Spacers for SRAM GXP team BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leicaman

by leicaman

Hi all
I have a 68mm English threaded frame. When I came to install the SRAM team GXP BB in the frame I found that there were two 2.5mm spacers in the box. I wasn't sure whether to use these spacers or not. I found some different opinions online so I checked the SRAM instructions. The sram online instructions say that I need both 2.5mm spacers however some people say this is an error from SRAM. They seem to say that the crank will cease up if they use two spacers.

Does anyone know what spacers I should use. Anyone got the same BB and frame BB size? What did you do?

I have installed it with no spacers as quite a few people said I shouldn't use them. There is a bit of creaking coming from somewhere and there is a very tiny amount of play in the cranks. I'm guessing the noise is coming from there and I have a feeling that the problem stems from having no spacers.

Cheers

grover

by grover

The 2.5mm spacer are to use on a 68mm shell when installing a MTB crankset.

If installing a road crankset you do not use them.
If installing a MTB crankset on a 73mm shell you do not use them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

@grover is correct.

I'd suggest you start again with the install.

Grease on the threads and cups properly tight.

NDS crank bolt also properly tight.

The GXP system locks the NDS of the spindle to the NDS bearing so there should be no possibility of play.

Properly installed it's an excellent, simple system.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

goodboyr

by goodboyr

As others have said, the secret to a good long lasting GXP install is to grease the splines well, torque it up good (and GXP needs a pretty high torque), and if there is still play, take it off, and repeat above. You are working the crank onto the splines as you torque and grease it up, and sometimes the first go round won't get it there, in particular on a new crank. You need to torque it far enough to get it to bottom out on the shoulder.

leicaman

by leicaman

That's great. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. Will give it another go.

Cheers