Taking painted logos off carbon wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Friend just got Campy Bora one wheels. Logo's are painted on and he's wanting to take them off.

Dont know if epoxy, acetone or paint thinner would have an effect on the carbon.

grumpus

by grumpus

Zipp notes that acetone is safe for the carbon but will ruin decals. Might be just what you're looking for. http://www.zipp.com/support/maintenance ... 88_188.php

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4151zero

by 4151zero

Try using magic eraser on a test area.

GASer

by GASer

I doubt you can remove the logos on new boras. Seems that are protected with clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

I used a hairdryer to remove the stickers off of my Kask helmet - not carbon however worked a treat - obviously don't heat it up too much though :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No clearcoat on the new Boras, or old for that matter. They come out of the mold glossy like that. And the decals are not painted on. It's a very thin watertransfer type of decal. I have never tried removing them. It might be tedious, it might be easy... not sure having never tried.

I did remove a set of decals on the older (pre 2015) Boras a couple of weeks ago. But they are rather heavy vinyl type affairs that stick on to the rim. Peeled them off slowly then used a lot of elbow grease and Goof-Off (strong), and Goo-Gone (less strong) to remove the residual adhesive. They came out looking like new, except logo free.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

grumpus

by grumpus

I've taken water transfer decals off other parts with acetone. It takes a little bit of time and rubbing, but it works. Sometimes the last residue takes the longest to get off.

Swannie

by Swannie

GASer wrote:I doubt you can remove the logos on new boras. Seems that are protected with clear coat.

my carbon wheels have decals wich are protected with clear coat, i think my only option is to cover the decals with other black decals, or should i test acetone?

culovero

by culovero

Swannie wrote:
GASer wrote:I doubt you can remove the logos on new boras. Seems that are protected with clear coat.

my carbon wheels have decals wich are protected with clear coat, i think my only option is to cover the decals with other black decals, or should i test acetone?

I have a pair of wheels that had painted/clearcoated logos. I sanded off the clear and sprayed again with a two-part catalyzed clearcoat. They look fine now, but it was a ton of work.

Acetone might be fine, but it made me nervous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com