Rotor chainring bolt/nuts to long for my Red 22 chainrings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ill principe

by ill principe

I´m about to mount the chainrings on my powermeter. After tightening to spec (7-8Nm) I can still rotate the bolts (not by hand, but quite easily with an allen key) so my feeling is that the nuts are to long and thus not holding the rings tight enough. Am I correct in my assuption?

Components used: SRAM Red 22 chainrings, Rotor chainring bolts and Power2Max NG.

I used Rotor bolts on my other bike with P2M Type-S and Praxis Works chainrings without issues.
Last edited by ill principe on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ill principe

by ill principe

I have measured the inner part of the nut to 7mm (red line on image below). Are other brands of nuts shorter?

Current:

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

ill principe

by ill principe

To answer my own question and put this thread out its misery I solved it by filing down the nuts a millimeter or so. Enough to stop them tighten against themselves and instead clamping the rings to the spider.

Thanks Road Cycling UK for the idea
Current:

Retired: