Does bike weight matter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xkomo

by Xkomo

kode54 wrote:there's a threshold. once you pass it...each gram costs exponentially more. get to the point where its obscene, it becomes outrageous.

so you have to decide where you need to be...where your wallet doesn't get too thin. then, there are ways you can 'tune' your current components where you need to have skills to shave weight. at least where you start to shave off grams at the top end.

That makes sense but let's be more specific. For a 3000 euros budget, Tarmac comp which weights 7.8 kg or Scott Addict which weights 7.4 kg?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-T560 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

I don't disagree with the general notion that one purchasing a bike shouldn't overly obsess about weight (especially if you aren't rich!). However, there may be more going on here than simply weight. For instance, the lighter bikes probably also have higher grade carbon and more tailored carbon layups to give that "racy" feel that some bikes have. I, for one, find that feel a big reason why I love to ride my bike and push myself harder. So, that weight number may actually represent more than just weight.

In any case, 3k euro is a good chunk of change. You should be able to get something you really love with that budget. Do lots of test rides and keep an open mind. Especially about model year - if you want a 2017 bike, you are surely paying a big "new fangled thing" premium. But you could get a 2016 or even 2015 bike if you're lucky for a significant savings, and the technology is not really any different. Certainly nothing that would be noticed by 99% of people out there.

Feel trumps weight IMO, but I suspect the feel most of us like is highly correlated with the design of lighter bikes.
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

donald

by donald

There are many factors when going lighter that I and others talk about. If you have long climbs then you probably have long descents.. If the roads are not very good descending at high speed can be more critical on a very light bike, especially if we weigh more than average. Sometimes its more difficult to see the pot holes, cracks, etc., especially around curves. Good luck on whatever you desire in a lighter bike.

Mep

by Mep

Xkomo wrote:
kode54 wrote:there's a threshold. once you pass it...each gram costs exponentially more. get to the point where its obscene, it becomes outrageous.

so you have to decide where you need to be...where your wallet doesn't get too thin. then, there are ways you can 'tune' your current components where you need to have skills to shave weight. at least where you start to shave off grams at the top end.

That makes sense but let's be more specific. For a 3000 euros budget, Tarmac comp which weights 7.8 kg or Scott Addict which weights 7.4 kg?

Personally for <3000 euros I'd consider a Canyon Ultimate CF SL that's under 7kg.

kgt

by kgt

I just finished a short hilly ride on my Master x-light which is 3kg heavier than my Cipollini.
Weight matters...

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Weight matters, but not as much as you might think.

For example, Miguel Indurain, Bjarne Riis, Marco Pantani and Jan Ulrich won the TDF in the 90's on 19-20lb aluminum bikes. They rode those bikes very fast and set records on climbs that still hold to this day, despite technology that is decades old.

You could argue that those guys were enhanced, but I think todays riders are also on the juice. Also, you would think with all the advances in bike tech that the records would be broken. But really, the speed and performance of road bikes hasnt changed much over the years. However, geometries and functionality have changed tremendously. Back then, things were more simple. Nowadays, you have all sorts of different options for tire width, brake type, aero or light, cable management, different geometries, wide range gearing, material types etc... But really the performance is really not much different to be honest.

thomasheinz

by thomasheinz

As for me weight only matters as much as YOU want it to matter.

lecter77

by lecter77

i think that heavy weight of tarmac will have stiffness.
so if you like tarmac's design, you had better get tarmac

Xkomo

by Xkomo

thomasheinz wrote:As for me weight only matters as much as YOU want it to matter.

I am not sure if weight matters more than stiffness, as lecter mentioned.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

this is ww. it is the most important thing on this forum. and yes, it makes a big difference in acceleration and climbing for sure. flats not at all.

thomasheinz

by thomasheinz

Xkomo wrote:
thomasheinz wrote:As for me weight only matters as much as YOU want it to matter.

I am not sure if weight matters more than stiffness, as lecter mentioned.

Me either.

thomasheinz

by thomasheinz

oops wrong thread

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There was a test done in a magaizne. It touched the subject of weight and what we need to do to gain from weight saving.
This "test" claimed you need to lower weight 1/3. So if you ride a 8Kg bike, you should aim at a bike around 5.3 - 5.5Kgs.
I have my Open UP which with tools and fat tires is somewhere around 9.5kgs..
I also have Vial EVO D and it's about 5650g.
Yes, i notice a difference. But i could easily go for a bike at 6.8Kgs and feel that is low enough.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gitsome

by gitsome

GOOD GOD is this seriously being pondered on WW???! WHATS THE WORLD COMING TO??? lol. Thats a perfectly valid question ANYWHERE ELSE....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

May I suggest how to overcome this obsession? Start racing! As they say aero trumps weight, while I say racing trumps all.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com