Campagnolo Bora ultra two pre 2015 decals, dry or soap and water fit ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ViggenNut

by ViggenNut

Any ideas, I read somewhere that they should be mounted with soapy water to ease alignment.... is this correct, don't want to wreck a set of new decals.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No No No... the pre-2015 decals are not water transfer types like the 2015+ wheels. They are vinyl (or something similar) with a strong adhesive backing. Just make sure the surface is completely clean and peel the decals from their backing and try to get them mounted as perfectly as possible. I just removed a set of these decals from a set of pre 2015 Boras. Took some effort to completely clean off the residual adhesive from the rims but they look brand new now, without any logos at all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ViggenNut

by ViggenNut

not sure the pre 2015 bora decals cannot be wet mounted.... post from Graeme f_k_
Attachments
BORA.JPG

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm going to defer to Graeme's statement of floating them on with soapy water then. I've only applied the small "CULT Bearing" decal so it was relatively easy to get straight without "floating". But I could certainly see how getting the big decals on perfectly could prove difficult because it would stick so easy. I never even thought of floating them on with soapy water as I would think the soap might prevent a good adhesion. But if Graeme says that's the best way then that's how I will try it if I ever need to again. Let us know how it goes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dj97223

by dj97223

Might make sense. Like when applying the 3M clear protective tape to a frame or car: use a soapy spray to float them on to the right spot, then squeegee out the bubbles. Spray the surface where they will be applied, the sticky side of the decal, and your fingers, to avoid unwanted sticking and finger prints. I'm sure you can find examples on youtube.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, it actually does make sense. I've got a spare decal set but after applying just the small one, I've thought sheesh... it's going to be a bear to get those big ones perfectly centered in one shot. Good to know because I'm sure I would have botched it up otherwise when the time comes.

fogman

by fogman

Can the Campagnolo Shamal decals be applied in the same manner? And what happens to the soapy residue once the water evaporates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

dj97223

by dj97223

Not sure about those decals. For the clear protective tape and similar decals, the correct mix is not super soapy. And it gets squeegeed out. Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_Rd6xur_I
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

ViggenNut

by ViggenNut

All done, 2 wheels fitted with new genuine Campagnolo decals using water with tiny bit of fairy liquid sprayed onto rim and decal glue side. Not too easy to do and needed to create a very clean floor space in garage with clean plastic sheet on floor to wet and mount decals.
Attachments
Bora 102.jpg
Bora 103A.jpg

dj97223

by dj97223

Looks great!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well done! And thanks @dj97223 for providing that info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

How did you manage to spell it wrong?? sorry, I am in the trade show business and it is one of my standard cut ups