Power Meter For Campagnolo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lw11

by lw11

I'm riding the 2015 Campagnolo Super Record crankset and i'm looking to buy a power meter.

At the moment i'm leaning towards Power2Max however I don't really want to buy new crank arms if I don't have to as my current ones are only three few months new. SRM looks a bit expensive for my taste. I'm also considering the Powertap or Garmin Vector pedals.

Can anyone provide me their feedback on what they're using or what they've used.

Edit: I also note that Stages have Campy power meters now, however, I can't find any prices.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

$999 for SR $799 for Record and $699 for Chorus in USD , at least that is what they are listed on their site... I just bought a pair of Garmin vector2 and will see how close they perform to my quarq elsa on rotor cranks. I have heard nothing but great things about the P2M but I am running 5 spoke SR on a classic looking bike so the aesthetics are a concern, plus they are 2x the price of the garmin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I am using Campa Super Record 2015 also and switched to Power2Max last year (in combination with a Garmin Edge 820). I am very happy with these.
The SRM system was just too expensive for my taste (and I don't need the precision) and the other options were not really attractive in terms of reliability to me.
The Power2Max add just a little bit weight and they are "almost" SR quality. I kept the original SR crankset in case I have to repair the Power2Max I can still ride my C60. On my winter bike I have now also a Power2Max. My MTB have the one side Stage powermeter (only powermeter available for the XTR 10 speed) but I prefer the two sides powermeter.

MattN

by MattN

Stages are plagued with battery drainage issues even on the Gen 2 version, I'd stay away.

Delorre

by Delorre

MattN wrote:Stages are plagued with battery drainage issues even on the Gen 2 version, I'd stay away.

I think the majority of the gen 2 owner are more than happy. I'm one of those. >20.000 km without any issue at all, and that's inc a whole wet winter. And if you have problems, their client service is top notch from what I read.

mrgray

by mrgray

i went p2max but then went srm because i found i could get srm for alot less than i thought and also because i really like dhow it worked with the power control 7 which i find alot more reliable than garmin stuff (and battery lasts longer and i like it for whatever reason). i just sold off the cranks i had and swapped over. nice and easy. there is a guy on ebay from california who sells srm stuff at only slightly more than p2max costs.

on other hand i am currently selling a p2max crank on 4 sale forum that is campag (50/34 and 172.5)
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

lw11

by lw11

TonyM wrote:I am using Campa Super Record 2015 also and switched to Power2Max last year (in combination with a Garmin Edge 820). I am very happy with these.
The SRM system was just too expensive for my taste (and I don't need the precision) and the other options were not really attractive in terms of reliability to me.
The Power2Max add just a little bit weight and they are "almost" SR quality. I kept the original SR crankset in case I have to repair the Power2Max I can still ride my C60. On my winter bike I have now also a Power2Max. My MTB have the one side Stage powermeter (only powermeter available for the XTR 10 speed) but I prefer the two sides powermeter.

Thanks, did you buy the Type S or the NG? Do you also get ~400 hours until the battery dies and is it a pain in the ass to change?

AJS914

by AJS914

I emailed Stages and they said the Campy stuff wouldn't be out until April. Pioneer seems to be selling their Potenza kits now.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA ... /SGY-PMLTC

TonyM

by TonyM

lw11 wrote:
TonyM wrote:I am using Campa Super Record 2015 also and switched to Power2Max last year (in combination with a Garmin Edge 820). I am very happy with these.

Thanks, did you buy the Type S or the NG? Do you also get ~400 hours until the battery dies and is it a pain in the ass to change?

I have the type S. Changing battery is made in 1 min! No problem at all!

TonyM

by TonyM

MattN wrote:Stages are plagued with battery drainage issues even on the Gen 2 version, I'd stay away.

