School me on winter cycling gear.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MJB

by MJB

I ride mostly in the cooler months incl. all winter here on the southern fringe of Australia where I frequently encounter sub zero starts and plenty of cold wet and windy conditions on the road.

When it's cold and wet wind is your worst enemy. I find that it's more comfortable to ride in a lightweight wind and shower proof jersey - it's more comfortable to be wet inside from perspiration and protected from cold wind than it is to be drier inside but have no protection against cold wind.

I wear a fine woollen short sleeve base layer top when it's really cold and a regular quality long sleeve jersey with or without wind jacket depending upon how cold and wet it is.

In the glove dept layers are better for me. I'd stay away from the bulky padded commuter type shell gloves and purchase a few cheap pairs of foil ski glove inners and stick to a decent set of long finger cycling gloves to maintain finger dexterity.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

ichobi wrote:Alright thanks all for the help. One more question - when do i need to wear a gilet vs a jacket? Seems like they crossover on functionality a bit? I mean if i have to wear gilet and armsleeves, isnt it easier to just wear a packable jacket instead?
Depends, you might need to take the gilet off but leave the sleeves on. Depends on the forecasted weather.

That's the problem with the climate in the UK. I've had rides that start in bright sunshine and mid/high teens, when you get onto the tops, and exposed to the atlantic weather fronts, you might be looking at less than 5 degrees and sleet.

Or vice versa as the sun burns the clouds off.

It's all about flexibility.

Thankfully where i am now that phase only lasts for a few weeks in the spring and autumn. The rest of the time it's either really really f**king cold. Or really rather nice. So you can pretty much gauge your clothing requirements for the entire ride by sticking your head out of the window.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

temperature adaptation is obviously a personal thing.

i was raised in the tropics but im a cold-weather person, and my body warms up extremely quick.

down to 5c* i ride with a thin mesh base + mid weight long sleeve jersey + mid weight "jacket" (basically a windproof jersey)
full length bibs, mid weight gloves

wind is the biggest consideration. 2 outer layers really stuffs it.
mesh is to maintain separation.
legs are quite impervious to cold so i dont need winter weight bibs
mid weight gloves because i hate lobster mitts or feeling like im wearing ski gloves

i carry a lightweight gilet for backup but never really use it. nothing for my head. nothing for shoes.
gloves are really the only compromise since digits are easy to get cold. a thin liner + mid gloves give good versatility.

in the uk wetness would be a consideration. thats a point of discomfort. here i dont ride below 5* or if its wet.

wiggle dhb makes good stuff and their winter gear are on sale now.

Multebear

by Multebear

ichobi wrote:Alright thanks all for the help. One more question - when do i need to wear a gilet vs a jacket? Seems like they crossover on functionality a bit? I mean if i have to wear gilet and armsleeves, isnt it easier to just wear a packable jacket instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're wearing something like lets say a Gabba with short sleves, and use it combined with armwarmers, then a gilet wont do much for your arms. Thats the situation to bring af jacket. If it's warmer, and you ride with bare arms, then a gilet and armwarmers in your pocket would be more appropriate.

But if we're talking northern Europe winter, I'd say the choice is easy, because your arms will be covered all the time anyway, so the jacket would be the obvious choice.

When watching the spring classics and something like Paris Nice from last week - the first two stages, that's what the average fall/spring day would look like. Winter is even colder. And just remember - they are racing. If you're training, then there'll be coffestops, slow riding and so on, that just means you need even more clothes.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

look at adidas cycling products as well...used castelli nano items for a long time and made the switch to adidas this winter. really impressed with their stuff.

adidas pluvius jacket + longsleeve merino shirt and the long belgements bibshorts was all I needed for everything between 0-10°C. The jacket is wind and waterproof, but still very extremely breathable and the pant keeps you warm while the most important parts are also water repellent.

gloves and overshoes, depending on the condition.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

eins4eins wrote:gloves and overshoes, depending on the condition.

yeah where i see overshoes are good is if theres moisture on the ground. unless you have thick winter boots... getting waterlogged socks suck

eins4eins

by eins4eins

if its raining constantly or the roads are soaking wet, you're socks will become wet even with overshoes. water gets in from the opening for the cleats or from the top, when water is running down you pants/legs.
but overshoes will prevent your feet from cooling down because of the wind going through.

but in the end, you need to find out what works for you by yourself. everyone is different. Some don't mind becoming a little bit wet, others need to kepp their core perfectly dry to feel comfortable.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Dedicated winter cycling shoes are so much better than overshoes.

rothwem

by rothwem

bremerradkurier wrote:Dedicated winter cycling shoes are so much better than overshoes.

I'm not sure if other people have had this issue, but I bought a set of winter shoes, and they had a different stack height than my non-winter shoes. I had to bump the seat up every time I wanted to ride when it was cold out.

I guess it's not that big of a deal when it stays cold for a long period of time, but where I live, it dips in and out of cold temps all winter.

ichobi

by ichobi

This has all been very constructive, so thanks bunches for suggestions. I will begin with some core pieces and experiment along the way. Will look into Adidas as well. Just used their new sunglasses that the movistar team is using. Amazing lens and fit, comparable to the best Oakleys.

Valy

by Valy

Broady wrote:As a Yorkshireman, I would kill for 13 over Winter.

You mean for summer?)) (NE)

karmaz

by karmaz

bremerradkurier wrote:Dedicated winter cycling shoes are so much better than overshoes.

+1 on this, they made a huge difference in keeping my feet warm.

One thing to keep in mind about riding with a jacket, especially a rain jacket, as you increase the effort you increase your body temp. But the jacket will trap the heat and you will start to sweat, and the jacket will trap the moisture, so as soon as you stop you will start freezing due to the damp clothes.

Merino base layer + long sleeve jersey (preferably with some windstopper material for colder days) go a long way.

TonyM

by TonyM

rothwem wrote:

I'm not sure if other people have had this issue, but I bought a set of winter shoes, and they had a different stack height than my non-winter shoes. I had to bump the seat up every time I wanted to ride when it was cold out.

I guess it's not that big of a deal when it stays cold for a long period of time, but where I live, it dips in and out of cold temps all winter.

I am using my winter shoes only if they are really needed as they have indeed a different stack height :-(
Overwise Assos overshoes. Expensive but good!

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I love merino mesh!!! I use devold stuff because I live right near the outlet factory. Works well for me in norway. I only ride outside down to around -5 or so. I find when it's down around 0 then more wool layers and a not so tight winter jacket (i.e. Looser than a gabba) works better for me just so it's not too restrictive. I also use a balaclava below about 4C to prevent sinus infections.

Cling film under shoe covers is the best solution I've found yet for keeping feet reasonably dry in the wet.

Fwiw I'd say I'm more used to the cold than most. The vast majority of my riding is under and 15C I was one of the few wearing shorts in mallorca in feb this year. Fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

mr4fox wrote:Cling film under shoe covers is the best solution I've found yet for keeping feet reasonably dry in the wet.

How do you proceed? Cling film around all your shoes and then the shoe cover on it?