Alligator I-Link Brake and shifting system

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Anyone have issues with this kit? I bought the internal brake kit, at the recommendation of Fairwheel Bikes, and since I have internal cable routing on my SL. Last night while attempting to install it, I notice that the length of I Links is considerably short. As in about 5" short. It also came with some normal 5mm cable housing which I thought was strange since it's supposed to be all I Link. At least that's what I thought.

Am I supposed to use the normal 5mm housing for the bars and add the I Link to that to run everywhere else?

As for the shifting system, the kit doesn't come with the proper 4mm ferrels to fit properly into the shifters (Campy) so the ferrel that is in the kit is just pushed up against the shifter body.

Am I missing something here? I figured that spending that kind of money on a cable system it would first be a pretty straight forward install, and that it would come with the proper pieces.

Oh and did I mention that the so-called instructions that are included, are completely worthless.

Please help!

sungod

by sungod

there are videos on their website for each kit, check which you have...

http://www.alligatorcables.com/category ... e-Kit.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

It definitely shouldn't be short. Not sure how that could have happened. I run them upto and into the the shifter body. It probably isn't possible, but obviously you shouldn't be running the outers through the frame.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

The normal housing I believe is to run under the bars (the extreme 90 deg angle) then continue towards the stem (the ilinks would kink at such an angle) with the ilinks and down to where they go into your frame.....

JSeb95

by JSeb95

The housing is used from the shifters to where the bar tape ends. Once the bar tape ends you start the ilink system. The ferret should.be there as a converter. If not Jagwire makes them and if not then your local bike shop can find it and probably gift you it if you are a loyal customer.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

NiFTY

by NiFTY

When did ilink start using normal housing out of the shifter? I thought it was only jagwiee that used this approach.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

NiFTY wrote:When did ilink start using normal housing out of the shifter? I thought it was only jagwiee that used this approach.

Yeh, I never had this with my i-links. I route mine through my bars and it's been less than ideal, so could help here. I think the wider part of the segment gets caught in the entry to the handlebar. Just under the tape it was great though.

Bogan

by Bogan

NiFTY wrote:When did ilink start using normal housing out of the shifter? I thought it was only jagwiee that used this approach.

That's what I thought. I run the links all the way to the shifters. Never been an issue.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

RyanH

by RyanH

I've purchased quite a few of these kits and have never seen it shipped with normal housing. On campy though, the brake won't fit into the shifter. I work around this by running two cm of Powercordz swift housing which is smaller diameter for that last portion. They butte up against the ilinks well.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

I ended up just putting the standard housing under the bar tape to make it work. I emailed Fairwheel as well and will try to get some more of the Links. Not too happy with having to put the standard housing in there, but it's working fine now. The good thing at least is that the housing slid right into the shifter brake port.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

BigPoser, does your frame have cable stops for the rear brake cable?

BigPoser

by BigPoser

5 8 5 wrote:BigPoser, does your frame have cable stops for the rear brake cable?

Yes it does.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i don't use the std housing supplied with the jag wire either its a waste of time.. why add in the std housing and loose your non compression of the system :noidea:
Last edited by sugarkane on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

sugarkane wrote:i don't use the std housing supplied with the jag wire either its a waste

I certainly didn't want too either, but couldn't wait another 3-4 days before I got more I Links shipped to me. I'll have to get some more and then redo them once I feel like it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

BigPoser, it sounds like you may have the wrong kit. The "Internal" kit is for frames that run the outer cable all the way through the frame. The regular kit has a lot more links, 1500mm versus 800mm.

I'd recommend replacing the cables under the bartape with links as soon as possible for best performance.

I'm surprised Alligator still doesn't include special links for installing in Campag levers. The way I got around it was to turn down some of the regular links.
Put a link on an awl or spigot and sand the outer edge down high-spot until it's a slide fit into the lever body. As they are aluminium it's very quick and easy to do.
I think five modified links per side are required then you can have a full run of links from lever to brake or cable stop.