Does bike weight matter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xkomo

by Xkomo

Hi all!

This is my first post! I am cycling for about 5 years my Scott CR 1 and I am thinking to buy a new one. I think I am obsessed with bike weight. I like very much the Specialized tarmac comp but I think that it is heavy for its price. I believe that 8 kilos are much for a 3200 euro bike.

What do you think???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

To a point, weight matters. Then it becomes an obsession, often at the expense of function, performance and reliability, especially if you're a bigger guy. However, if you're a flyweight, have at it. You've found your Forum.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Yes it matters, but don't think a light bike for £2000 will be better than a heavier one at £3200. All bikes have there pros and cons!

Rick

by Rick

In the world of state-of-the-art bicycles, that would be considered "corpulent" if not "morbidly obese". I would worry that its mass could affect nearby seismic monitoring stations as you rolled by, creating panic over impending fault-line slippage.
On the bright side, if you have any friends who are yachtsmen it could be used as a storm anchor (assuming a strong-enough chain to support its mass).
Maybe they used lead-based paint ?

Tango

by Tango

Hello (my first post as well),

I was in quite the same situation and bought my new bike last year in october.
It was sold by another cyclist I found on the forum and as he wanted to buy something else.
If you are open for different brands or models you can take the next good deal you find and get more bang for the buck.
I wanted a Cervelo R3 but wasn't happy with the pricing.
At the end I got a Scott Solace (7.4 kg) for which I paid 1200 euros in as new condition.
Always visit the seller and take a look at things like the chainrings and small scratcher in the frame to get an idea if he's telling the truth.

Hope this helps you.

Shrike

by Shrike

Light bikes feel nice, mostly (if it's a decent, stiff one). Whether that actually affects your speeds, well, that'd really depend on your type of riding.

Climbing hills? Yes, lower weights can save you seconds. Maybe even minutes up a mountain.

If you're doing rolling or flat terrain then the weight is less important, and it's mostly more about how the bike feels.

(Aerodynamics are what you need to be looking at for performance benefits there).

It starts getting a bit more complicated. Weight v aero etc. Don't really want to start a wall of text assault on a new member, but generally speaking, aero 'wins' most of the time over weight.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Bike weight did really matter. But now the big (marketing) companies come up with aero framesets and discs, and suddely weight isn't important anymore...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Daniel1975 wrote:Bike weight did really matter. But now the big (marketing) companies come up with aero framesets and discs, and suddely weight isn't important anymore...

lol..........this.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Xkomo

by Xkomo

Daniel1975 wrote:Bike weight did really matter. But now the big (marketing) companies come up with aero framesets and discs, and suddely weight isn't important anymore...

Marketing!!! A big issue! For specialized the aero model weights about 350 grams more than the tarmac. It is really beautiful but I believe that it is really heavy because the complete bike in size 56 with pedals is about 8.4 kilos.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

No.

But it is quantifiable, so people fixate on it. Much like silly claims of "18% stiffer." They need something to convince themselves they bought "the best" bike.

evan326

by evan326

I really was hoping the first post would be BRM telling this guy to get out.

jlok

by jlok

GothicCastle wrote:No.

But it is quantifiable, so people fixate on it. Much like silly claims of "18% stiffer." They need something to convince themselves they bought "the best" bike.

this.

and i like light bike+1.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

You don't need a ww obsessed bike but you can definitely do better than 8kg for the money....

A light bike gives you an interesting ride experience and feel. I no longer care about aero advantage, never raced anyway.

stormur

by stormur

Xkomo wrote:

Marketing!!! A big issue! For specialized the aero model weights about 350 grams more than the tarmac. It is really beautiful but I believe that it is really heavy because the complete bike in size 56 with pedals is about 8.4 kilos.

That's mean around 1 kg more than my cyclocross bike ( in size L ) :mrgreen:

In real life you won't feel half kilo difference. make a test; go with someone to ride and during take 1 bottle filled with water, then give it back after while , and again, and again.... DID YOU NOTICED ANY CHANGE ? Nope. It'snot gonna happened. 700 gram ... to lighten you bike by 700g you need 900-2000€...

Does bike weight matter ? yes, more for lighter guys than for heavier. Much more on long steady climbs than on mixed/flat terrain. But not even close to as much as insisted here. In real life in majority ( if not all ) here, difference between 6.8 and 7.5 kg is totally irrelevant. What you gain thru that "extra weight" is durability and reliability. If you plan to ride the bike, naturally :mrgreen:

Beauty of the thing is in freedom. Anyone is free to use its money for anything, and that includes making bike as light as possible and not even rde it. Ever. But do not confuse this with performance of the bike. Many from "lightening updates" here has completely nothing to do with it.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

kode54

by kode54

there's a threshold. once you pass it...each gram costs exponentially more. get to the point where its obscene, it becomes outrageous.

so you have to decide where you need to be...where your wallet doesn't get too thin. then, there are ways you can 'tune' your current components where you need to have skills to shave weight. at least where you start to shave off grams at the top end.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com