Titanium Stems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

provo

by provo

Looks like a very nice product! I had no idea this might exist.

Thanks!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Limited lengths though...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

The 3 TTT stem is one of the stiffest titanium stems on the market so that shouldn't flex. If you go with any TI stem DO NOT use the titanium bolts that come with it, go down to your LBS and get a set of cromoly or stainless steel bolts instead, the TI bolts have been known to break under fairly light torque, and you don't want those failing on a ride. Yes the steel bolts will weigh more but only maybe 15 grams more.

provo

by provo

Thanks froze!

Mike V

by Mike V

Check out Ti Cycles in Portland Or. They make custom Ti stems.

provo

by provo

Ok thanks Mike, I will keep that in mind!

kode54

by kode54

a treadless conversion will open up more options for stems in Ti.

i assume that you plan to use this bike for commuting or just tossing around? if that's the case...it'll more than stiff enough for you which ever direction you take. a Ti quill stem will be harder to source in your length than a treadless option. when i did a conversion years ago when i had a quill stem, it was okay...not the best solution, but fine for commuting. since i don't commute anymore, i had no need for the older bike. i forget what adapter i used, but as @11.4 mentioned, a Nitto adapter will work for you. you can find various stems in Ti. Litespeed used to make quite a few. Moots is rather expensive. you can find various ones from China on eBay. J&L Titanium stems seem to be a good source.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

provo

by provo

Ok thanks Kode54, I will keep that in mind as well. Yes this is a commuter bike. I think I may just go all the way and change the fork/headset to threadless eventually.