Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Bottom Bracket Drag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm 

While putting on a new chain I noticed the stock bottom bracket in my '16 Evo HiMod had a lot of drag. Preload looked good on the wave washer but when I spun the crank with no chain it would only go around 2 times max! So I installed a BBInfinite unit and now the crank spins almost as good as a wheel. I didn't think it'd be noticeable when riding but it definitely was.

My question is what impact does excessive BB drag have on a crank based power meter (power2max)? It seems like it wouldn't have an effect on the readings (meaning for a certain effort the reading would be the same as before), you'd just get more speed for a given power. Is that correct? Thanks!

Post subject: Bottom Bracket Drag
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm 

Post subject: Re: Bottom Bracket Drag
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:10 am 

Your thinking is correct. It doesn't increase your power output but less friction should equal to more speed, albeit the difference is probably too small to measure outside of a laboratory.

I recently had a BB go bad on me due to water intrusion. I suspect the dust seals are the culprit. I posted a comment in another BB friction thread. I'm now using another brand of BB that has higher friction. I'm hoping that more friction would equal to higher degree of durability.

I'm curious as to how the BB Infinite would hold up over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 am 

Hawk Racing bearings are phenomenal. Spin with very little drag and are maintainence free.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:27 am 

I have a s works tarmac with the OSBB bearings with Wheels MF BB30 bearings which spin forever without a chain and has lasted for well over 10,00k so far. Whereas my SRAM PF30 on my evo spins a few revolutions and stops. I similarly wonder about the benefits of a different BB but its quiet and not crunchy and hasn't changed from new so i wonder wether it is worth the bother - I think it is not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 am 

Ltoddokc wrote:
While putting on a new chain I noticed the stock bottom bracket in my '16 Evo HiMod had a lot of drag. Preload looked good on the wave washer but when I spun the crank with no chain it would only go around 2 times max! So I installed a BBInfinite unit and now the crank spins almost as good as a wheel. I didn't think it'd be noticeable when riding but it definitely was.

My question is what impact does excessive BB drag have on a crank based power meter (power2max)? It seems like it wouldn't have an effect on the readings (meaning for a certain effort the reading would be the same as before), you'd just get more speed for a given power. Is that correct? Thanks!

drag doesnt grow. if it takes - say , a fraction of a newton / the gentlest of fingertip pressure to get the cranks spinning , then thats all thats required to overcome. the difference between an unloaded (no chain) smooth setup and your draggy setup is that... its not going to multiply when connected to the drivetrain and going down the road at speeds.

thats why ceramic bearings, or ooing and aahing over freely spinning hubs is silly. it doesnt really matter.

your crank registers torque when it starts to deform from resistance of the chain pulling it back. the draggy bb adds negligible resistance to the system.

its effect on measured power and speed is virtually 0.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 am 

NiFTY wrote:
I have a s works tarmac with the OSBB bearings with Wheels MF BB30 bearings which spin forever without a chain and has lasted for well over 10,00k so far. Whereas my SRAM PF30 on my evo spins a few revolutions and stops. I similarly wonder about the benefits of a different BB but its quiet and not crunchy and hasn't changed from new so i wonder wether it is worth the bother - I think it is not.

With no offense but 10,000km is nothing. I rode 18,000km last year. I expect my BB to last 100,000km or more. The wheel bearings on my car could last 300,000km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 am 

No offense taken. Never said it was exemplary. Merely meant it had decent seals, and that lack of seals were not the reason it spun well. An unsealed Bb would have shat itself by now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm 

Ltoddokc wrote:
\So I installed a BBInfinite unit and now the crank spins almost as good as a wheel.\

You can find some good info from Friction Facts reports on BB efficiency. From memory, the swapping from worst to best would save you somewhere in the 3-5ish watt neighborhood, but again that would be an extreme exambple.

Slightly off topic, but relating to the BBInfinite system: What keeps that BB unit from working its way back out of your frame, either due to pedaling loads, or an impact like the bike falling onto its left side? I loved the old shimano one piece cartridge BBs, so I see the appeal of their construction method, but, unlike the Shimanos, the BBInfinite isn't threaded in. From the pics I have seen, it looks like it is solely a bit of loctite, and if people have individual PF30 cups working their way out how is this any better, particularly in the case of a poorly toleranced frame?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:14 pm 

TheKaiser wrote:
Ltoddokc wrote:
\So I installed a BBInfinite unit and now the crank spins almost as good as a wheel.\

You can find some good info from Friction Facts reports on BB efficiency. From memory, the swapping from worst to best would save you somewhere in the 3-5ish watt neighborhood, but again that would be an extreme exambple.

Slightly off topic, but relating to the BBInfinite system: What keeps that BB unit from working its way back out of your frame, either due to pedaling loads, or an impact like the bike falling onto its left side? I loved the old shimano one piece cartridge BBs, so I see the appeal of their construction method, but, unlike the Shimanos, the BBInfinite isn't threaded in. From the pics I have seen, it looks like it is solely a bit of loctite, and if people have individual PF30 cups working their way out how is this any better, particularly in the case of a poorly toleranced frame?

You're right, it's just the retaining compound they supply and friction. But the fit was VERY tight. Definitely heard the creaking/popping they mention in the manual. It was oddly reassuring to know it's in there that tight.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:14 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 pm 

I agree, Hawk Racing Bearings are now the only bearings I use!! Spin forever....almost

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Hawk Racing bearings are phenomenal. Spin with very little drag and are maintainence free.

myBHultralight