Power2max vs powertap pedals? Help!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I'm finding it hard to make a final decision as my knowledge on the subject is incomplete so hopefully you guys can help me.

Power2max NG, s-works comaptible or powertap p1 pedals. They won't be being moved from one bike to another generally. But if I choose to sell the frame in the future isn't it a little short sighted to get a power meter I can't transfer to a different frame? Seems it's probably also hard to shift on second hand vs more universal pedals. I have a few wheel sets I use so hub based pm is not really an option.

The power2max has the weight advantage, is it also more durable? I have no experience of either system with regards software etc either. I feel like logically with the info I have I should be picking the pedals but I still find myself leaning towards the power2max... and I don't have the info to make an informed decision. I'm new to the world of powermeters as this post probably makes painfully obvious! Can you guys help show me the obvious stuff I'm probably missing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

I can only speak for Power2Max but I have had no issues with the four (1 classic and 3 Type S) units I've owned over the last few years. I only bought one new, the other 3 were from eBay or forums, all have worked great, plus they're easy to use, no calibration needed before a ride so no worries of forgetting to zero out unit every ride. I wouldn't use any other as none seem as "set and forget" as P2M

jeffy

by jeffy

broke 2 sets of p1. p2m still going strong. rock solid. no calibration. set and forget +++

commendatore

by commendatore

I always calibrate my p2m (through my garmin) before every ride and again 10-30 minutes down the road, before I start intervals or set off with a group. Is it REALLY unnecessary?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

I think the power2max calibrates itself as soon as the cadence is 0 for 15 or 30 sec

Stueys

by Stueys

Power2max every time. Mine has been absolutely rock solid. The only slight gripe I have with them is how quickly my type s responds to changes in power or cadence, it's slightly slower than my vectors. But I believe the new NG version addresses that.

jeffy

by jeffy

"Anytime you stop pedaling long enough (approximately 3 seconds or more) power2max updates the zero offset"

https://www.power2max.de/europe/en/support/faq/

The only slight gripe I have with them is how quickly my type s responds to changes in power or cadence, it's slightly slower than my vectors. But I believe the new NG version addresses that.

agree, it's very slight. will be interested if NG is better, i always assumed it had more to do with Ant+ being a once per second signal

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Thanks for your input guys. Definitely food for thought.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com