Fulcrum racing zero carbon vs fulcrum racing speed 35 ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

Trying to decide between these

Fulcrum racing zero carbons.
Pros.
24mm wide
Ceramic bearings
Fairly light
Cons:
Not necessarily a con but, clincher
Not as light as the racing speeds.

Fulcrum racing speed 35
Pros:
Lighter
Tubular
Not sure if as STIFF as the racing zero??
Cons :
20mm wide
No ceramic bearings
Tubular

Also in a tubular wheelset, is the rim width as important as it is with clincher?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Allen254

by Allen254

No one please help :"(

TonyM

by TonyM

To me just like this the main difference is clincher vs. tubulars.

You should however indicate your purpose (flat, hilly, high mountain, ....) and your ambition (speed, ...) so that we can give you more advices.
BTW, do you use already tubs?

Allen254

by Allen254

TonyM wrote:To me just like this the main difference is clincher vs. tubulars.

You should however indicate your purpose (flat, hilly, high mountain, ....) and your ambition (speed, ...) so that we can give you more advices.
BTW, do you use already tubs?

no i've never owned tubs but i have tried the ultra bora and the fulcrum speed 40's from friends and they are great wheels very stiff and light but not willing to dish out that kinda cash at this moment, but i can dish out on the ones i mentioned better price range for me at least.

my ride style is everything climbing descending and flats. i currently own a pair of boyds 44mm carbon clinchers.
alos was thinking baout the campy ones 35mm.

TonyM

by TonyM

The Bora 35 Ultra would be a first choice IMHO for you. They give you everything you want ;-) Ceramic, wide rims, stiff, aerodynamic, light,...You can't go wrong with these wheels!
But the main question for you will still be clinchers vs. tubulars. Many riders just want the tubs because of the weight; others don't want to bother with the cons of tubs (spare tub to carry for example).
If you want to "feel" a big difference with your current wheels, go for the Bora 35 Ultra tubular. At least you will "feel" the change with the tubulars, in the ride and in the maintenance.

sawyer

by sawyer

I wouldn't but narrower rim wheels now, but maybe I've succumbing to fashion

You're right that rim width is less important with tubs than clinchers, but for example the new Boras (24mm wide) are visually a perfect match for 23mm tubs and a very good match for 25mm tubs - much more so in both cases than older narrow profile rims

Re the fashion point, I'm not alone, with the obvious consequences for re-sale value ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Since you threw the Campy Bora Ones into the mix in your last post, that's what I would recommend. Same rims as the Bora Ultras and you could get either clincher or tubular. The clincher 35mm Boras have a very "aero" rim to tire interface, but the tubulars are, well... tubulars. They just handle better. Rim width for a tubular isn't as much of a factor as the radius of the rim bed. A large radius rim bed coupled to a narrow tubular creates a situation where the tubular naturally wants to pull away from the rim at the edges of it's glued surface. This is the worst case scenario as the edges are really the most important area you want to be sticking. On the other hand, a larger radius tubular tire coupled with a small radius rim bed, will tend to push hard at the edges but want to remove itself from the middle of the rim bed. Hence the "Belgium" method of building up the center of a narrow rim (with tape or whatever) to essentially create a larger radius rim bed for a better interface with the larger tire, which you often see in cyclocross.

I've found the older Boras (pre 2015 tubular), best fit tubular tires from 22mm-24mm in width. You can run 25's but the fit is not as good as on the newer Boras, where a 24-25mm tubular is really a perfect fit. I've tried 23mm Veloflex Carbons on the new Boras and they are just fine, but really do expose the rim brake surface a little more than I'd like to the dangers of the road etc. For the new clincher Boras, I think 23-25mm tires both fit well, and sometimes the decision is based on clearance in your frame. The fit of a particular clincher on a particular rim is very dependent on the rim width, versus a tubular which is encased in it's own shell and the inflated size will be the same regardless of width. The only thing you need to be concerned with is the match between the rim bed and the tubular tire radius, as I tried to explain above.

What frame and components are you using?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com