Aero bars on non aero race bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

Does anyone do this?

Weirdly reason I'm considering this is not that I wanna get the bike to be aero. But I mostly care about putting my body in an aero position when I'm on the flats. Let me explain.

I have been riding in a TT like position where my forearms are on the top of the handle bars whenever I can. (i.e. straight flats where I don't have to do much gear changing or turning).

A pro doing this pictured below:

My body feels much more relaxed and I observe that I can push much more power like this. One obvious problem I'm having is forearm pain. While it's not too bad during the ride, I usually have bruises the next day especially if it's a 60 mile mostly flat ride.

I know obvious solution is to get TT clip ons but 99% of my rides involve huge climbs and let's face it, they look ridiculous on a non-tt bike :P

Question then is, do you think flat top aerobars might help with this situation? does anyone do it? Maybe I should find some super cheap ones to experiment with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Just get TT clip-ons, they will be the most comfortable option. Cyclists with TT clip-ons fall into 2 categories: Poseurs that think they look cool, and cyclists that have them because they know exactly what they need, and use them exactly as they're meant to be used. As long as you know yoi're in the latter group, you're golden. Even pros rock clip-ons when the situation calls for them e.g. uphill TTs.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Clip on bars are the the best option since they can be installed and removed in minutes.

They do give a 4th position for your hands/arms, so go for it.

If they make you more comfortable, you'll ride more.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

I have a PlanetX BishBashBosh gravel bike that I use for audax/brevet rides and I just _love_ the Syntace C3 clip-ons. Allows me to get as low as deep in the drops, but maintain that position for a much longer time. Di2 shifters for aero bars rock too ;-)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not weird at all. Why not invest in something like this
https://www.haero-carbon.com/en/shop/ha ... 55-limited
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

get some "mini" clip on aero bars. not nearly and large and bulky as normal clip on bars.

http://static.jensonusa.com/images/Defa ... 401B06.jpg

srshaw

by srshaw

I really liked the spinaci bars back in the day. I'd certainly buy some again if they fitted modern bars.

DaReef

by DaReef

riding in that position without bars is serious pro.

Especially if the bar is also slammed

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

wpccrunner wrote:get some "mini" clip on aero bars. not nearly and large and bulky as normal clip on bars.

http://static.jensonusa.com/images/Defa ... 401B06.jpg

Yeah, the mini clip on setup seems like a good way to go for use on a standard road bike, giving more security than the "ghost" aero bar position and taking a bit of load of the forearm. If the height of your drop bar is appropriate, you could run the mini aero bars, forgo the arm rests, and use the tops of the flat top aero bar as in the ghost aero position, but just add bit of padding like cork tape or self adhesive foam to the flat tops in the appropriate area to prevent pressure points.

Marin

by Marin

Yes, I have clip-ons for my road bike and use them on long rides sometimes. Actually I just got a new set and put them on my do-it-all bike today :)

You're getting 99% of the advantages of a TT bike that way since air resistance is dominated by your riding position anyway. After that, helmet and kit, the bike itself comes last.

otoman

by otoman

OP, I will apologize to you for all these illiterate Freds. You said you didn't want clip on TT bars and then they all tell you to get clip on TT bars. And Spinacci. #foreheadsmack.

Yes the flat top aero road bar is an excellent idea for you. Something like a Specialized Aerofly would be good. They are meant to be bare on the tops, but in your case you could consider taping the tops and putting an extra layer of padding where your forearms rest. I would think that would be vastly more comfortable than a round bar under your arms for miles and miles. I have used this handlebar extensively and it accommodates your position well.

The only downside to these flat top aero road bars as that you want to keep the tops horizontal. That may not suit your preferred bar angle at the hoods. I could never quite get Dura Ace hoods to be in the exact right spot for my hands/wrists on Aeroflys.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

beatle

by beatle

Yup, go for aero road bars with a flat top (air foil shape). I, and many others, use these style of bars to allow the IAB (invisible aero bars position). Please only use this when off the front or not around other riders as it doesn't allow a lot of control.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

My Allez DSW w/ S-Works Aerofly bars... I don't know if flat top bars make this any easier, truthfully.

Riding in the position you're talking about... on said bike.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

otoman wrote:OP, I will apologize to you for all these illiterate Freds. You said you didn't want clip on TT bars and then they all tell you to get clip on TT bars. And Spinacci. #foreheadsmack.

Yes the flat top aero road bar is an excellent idea for you. Something like a Specialized Aerofly would be good. They are meant to be bare on the tops, but in your case you could consider taping the tops and putting an extra layer of padding where your forearms rest. I would think that would be vastly more comfortable than a round bar under your arms for miles and miles. I have used this handlebar extensively and it accommodates your position well.

The only downside to these flat top aero road bars as that you want to keep the tops horizontal. That may not suit your preferred bar angle at the hoods. I could never quite get Dura Ace hoods to be in the exact right spot for my hands/wrists on Aeroflys.

In defense of us Freds, the OP seemed to be resistant to the idea of a clip-on due to the looks and because he rides big hills (so presumably he doesn't want excess weight). Several of us suggested mini clip-ons which would provide an aero hand hold but with less intrusive looks and minimal weight gain when compared to a full on Ironman distance tri-setup. Without UCI mass start regs to worry about (the OP doesn't mention racing) it is well worth considering clip ons as you only see pros using the Invisible Aero Bar position when they want to get aero but have no other option due to being in a mass start race. As soon as they get into a TT, out come the clip-ons.

And I will reinforce that even if going for a flat top bar, you need tape or some other sort of padding on the tops when riding in the IAB position as sweaty forearms and gloss finish carbon are a flat out dangerous combo, so there will need to be some sort of compromise made in aesthetics anyway in order to add grip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TheKaiser wrote:
And I will reinforce that even if going for a flat top bar, you need tape or some other sort of padding on the tops when riding in the IAB position as sweaty forearms and gloss finish carbon are a flat out dangerous combo, so there will need to be some sort of compromise made in aesthetics anyway in order to add grip.

I would agree with this. ^^^

To those suggesting clip-ons... I'd add that many clubs or group rides will not permit them on rides. I know that the 2 groups I ride with most won't allow riders with them or with TT bikes.