I am happy with my stage powermeter itself - but I prefer a two sides powermeter (which is unfortunately not available for the XTR 10 speed)

FMB51

by FMB51

I went with the Vector 2's last year. Very happy with them!! I have three bikes, all Super Record, 2 are EPS. The pedal swap with the version 2 pods is super easy!! I like having two sided power. Though I'm a weekend warrior, having two sided data really helps me with my pedaling efficiency. I'm sure more accomplished riders may not need that, but I really like it! I like the synergy with my Garmin computer. I know the pedals work with everything, but Garmin supplies a lot (way more than I need) data via their own head. If I were to buy another PM, I would just buy another pair of Vectors. My only personal 'gripe' is that my winter boots are too side to accommodate the pods. Small price to pay, but should be noted.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Garmin vector 2's for me as well. They just work.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Vectors since they came out, the only issue was I had to hang up my Speedplay pedals.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im also in process of deciding which power meter to buy.

Im using Campagnolo Record 2015, and dont want to spend big money for SRM or Power2Max, and also want to be as lightweight as possible, so im trying to decide between three:

1. Fevero BePro Pedals

- It will add 122 gm compared to Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals

- Not so expensive (same price as Stages only one side)

- Having power on both sides (im not sure if i need this, and it's main point of deciding)

- Negative side is that it can interfere with my shoes (Specialized S-Works 2014 size 43), so maybe i should need to add shims (which will change the stack and which i dont like)

- Ugly :)

2. Stages for Campagnolo

- Almost no added weight

- I can ride whatever pedals i like (im using now Look, but also have a pair of Time Xpresso)

- Look very nice

- Negative is measuring only one side (do i need both sides or its marketing?)

- And negative could be reliability (but as i can see on Gen 2 is much better)

3. Garmin Vector Pedals

- Positive sides:

- very good compatiiblity with Garmin Edge 520 which im using

- Pedal smoothnes analyzes (do i need this at all?)

- Measuring power on both sides (do i need this at all? )

Negative:

- Heavy

- Pods which is easy to brake as i can see, and also possability to interfere with my shoes

Im not racing in this moment, but riding like 200-250 km per week (and 3000-4000 meters climbs on that rides), want to improve my self so that why i need power meter.

The main thing i should clear is if i need double sided power meter or not?

I read a lot that even one side power meter with not detailed accuracy is good as soon as is consistent what it shows.

So which route should i go? Im riding Colnago C60 bike with Bora One 35 Tubular wheels (so hub is not option)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

3Pio wrote:Im also in process of deciding which power meter to buy.

Im using Campagnolo Record 2015, and dont want to spend big money for SRM or Power2Max, and also want to be as lightweight as possible, so im trying to decide between three:

1. Fevero BePro Pedals

- It will add 122 gm compared to Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals

- Not so expensive (same price as Stages only one side)

- Having power on both sides (im not sure if i need this, and it's main point of deciding)

- Negative side is that it can interfere with my shoes (Specialized S-Works 2014 size 43), so maybe i should need to add shims (which will change the stack and which i dont like)

- Ugly :)

2. Stages for Campagnolo

- Almost no added weight

- I can ride whatever pedals i like (im using now Look, but also have a pair of Time Xpresso)

- Look very nice

- Negative is measuring only one side (do i need both sides or its marketing?)

- And negative could be reliability (but as i can see on Gen 2 is much better)

3. Garmin Vector Pedals

- Positive sides:

- very good compatiiblity with Garmin Edge 520 which im using

- Pedal smoothnes analyzes (do i need this at all?)

- Measuring power on both sides (do i need this at all? )

Negative:

- Heavy

- Pods which is easy to brake as i can see, and also possability to interfere with my shoes

Im not racing in this moment, but riding like 200-250 km per week (and 3000-4000 meters climbs on that rides), want to improve my self so that why i need power meter.

The main thing i should clear is if i need double sided power meter or not?

I read a lot that even one side power meter with not detailed accuracy is good as soon as is consistent what it shows.

So which route should i go? Im riding Colnago C60 bike with Bora One 35 Tubular wheels (so hub is not option)

Funny, same situation, however I'm using a Stages on my Madone9, and having used Quarq in the past, I actually see no issues with accuracy from the Stages and the extra data from 2 sided measurement wasn't really useful to me either.

I have looked at the Powertap P1 and the BePRO pedals also, but I've decided to wait for the availability of the Campagnolo SR Stages, as it's more than good enough for my usage, almost zero weight penalty and aesthetically looks good on the bike.