Does bike weight matter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

What I've understood is that 1kg equals ~4,5w in the WT level on long climbs.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikedkelly

by mikedkelly

I lightened my bike by 18 kg and climbing is so much easier now - oh wait, that was rider weight. :)

nycebo

by nycebo

Honestly, weight matters. Period. I think everyone on WW would agree that a 50lb bike would be harder to drag up a hill than a 15lb bike. I think what the OP might be asking is as what point does the increase in price or possible decrease in reliability/safety of dropping 1lb (or 1 oz for you fanatics) outweigh the benefits? And that, my friends, is a very personal question. To the former, if you're rich; have at it! To the latter, one would hope that manufacturers are concerned about rider safety and product liability. Witness Pinarella and the max weight for their ultra-light F8.

For my part, I don't know if I can feel an ounce, but I could definitely feel 3 lbs when I swapped into my carbon frame from a 20 year old bike. Did it lead to better PRs? Well, I've also been riding more. As an earlier post in this thread mentioned, RACING is the only true measure.

jlok

by jlok

Weight affecting average climbing speed is objective and measurable.

How people value the weight loss / speed gained is subjective.

Since it is WW forum, the value must be high.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

stockae92

by stockae92

that really depends. in reality, if you are not racing, weight doesn't matter. Just get a compact crank and 11-28(32) in the back, you can get over almost any hill (with enough time).

but i do enjoy having a lighter bike. i went from a 19 lb bike to 16.75 lb. Is the weight noticeable? yes. but not really matter when i am deep into the suffering of climbs, the pain is the same. LOL

a lighter bike won't make a difference if you will finish that climb or not, but it will make a difference on how fast you will get there (if the only variable is the bike weight)

Is it worth it? that's different by people. its worth it to me to a certain extend.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

My 20 year old self at 67kg on my then 21lb bike would kick my 49 year old ass at 84kg on an 18lb bike.