Slam That Stem Question.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys.
Originally my stem looked like this.Image
Then two weeks ago i dropped slightly to this, which i feel more comfortable with.Image
And then i bought this to go lower.Image
Now after taking the stem and spacer off i came across this problem.
Even with removing the two micro spacers the upper head set bearings are to high. The gap between the dust cap and headtube should only be a papers width. Does this mean i need to change the bearings to one that sits lower.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

You could ditch the A junction holder and get the same drop on the Standard cover and use double sided tape to locate the A junction. Lighter and lower.

;)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes that was one option that I was considering, will try that first, but I still would like to use the other cap on it's own with the junction box stuck under the stem. Lower the better for me.
What tape would you suggest please. !!
Cheers

Marin

by Marin

The cover in the 2nd pic fits your headtube and bearings. It *covers* them.

If you get a bearing cover that's too shallow to cover the bearings, my suggestion would be to use one that fits - and you already have it.

Alternatively, I volunteer to take that badly designed frame off your hand so you can get one with flush bearings to fit your slamthatstem cover! :D

Fixie82

by Fixie82

You could try to fit a rubber shield or even a large rubber o-ring to fill the gap between top cap and frame. Some Ritchey dust cover/top caps have a rubber skirt that hangs down, you could try a few bike shops and see if they have something that fits?

Alternatively BMX headsets come with some pretty low bearing covers, Stolen has a pretty cool rubber one which has deeper sides and would fit really well. Light too. It's called the Stolen Implant.

Or you could simply take a hacksaw to your current top cap and make yourself a low profile one. I've done it on one of my bikes which had a taller bearing arrangement similar to yours (Acros?). Took all of 10mins to cut, sand, re-coat and install.

KCookie

by KCookie

The caps are suppose to be universal.
Sorry Marin, you can't have my badly designed frame. :D

Fixie82

by Fixie82

The Slam that Stem covers were designed for Tange headsets supplied with Cannondales. They fit a lot of other headsets but certainly not universal

KCookie

by KCookie

I was on the understanding that if needed using the micro spacers it would fit. O well never mind. !!!

Fixie82

by Fixie82

On closer look the second top cap has a rubber skirt, is it removable? Can you place that under the Slam that Stem cover?

Technically you don't even need one, so if you really want to Slam just run it without. Oh and take Nefarious's suggestion and ditch the Di2 spacer. Wasted mm's there.

KCookie

by KCookie

Fixie82 wrote:On closer look the second top cap has a rubber skirt, is it removable? Can you place that under the Slam that Stem cover?

Technically you don't even need one, so if you really want to Slam just run it without. Oh and take Nefarious's suggestion and ditch the Di2 spacer. Wasted mm's there.

I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can remove it.
Yes I'll ditch the DI2 holder as it has been on my mind for a while, plus it will save 7g.
Is there a special tape to stick the JB under the stem.
Cheers

tonytourist

by tonytourist

You could see if switching to a shorter compression ring would solve your issue.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

what brand is this frame. Top bearing looks ill-fitting.....

KCookie

by KCookie

nathanong87 wrote:what brand is this frame. Top bearing looks ill-fitting.....

Lightweight Urgestalt.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Here's a pic of the top cap I cut down as the headset on the Stork, which is an Acros, had a higher assembly and left a gap just like yours. Without changing out the bearings and retention sleeve this is a low as it's going.

ImageImage

by Weenie

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks Fixie82 for the pics, another solution to think about.