School me on winter cycling gear.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

As i have lived my entire life in south east asia, I have zero knowledge about cold weather cycling. There are only two ways we dress to ride here - the lightest jersey you could buy, and perhaps a lightweight gilet for some morning climbing. Our 'winter' only goes down to 13c and that never happens more than 2 weeks a year.

I tried researching but still not sure what are the essentials I need. Next year i will live temporarily in the UK for a year so i think might be good idea to snatch some winter gears during Summer sale.

I get cold very easily.

So as far as i understand i will need:
1. Warm base layer like Merino, or mesh type if ride hard.
2. Mid weight jersey, if short sleeves might also need arm warmers?
3. Midweight bib shorts and leg warmers?
4. A windproof jacket. A waterproof ones if ride in the wet?
5. Shoescover.
6. Insulated gloves.

Ideally i dont want the hassle of wearing too many layers but afaik waterproof jacket usually does not breathe very well right? Let's say if i have to ride in 0-10 celcius weather range with chance of rain, what would be the ideal type of layers you pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ichobi on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Castelli Gabba and nanoflex with a merino base layer. Good for me down to 0 degrees with rain. If the rain is heavy & persistent it does seep in but if it's a passing shower it's fine.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

So you only wear that two pieces for upperbody? Seems convenient!

sungod

by sungod

uk weather is variable, the south is more benign, west tends to be wetter, north can be pretty nasty in the winter

the prevailing wind is from the west, tends to keep things mild/damp, but if the winter wind comes from europe it can go -5 and lower with windchill making it feel even lower still, even in london; in summer the same wind pattern can drive things into the 30s, neither of these are every year events, the point is it's variable

where will you be riding?

doing circuits at high effort and doing a long ride at easier pace need different clothing if you want to stay comfortable in the cold

i'd go for layers rather than rely on single items with a narrow range
arm/leg/knee warmers are versatile
neoprene overshoes
mesh base layer
gilet
wind/waterproof jacket
cap
gloves
balaclava if you'll be doing full winter rides

ichobi

by ichobi

I will be based in London. If it goes sub zero its more likely that i will ride on the trainer at home. Though would be nice to be well equipped and can ride whenever i want. Would love to explore parts of Scotland and Wales on bike. I agree that having more layers are easier to adapt. Willing to invest though.

PSM

by PSM

Best pants I've ever had is Craft "Siberian". For Swedish winter that is. Insulated bibs under that.

joec

by joec

if you are looking for groups to cycle with, there are some clubs around, I have ridden with some of the Ilford Crest on occasion.

http://crestcyclingclub.org.uk/

DaReef

by DaReef

13c isn't really that cold. However I rarely find that the temp is constant. At around that temp I use either Merino base layer or underarmour cold gear, either a long sleeve jersey or jacket, wind blocking bibs and full finger wintering gloves (I.e. The type that block wind but don't have insulation). I bring with me:

merino buff:
http://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-headwear/wool-buff

And a merino cover under the helmet:

http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-accessories-hat/mens-the-lid-sw0sc143?variationId=001
Last edited by DaReef on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

yup, only 2-3 layers, but I'm in Canberra which doesn't have the harshest winters. Gets below zero now and then but the sun still makes an appearance
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Broady

by Broady

As a Yorkshireman, I would kill for 13 over Winter.

mattr

by mattr

Two questions, one of which you've already answered (where). But *when* will you be arriving in the UK?

If you are arriving in the summer you may be able to accumulate the right gear as you go rather then trying to buy it all beforehand, as all you'll really need in the UK summer is your existing kit plus leg/arm warmers and an extra base layer or two.

ichobi

by ichobi

September this year - i am enrolling to a master degree program in SOAS university. Will return Oct next year. I lived in London before but i haven't gotten into road cycling back then.

Multebear

by Multebear

I'm in Scandinavia, and thats about the same weather as UK. October through march are very cold and wet months. Temperatures this Winther have been between -10 and +12 degrees celsius.

I'll second the above. Layers, wool for baselayers and socks, everything in the Castelli NanoFlex line. And a rainjacket in your pocket if there's a risk, the weather will turn on you. At least always a gilet, for when temperature drops. But I mostly have a non-rain jacket in the pocket. Suits several situations.

You need overshoes of different kinds. Light ones just for colder days, and heavy neoprene ones for the really cold days. If you ride through winter, then consider boots, like the Northwave arctic or GTX ones. They are invaluable on cold days. If it gets even colder, then consider battery heated inner soles like the happyhotfeet. They work beautyfully below 0 degrees. And nothing else has worked for me before I got them.

And another thing, when riding in northern Europe through winter, you need fenders on your bike as well. This helps keep you warm as well, since you dont get the wet spray from the road on you. Many teams wont even ride with you, if you haven't mounted fenders. And they need to be long - like really long. Raceblades long are not long enough. They need to be around 10 cm from the Ground or less.

This might seem like a lot of gear and a lot of hazzle. But I also ride the Streets every single day of the year unless the Streets are icy. If they are, I take my cx bike to the trails. Thats how you keep your form during winter if you want to stay in the top racing categories.

mattr

by mattr

So you might need to get a few bits then, long sleeves, waterproof, thermal base, mid weight tights. But not likely to need full on winter kit until you get here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Alright thanks all for the help. One more question - when do i need to wear a gilet vs a jacket? Seems like they crossover on functionality a bit? I mean if i have to wear gilet and armsleeves, isnt it easier to just wear a packable jacket instead?