Hints for 1" carbon road fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

garjo

by garjo

Some good full carbon 1" forks are Look HSC1,HSC2, HSC3
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

Slimtim

by Slimtim

I strongly recommend the super light Columbus Minimal forks. Full carbon and look great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Those Look forks are great riding forks but not for large guys, they were criticized for being overly flexy back in the day. I like them, but I'm 5'5 and clearly in a minority.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Rick

by Rick

I have a Look KG76 frame that I still ride; but the original 1" HSC fork was very flexy, such that it would shimmy at high speed. I replaced it with an Easton EC90SL fork and it immediately cleaned up the handling.
The Easton 1" forks are no longer made, but might still be available on ebay.
Also, I have always had very good luck with Ritchie components, so even though I have not had their 1" fork, it looks like a good one and worth a try.

pogue51

by pogue51

I'm currently hunting for the same thing for my MX leader. I've had the bike for a while and purchased the frame with a re spayed carbon fork.
Love the bike but looking to replace the fork with something that I know what it is. Merckx MAX forks are really hard to find and you're right, the weigh a tonne.
Leaning towards the Columbus Minimal. Seems to check all the boxes as far as rake etc.

good luck

spartacus

by spartacus

Just get a new Columbus minimal from U.K. I have one on my Calfee and it seems good.

Bmim

by Bmim

anyone have a ride report on the new Columbus minimal fork? Any comparison to the straight all carbon Fiandre being made by Mizuno up until the mid 2000s. Tha fork had alot of pro wins under its belt. Anyone ride both and have a comparison.

RyanH

by RyanH

I have a few hundred miles on my Columbus Minimal so far. It seems to be a really good fork. The fork judders a little under braking but so does my Evo fork. There's a certain point where a fork becomes stiff enough for a particular frame and any further comparison would require back to back rides, which at that point gets down to nit picking. This fork is at that level on my Litespeed Classic. It's night and day over the profile design fork (which is supposed to be comparable to the ritchey). It's also stiffer than my THM Scapula CT that was on my R5ca.

Mine was 300g cut with a CK steel crown race. Overall, I'd give it a highly recommend rating.

gonsales76

by gonsales76

I've got a Look HSC full carbon on my old Alan Supercarbonio and I'm very happy with it...

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

Stolensteel

by Stolensteel

I have been riding for 2 years with the minimal on a long steerer (61cm frame). It´s a bit flexi on the handlebar, but not too bad, most likely that translates in extra comfort. After all if you are looking for stiffness you are not going to ride a 1 inch frame. It´s light and looks good, I have been testing it on very rough cobbles and put at least 15000km in it. I don´t have any issues breaking.. I can only highly suggest it.
I was wondering if there are any news on this front though since 2017?

jmh

by jmh

RyanH wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:27 am
I have a few hundred miles on my Columbus Minimal so far. It seems to be a really good fork. The fork judders a little under braking but so does my Evo fork. There's a certain point where a fork becomes stiff enough for a particular frame and any further comparison would require back to back rides, which at that point gets down to nit picking. This fork is at that level on my Litespeed Classic. It's night and day over the profile design fork (which is supposed to be comparable to the ritchey). It's also stiffer than my THM Scapula CT that was on my R5ca.

Mine was 300g cut with a CK steel crown race. Overall, I'd give it a highly recommend rating.
What size tire can you fit on the Columbus Minimal? Would a 28mm Conti GP5000 on a 23mm wide rim fit?

MrStop

by MrStop

Specs state 25mm max, but everything I have read and been told is that a 28mm will fit the Columbus minimal fine. I'm looking at the Columbus Minimal for my LeMond viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171685. I'm currently running 28mm tires on Elite Drive 50V wheels which are 28mm wide and there is still a bit of clearance with the factory fork. I believe the crown to axle distance is the same between the Columbus and my factory. I guess you run a risk of your tires may be slightly higher than mine since they aren't stretched as much.

MrStop

by MrStop

Looks like the following 1" headsets might be available:
- Cane Creek 40
- FSA Orbit X
- Ritchey WCS Logic Threadless Headset 1-inch

Any recommendations on any of these? How about 1" expander, 1" headset spacers and stem shim (1" to 1 1/8")?

jmh

by jmh

Thanks. Grabbed a Minimal from Universal cycles last night with a Chris King threadless headset.

Going on a Serotta Concours Ti that had a F1 fork. That fork weighed ALOT and had clearance for 23mm tires... maybe 25mm with a narrow rim.

I've used a Omni Racer 1" to 1 1/8" adapter with a Kalloy Uno stem on a bike with a Ritchey, worked well. But I've got a 1" threadless stem on the way for the Serotta.

Off the top of my head, you need to add Chris King, Velo Orange, and Campy Record to your list of 1" threadless headsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrStop

by MrStop

Nice. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

Do they make lightweight threadless stems compatible with a 31.8mm handlebar? I'm running a Kalloy Uno also and it's hard to beat cost/weight wise.