIW, of the 7 road bikes in the house, only two have perfectly smooth feeling rear brakes. One has 6800 calipers and the other 6700, and both have external cable routing. The braking is so good (both front and rear) that these are the only bikes my wife and I will take when we travel to the the high mountains.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jwj410

by jwj410

Should feel exactly the same. Most likely your check your cable/housing for correct angles, length, sharp bends, etc. even just being a couple mm off can add resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwj410

by jwj410

I highly recommend shimanos's 6800/9000 series cable sets. The poly coating makes a huge difference

kevina6

by kevina6

Had the same issue, it was due to corrosion in the housing. Try spraying up the housing with a little ptfe/spray lube and see if that helps. It used to drive me crazy! Other option is replace cable and housing completely.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

This is such a simple task, yet you guys make such a big deal out of it. Cycling aside, apply troubleshooting 101. Pull cables and housing and run it externally for testing purposes. Ride around for few minutes and you will know the root cause immediately.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kevina6

by kevina6

mpulsiv wrote:This is such a simple task, yet you guys make such a big deal out of it. Cycling aside, apply troubleshooting 101. Pull cables and housing and run it externally for testing purposes. Ride around for few minutes and you will know the root cause immediately.

Nobody making a big deal, just offering some friendly advice as you are too.

If your going to pull the cable and housing you may as well replace them at the same time plus there will be so much slack in the line it'll give you very little idea of the lever feel.

The culprit here is most likely corrosion and the only real solution is replacement of affected parts or as a temporary fix lubrication.