Any Campagnolo 2018 news?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

They might add something to their range...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

This would have been 2017 news rather than 2018 but I only noticed it today on a just-arrived Potenza HO chainset. The UT Hirth joint now has one big spline meaning it can only be assembled in one orientation. No more noticing, after tightening, that your cranks are not quite at 180 degrees. Nice detail, I think.

AJS914

by AJS914

I also keep seeing good deals on some Campy stuff. Does prior year stuff always get discounted just before new year annoucements are made even if there aren't major changes?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Miller wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 pm
This would have been 2017 news rather than 2018 but I only noticed it today on a just-arrived Potenza HO chainset. The UT Hirth joint now has one big spline meaning it can only be assembled in one orientation. No more noticing, after tightening, that your cranks are not quite at 180 degrees. Nice detail, I think.

Ha... I did exactly that a few weeks ago... just one spline off... it's easy to catch and correct, but with that new revision, it would be impossible to get it wrong in the first place.

Someone asked if I had any more info that I could share on why I thought a new crank might be in the offing. Since this is on a public website, and they've had ample time to take it down if they so chose... I will show it again here... along with my thoughts...
Ok... here's my thoughts... simply from looking at the photo... no official word from Campy or anyone else...
- Looks like it could very well be a one piece axle design, instead of the two piece hirth joint we have now.
- Basically perhaps a resurection of the Overtorque 30mm spindle crank that never really went anywhere and they stopped development on.
- Mechanical preload similar to Shimano, and I presume the end of the non drive side would have splines.
- If they go with the mechanical preload, I suspect they would also do away with the wavy washer.
- The one piece spindle, might very well mean that they are going with bearings that are not pressed onto the crank like they are now, but rather a slip fit like shimano etc., where the bearings would be installed in the cups in the frame then the crank would be installed from the drive side with the non drive side crank arm being attached to the end, same as Shimano.
- 30mm spindle... there may very well be enough space to accommodate a 30mm spindle here using proper size bearings, and this could be one of the main reasons for their collaboration with Ceramic Speed. I don't know, simply speculating.
- If they did got to a 30mm spindle, that would probably mean lighter weight overall.
- The lighter weight would come from being able to make the spindle out of an aluminium alloy I presume, as opposed to steel.
- However, if they do go to an alloy spindle, I would hope they account for the expansion and contraction of the alloy by adding some tight sleeve betweenn the bearing race and the spindle made of a polymer that would allow for this expansion and contraction due to temperature swings. Chris King does this on the PF30 BB's.
- The expansion and contraction of an aluminum alloy sleeve has the potential to sometimes lead to unwanted creaks etc. We all hate creaks with a passion. To appreciate that the expansion and contraction is real, just consider how many people with Cannondale's Hollowgram cranks will stick them in the freezer overnight to make them easier to install throught the bearings.

So, this may be nothing more than just an addition of a 30mm spindle option to their crankset lineup, to reinstate the void left when they stopped developing the Overtorque crankset. Or, you may look at this as Overtorque V2, if it is indeed a 30mm spindle in there. I would think that perhaps the current lineup of cranks will remain unchanged, as the steel spindle works very well in the 24-25mm spindle size. And the hirth joint, coupled with pressed on bearings and a wavy washer, works very well in practice.

I'll be curious to see how much, if any, of what I just said, turns out to be true.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mag

by mag

That crank is just a Photoshop work I'd say. Compare it with the SRAM Red crank on the following photo Image

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What am I supposed to be comparing... the pic you show is a SRAM crank. The one I show is definitely a Campy crank, but not your normal ultratorque. I doubt there's any photoshop work going on. What exactly do you think might be photoshopped?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

It looks like the Campy crank has an SRAM bolt cover.

The questions are why would Colnago photoshop that and if Campy had a new top secret crank why would they give it to Colnago to photograph ahead of time??
Last edited by AJS914 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 pm
It looks like the Campy crank has an SRAM extractor bolt.
Yes, they look the same, but I wonder if that's just possibly the new version BB from Ceramic Speed. In any case, on a current Ultratorque crank, that would be completely hollow in that area. So either it's a complete photoshop or a new design. I'm not familiar enough with SRAM to say how the SRAM pic differs from their standard cranks, if it even differs at all. Guess we'll know soon enough. At least I hope it will be soon.

robertbb

by robertbb

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 pm
I also keep seeing good deals on some Campy stuff. Does prior year stuff always get discounted just before new year annoucements are made even if there aren't major changes?
Where are the discounts, and on what?

(... please PM me if against forum rules to post on here?)

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm not talking firesale prices but definitely lower prices on some stuff I've been looking at.

I picked up a Chorus HO medium rear derailleur for $190 recently which was the cheapest I had ever seen it. I was thinking of getting a new crankset to refresh my whole drivetrain and found a Chorus for $350 at probikekit (10% extra off) which is the cheapest I've seen one. I see the Potenza crankset for $119 on ebay (seller: Velomine). I was thinking of one of those to go with a Pioneer power meter.

Miller

by Miller

Be careful on Potenza chainsets, on launch Potenza was PowerTorque2, not UT, meaning the LH crank fixes with a self-extracting 14mm hex nut. The release of the disc groupsets last year gave rise to a running change on Potenza such that Potenza HO chainsets are now UT, as pictured above. The PT2 chainsets are a lot cheaper at the moment than the HO chainsets.

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that they are UT now. That makes an HO Potenza crank even more desireable to me.

cveks

by cveks

what is difference between Campagnolo Potenza regular and HO version? I know HO is since 2018.

cveks

by cveks

Miller wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:41 am
Be careful on Potenza chainsets, on launch Potenza was PowerTorque2, not UT, meaning the LH crank fixes with a self-extracting 14mm hex nut. The release of the disc groupsets last year gave rise to a running change on Potenza such that Potenza HO chainsets are now UT, as pictured above. The PT2 chainsets are a lot cheaper at the moment than the HO chainsets.
what is difference between PT2 and HO ?

I just got very cheap Potenza crankset for just 90 euro not HO version. HO is much more expensive.

Are both version compatible?

What does work and what does not?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cveks

by cveks

Also I bought Potenza rear mech version RD17-POS1M

Is this powershift or HO version? Looks to me as powershift?

For this mech I need older powershift shifters right?

For HO I need both HO version of shifters and rear mech?

What is difference ? With powershift I shift up only one speed at time and with HO I can shift up to three?

Please clarify if you know answers :)